• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

LOST: A year later

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
Good column by Alan Sepinwall

Review: The 'Lost' finale a year later

My thoughts. I can't believe compared to how into this show I was from 2004-2010 how little I've thought about it in the last year.

I've thought about it a few times....and agree with the author that there hasn't been anything that could keep the audience captive like LOST....nothing that has been on has had that anticipation or been as conversational as LOST.

I also made sure not to rewatch any of the episodes until I could get the Season 6 (or entire series) on Blu-Ray...so I can't wait to go back and watch the final season again.

Best Lost Episodes:

1. The Constant
2. Through the Looking Glass
3. Greatest Hits

Best Lost Characters:

1. Desmond
2. Hurley/Charlie relationship
3. Ben Linus

no love for Artz?

things-that-make-you-go-kaboom-20080213074802873.jpg

Nikki and Paulo were also awesome

lost-nikki-paulo.jpg

Best Lost Episodes:

1. The Constant
2. Through the Looking Glass
3. Greatest Hits

Best Lost Characters:

1. Desmond
2. Hurley/Charlie relationship
3. Ben Linus

Good list. I think the Candidate deserves some consideration as well.

Anyway, I don't think I'll ever be as attached to a show as I was to Lost. It really bordered on an unhealthy obsession, and I didn't start watching until right after season 4. I'm not thrilled with the way everything was resolved, but the ride was so much fun.

I watched it all on netflix...and by the time I got to the last season I didn't even make it halfway through. Should I bother finishing?

I loved that show. It's the only show that had me that pumped to watch every new episode. It did season finales better than anyone else ever has, and while I acknowledge people had problems with the series finale and the final season, I liked how it was resolved.

It's a weird thing for that show's fans, though. I think those people who were super-obsessed about the theories ended up disappointed, while those of us who cared more about the characters than having every mystery solved, were really satisfied.

I liked the mysteries more in the first couple seasons, then when it became obvious they couldn't tie up everything, I went along for the ride and enjoyed the characters more. Either way, it would be awfully difficult for a series to captivate that many people ever again.

The Constant was one of the most dramatic TV episodes I've ever seen. Just incredible television.

I can't think of any other TV show that actually had me shed a tear....and I did that a couple of times with LOST....

Greatest Hits and the Series Finale mainly.

Agree with whoever said LOST bitchslapped the rest of the TV world with their Season Finales....just incredible writing and suspense.

I will forever be a fan of Damon/Carlton/and JJ Abrams (Cloverfield was like LOST too with the buildup and suspense)

I will eventually go back and finish FRINGE...and can't wait to see Super 8, or what he does with Mission Impossible 4 and the Star Trek series.

It's a weird thing for that show's fans, though. I think those people who were super-obsessed about the theories ended up disappointed, while those of us who cared more about the characters than having every mystery solved, were really satisfied.

Good point. I definitely fall in the latter category of viewers.

Awesome.

Michael Giacchiono simply did a great job, the music was all fantastic.

Still love the scenes when we were introduced to Henry Gale/Ben Linus.

"you guys got any milk?"

I liked the mysteries more in the first couple seasons, then when it became obvious they couldn't tie up everything, I went along for the ride and enjoyed the characters more. Either way, it would be awfully difficult for a series to captivate that many people ever again.

I agree with you. But, you can't center so much of the plot around the mysteries and then just drop them. That's what irritated me the most.

I'm still pissed I didn't get answers. Its fucking "Twin Peaks" all over again.

It's funny you mention that show... Damon/Carlton said it was a major influence in creating the show.

What we need to remember is that TV shows aren't made in a vacuum. For instance, mr echo was supposed to be a big player in the show, but the actor who played him didn't like hawaii and wanted written off the show. However, mr echo's exit made room for ben linus to play a bigger role (he was originally only written in as a 6-ep arch). I would recommend anyone interested listen to Bill simmons' podcast with carlton cuse from last year; they really go into detail about what they were going for with the show, as well as some of their motivations and limitations in making it.

Still love the scenes when we were introduced to Henry Gale/Ben Linus.

Man, I didn't even watch those clips but just thinking about when we first met "Benry" gives me goosebumps.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the final season and the wrap up (and I'll echo PH's comment about how into it I was vs how little I have thought about it recently), but I friggin LOVED it while it was on and looked forward to the morning after reading recaps and discussing it with co-workers.

Agreed about some of the eps and characters mentioned above. So so good. I can still remember being blown away at the end of Season 3 with the whole flash forward switch. Awesomeness.

Really like this quote from the article:

""Lost" screwed up at times. (During seasons two and three, many times.) But it went for it. And I would rather have the memories of how I felt when the polar bear came charging at Sawyer, or when Jack told Kate they had to go back, or when Sawyer told Juliet "I got ya, baby" (twice!) far more than I'd want to get rid of whatever frustrations I felt with the polar bear cage episodes, or Dogen and Lennon, or finding out that Desmond didn't have quite the plan we all thought he did."

"We have to go back" was such a holy shit line for me when watching it. I loved how into the show I was. Definitely more in the camp of driven by the characters rather than the theories.

Back