• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

LOST: A year later

"But I look at the state of TV now - and the future of network TV in particular - and I worry that it'll be a long time before we get another network drama that's both this ambitious and, far more often than not, this well-executed. "

From the article. I'm afraid this is the case.

"We have to go back" was such a holy shit line for me when watching it. I loved how into the show I was. Definitely more in the camp of driven by the characters rather than the theories.

YEA!....definitely a HOLY SHIT moment....Jack's fake beard aside

"But I look at the state of TV now - and the future of network TV in particular - and I worry that it'll be a long time before we get another network drama that's both this ambitious and, far more often than not, this well-executed. "

I think so many shows are compared to Lost and have little chance of standing up to the scrutiny. When this type of show makes it to it's six season (not sure if many have), they have really had a chance to develop the characters. Shows like The Event try to appeal to the same audience but everyone is comparing it to Lost from day one (myself included). I have found that I can get into a series much easier if I wait for the season to end and then get the whole season on DVD.

I started Lost after season 3. Once I started watching I was completely addicted. I couldn't go to bed knowing all I had to do was press play to find out what would happen next.

I guess I need to decide what series I will try out this summer.

Loved the show but i still don't get the ending. Everyone in the church......wtf? What the hell happened to the kid with the super powers?

Ok, to everyone who says they didn't get answers, the epilogue offers some. I'm sure all real Lost fans have already seen it.

I still maintain (having not seen the epilogue) that they went for an Occurrence-at-Owl-Creek-Bridge-/-Jacob's-Ladder-style ending. Personally, I loved the way it ended.

I think so many shows are compared to Lost and have little chance of standing up to the scrutiny. When this type of show makes it to it's six season (not sure if many have), they have really had a chance to develop the characters. Shows like The Event try to appeal to the same audience but everyone is comparing it to Lost from day one (myself included).

I think that's partially true. The audience definitely wants to be invested immediately in a show, but the showrunners also pitch them that way and instead of trying to build strong characters, they try to build a plot/grand mystery right away without people being really invested. (see: Heroes, the Killing, the Event, et al.)

The characters on Lost were the center from the very beginning, then more mystery was slowly revealed(arguably to the point where it was too many loose ends for what the show eventually didn't tie up). I think that's how you HAVE to build a show for people to care about it.

Thank goodness for AMC and FX. I would take shows like Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy over mega-produced network shows any day.

If LOST didn't get the ginormous budget for promotion and the pilot, it could have had the same fate as much of this season's slate of shows. ABC hit gold that season with LOST, Grey's, and Desperate Housewives.

I have a more nuanced view about the mysteries. That's what I was interested in, but it wasn't the point or plot of the show. I almost feel silly how invested in the mysteries I was. That would be like me watching the Toy Story trilogy and being obsessed with how toys can talk instead of enjoying the storytelling and characters.

But if you want more answers, definitely watch the LOST epilogue. Here's a teaser. It's easy to find elsewhere on the net.

• Ben and Hurley
  • Food drops
  • Hurley Bird
  • Polar bears
  • Room 23
  • Waaaaaaaalt

There were many HOLY SHIT moments during this series, but this is one of my favorite. And Jack blasting The Pixies isn't hurting anything either. Rarely does a series captivate me the way this one did--only comparable to the connection I had with Six Feet Under.

This is easily one of the saddest things I've ever seen on television. And then we find out Jin's not really dead. And they reunite. Then they drown together on a submarine. :panda:

Last edited:
You know how the West Virginia game fundamentally affected the fandom of some formerly hardcore Wake fans? That's how I feel about Lost and TV shows. I guess Friday Night Lights was like going the Orange Bowl.

its weird - the moment that finale ended, i was done. i think i had told myself it was over and i had to cut it out of my life. i never read doc jensen's wrap up, i never read anything. i barely even thought about it. i've probably watched no more than 4 new episodes of any television show since. it was like i got so obsessed that i scared myself away from television.

