• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Louis Zamperini dead at age 97

Wow! Very sad news indeed. One of the most incredible life stories ever. May he now rest in peace.

Amazing story. When they finally find land and then get immediately picked up by Japanese patrol boats, I knew I was in for a ride with that story.

One of the most amazing stories ever - if it weren't true, no one could imagine it and have anyone find any plausibility in the story. At least he outlived the Bird.

Truly an American hero. A shame he won't see the movie coming out later this year.

I'm sure he saw the rough cut, or good portions of it. He and Jolie didn't live far from each other.

I don't think Ray Charles got to hear the final version of his movie but I think I remember he heard the rough cut and loved it.

Gave that book to a friend and told her it was a novel written in the style of non-fiction. She said she loved the book but wasn't a big fan of how unrealistic it was given the detail the author put into making it fit into historical events. Pretty much sums how much of a badass Zamperini was.

Gave that book to a friend and told her it was a novel written in the style of non-fiction. She said she loved the book but wasn't a big fan of how unrealistic it was given the detail the author put into making it fit into historical events. Pretty much sums how much of a badass Zamperini was.

As I read the book I often thought that this would make bad fiction because it was so unlikely in real life. After Zamperini's war time experiences, who would have thought that he could possibly live to be 97!

IMO, this book should be required reading for all high school students. The sacrifices of the Greatest Generation simply must not be forgotten.

Just finished reading Unbroken. Holy Shit what a great book.

It appears the book is now up to the fourth-longest streak of consecutive weeks on the New York Times bestseller list. You have to imagine with the movie coming out, it has a chance to climb even higher.

It is currently at 182 weeks. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil is first at 216 followed by Tuesdays with Morrie at 206 and The Power of Positive Thinking at 186.

I hope Lips McGee doesn't fuck up the movie. But the previews make it look spot on.

I hope Lips McGee doesn't fuck up the movie. But the previews make it look spot on.

Was going to post something similar. My irrational hatred of the leader of the "adopt a brown kid" brigade makes me second-guess the film. Amazing story nevertheless.

The previews don't look promising at all imo. there is zero need...actually less than zero...to "hollywoodize" this story. make it as realistic as possible and it tells itself. but the clip of him holding the log over his head and yelling as the dramatic music plays...not a good sign. private ryan, BOB, the Pacific...real war stories don't need added drama.

separately, i never saw seabiscuit and have little interest in horse racing but picked up the book and damn it was killer. hillenbrand is a ridiculously great author. she needs to stop lazing around and write more than one book every 5 years. chronic fatigue syndrome my ass.

Read the book. Prob can wait till Redbox for the movie.

saw the movie on Friday
I wouldn't say it was bad, but it almost goes without saying that it doesn't (nor could it realistically be expected to) do the book justice.
I probably would've said it was a "good" movie had I not seen the movie

ETA.....I mean read the book

Last edited:
Back