• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mad Men Season 7 Part 2 premieres April 5

What's with all the Meredith love? In a show full of hot chicks, she's somewhere near the bottom along with Peggy.

I was worried that the new dude was going to OD on cocaine right after telling Joan she never had to work again. Didn't help when they started getting after it.

Have we discussed the real life Coke ad man was named Bill Backer which sounds a lot like Don Draper? Coincidence?

I was worried that the new dude was going to OD on cocaine right after telling Joan she never had to work again. Didn't help when they started getting after it.

Did anybody else notice how the pace of the conversation picked up after the snorts? Not only that, but their relationship got kind of fast-tracked to its end as well.

CFQdZz1UsAEoKsC.jpg

She looks so fabulous I want that outfit and the ability to pull it off NOW:

Wiener had the chance to write one more great pitch for Don at the end. But instead we got a contrived story about a lonely condiment.

It's kind of nice to leave it to the imagination. Can you imagine what that pitch must have been to appease Jim Hoabart and work on Coke.

It's kind of nice to leave it to the imagination. Can you imagine what that pitch must have been to appease Jim Hoabart and work on Coke.

Meh. The Carousel pitch was brilliant writing. Another pitch like that would have made for an amazing ending.

Like I read somewhere else, the ending seemed like it was reversed engineered- Wiener knew he wanted Don to write the Coke ad, and then he crammed in a commune to try to explain how.

Jon Hamm Talks About the 'Mad Men' Series Finale

Q.

Do you have an interpretation of it? [The Final Scene]

A.

I do. When we find Don in that place, and this stranger relates this story of not being heard or seen or understood or appreciated, the resonance for Don was total in that moment. There was a void staring at him. We see him in an incredibly vulnerable place, surrounded by strangers, and he reaches out to the only person he can at that moment, and it’s this stranger.

My take is that, the next day, he wakes up in this beautiful place, and has this serene moment of understanding, and realizes who he is. And who he is, is an advertising man. And so, this thing comes to him. There’s a way to see it in a completely cynical way, and say, “Wow, that’s awful.” But I think that for Don, it represents some kind of understanding and comfort in this incredibly unquiet, uncomfortable life that he has led. There was a little bit of a crumb dropped earlier in the season when Ted says there are three women in every man’s life, and Don says, “You’ve been sitting on that for a while, huh?” There are, not coincidentally, three person to person phone calls that Don makes in this episode, to three women who are important to him for different reasons. You see the slow degeneration of his relationships with those women over the course of those phone calls.

Last edited:
My first take on watching the finale was that Don was happy for the first time in a long time on the hippie commune, hence the smile. The coke ad plays and we realize that madison avenue life rolls on with and without Don Draper. THe iconic ad gets made while Don is out hugging crying strangers. My wife (and everyone else) thought differently but that was my first thought- The Mad Men of New york get along just fine without Don Draper and that there is probably a newer younger less damaged Don coming up with great ideas like the coke ad.

Well, if you think about his conversations with Betty and Stephanie it seems like there must be a huge relief on them not needing him or wanting his help. The lines "you not being there" and "you're not family" can really free him up from a lot of the guilt that motivated some of his decisions.

Deep down he is a man that sells ideas whether it's the idea of family around a table or the idea of Don Draper.

Well, if you think about his conversations with Betty and Stephanie it seems like there must be a huge relief on them not needing him or wanting his help. The lines "you not being there" and "you're not family" can really free him up from a lot of the guilt that motivated some of his decisions.

Deep down he is a man that sells ideas whether it's the idea of family around a table or the idea of Don Draper.

I need to rewatch or get a transcript of his phone call with Peggy. I think it might be more predictive than his conversations with other characters.

By the way, someone made mention of Betty not wearing any makeup as Sally did the dishes. In fact, I thought she was made to look like her skin was graying, which I believe is common in cancer victims. I thought it was an indication of how advance her cancer had become... (and my mom, who died of lung cancer which spread rapidly - to the point none of us knew she had cancer until she couldn't get off the couch one night (thankfully she passed three days later rather than having to go through prolonged agony) - smoked right up to the end).

Meh. The Carousel pitch was brilliant writing. Another pitch like that would have made for an amazing ending.

Like I read somewhere else, the ending seemed like it was reversed engineered- Wiener knew he wanted Don to write the Coke ad, and then he crammed in a commune to try to explain how.

It definitely felt like Weiner worked backward from the ending he wanted, but I think it still worked well withouth feeling too contrived.

Back