I actually enjoyed Alias much more than Lost, and stopped watching Lost after season 4. It just pissed me off to the point that I swore it off completely. I do very much enjoy Fringe now, also, so Kudos to Abrams for many seasons of great TV.

As the 25-episode first season progressed, Perrineau noticed that a few of his castmates got the majority of the storytelling attention: “It became pretty clear that I was the Black guy. Daniel [Dae Kim] was the Asian guy. And then you had Jack and Kate and Sawyer,” all of whom got a good deal of screen time, as did Terry O’Quinn’s Locke. Indeed, a writer I spoke to who worked on Lost during the middle of its run said that the writing staff was told repeatedly who the “hero characters” were: Locke, Jack, Kate, and Sawyer, all of whom were white. “It’s not that they didn’t write stories for Sayid [an Iraqi character] or Sun and Jin [Korean characters],” the source added. Still, they recalled comments like “Nobody cares about these other characters. Just give them a few scenes on another beach.”

To ensure that his colleague would understand that this observation was not just actor jealousy rearing its head, Perrineau pointed out the storyline disparities to a Lost producer on set in a fairly mild way. He told me he said, “I don’t have to be the first, I don’t have to have the most episodes—but I’d like to be in the mix. But it seems like this is now a story about Jack and Kate and Sawyer.” Perrineau said he was told, “Well, this is just how audiences follow stories,” and those were the characters that were “relatable.”
The environment on Lost drove Javier Grillo-Marxuach to quit the show after its second season. He was the only person from the show’s original nucleus of writers still in the writers room in season two. Despite the show’s massive success, Grillo-Marxuach had reached his limit. He told me the writers room “was a predatory ecosystem with its own carnivorous megafauna.” Two years of what could be called the “Tallahassee mentality” was enough for him. The term comes from characters on the show poking fun at the Florida city. One day, the Lost offices got a letter from the mayor of Tallahassee, who gamely invited the show’s personnel to visit and enclosed brochures touting the city’s attractive qualities. “In response, Damon told the writers room to double down on Tallahassee, and when asked why, he replied with a straight face that the only thing funnier than punching someone in the face for no reason is punching them harder when they ask why,” Grillo-Marxuach said. “If you can imagine that as a management philosophy, you can understand what it was like to work on Lost.
These revelations explain a lot—namely, why a show promising an inclusive, globe-trotting adventure ended up being, in its final season, about a small group of men on interlocking epic quests. This is not a critique of the show’s reliably excellent actors; this is about who got the onscreen focus and why. Of course, characters of color had notable or heroic moments, but over time, they were generally shipped off the island or killed off, and white male characters like Ben Linus and the Man in Black became ever more vital. The showrunners’ “cold” treatment of Michelle Rodriguez and her character certainly stuck with Gretchen: After Rodriguez was arrested in a drunken driving incident, “instead of having empathy or sympathy for her situation, they were just like, ‘Well, we’ll just get rid of her.’ ”
At one point, the “Ab Aeterno” saga took a turn for the ridiculous: Cuse and Lindelof called Nations and Hsu Taylor into a room, and she recalled that they “basically [told] us how much we owed them for letting us have our names on that script. And they implied it would probably be good if we got them a little present.” So Hsu Taylor went out and bought gifts for her bosses. She can’t recall what she got Lindelof—probably something Star Wars related, given his love of that franchise. She said she bought Swarovski pencils for Cuse.

“As the episode got more and more praise, they started to get more and more tense about it,” Hsu Taylor recalled. “I was up next in the rotation—I was supposed to write one of the upcoming episodes. We were in the writers room. I remember Carlton walking around the table” while doling out script assignments. Hsu Taylor recalled feeling that he was making sure everyone was fully aware that he was skipping her. Later, when the bosses weren’t around, the other writers were sympathetic, she told me: “They were like, ‘Yes, you’re absolutely being punished for having cowritten that script.’ ”

What’s your fav Harold Perrinau role?

Back