• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mafia Legends Game Thread - Mafia Wins

+1. Especially late in OT. Picking is better than a RNG. Especially since matt is better than chic.

The entire OT/tie policy is not generally speaking a great strategy anyway (though it's better in a setup like this where there aren't many civ specials), but now is probably not the best time for a game strategy debate.

i think it's a great time for strategy discussion.

I seem to remember this board liking ties a lot. I don't know if you guys still do that strategy, but personally I've never liked it.

I could be completely off-base on that.

Ties and being quiet as mafia. The problem with a game this big is that it was easy for the mafia to hide in the background. The civs needed about 10-12 players that would run up the quiet players and have them participate.

TR - not suspicious for laying low. NoVa, Sleepy, NH needed to be run up and post more often. They really skated through the entire game.

Lynching me over phan is a move that made NO sense. Phan made a huge mistake the round before. The civs had two mafia pushed out and somehow manage to blow it. The results of isle's investigations would have been helpful, but probably would not have affected the end result.

Ha, I'm really interested to see what you come up with.

I hardly post on these boards anymore, but pretty much everyone I consulted with while setting up this game told me to deliberately exclude you. Must have been because you're so awesome at mafia.

I'd be down with playing once every few months, but definitely can't take the time to do much more than that.

But...how about sheep? Your big welcome back, Matt?

Guys, it says "Mafia Boss" under his user name. They just don't hand those titles out, and it is not like you are allowed to create your own user title here if you donated some money, so you better respect that moniker.

i think it's a great time for strategy discussion.

I have a couple issues in general with the play style of this board, in terms of what I think of as the best strategy as a civ (it works perfectly well for mafia, and I think mafia did well for themselves here, especially given the way things typically play out).

First, first rounds are way too useless here. There is a hierarchy, even within the structure of better/worse players. People considered better players should not get voted out by civs early. It makes no sense, and it's just killing an asset later in the game. For example, would you rather have OGB alive later in the game or someone who has a decent chance of getting admin killed? You kill weaker players as civs first. Deal with stronger players if they're alive later/mafia hasn't hit them/they haven't been investigated. Don't do mafias work for them.

Next, quiet players last waaaay too long here. When you have a game with 33 people, you can afford to pair the field the first few rounds if you have to. Typically, the more information you have on hand as a civilian, the better. No one, no matter how good you are at mafia, can come to any conclusion about a player who just votes and posts maybe once or twice a round. When civs leave said person alive at the end game, good luck trying to figure out who is a civ and who is mafia. At least with more active players, you have a body of work to deal with.

Regarding ties, I understand the very general strategy of having more people involved at the end of a round because it gives more information. And like I said, in a format like this when you aren't in danger of outing many civ specials, it really isn't that bad of a strategy (to me). But when you get into more games with more civ specials, you are more likely to out a civ special than you are to get a mafia member to move (mafia is often content to sit and do nothing, or to sacrifice their own when they have this many members to burn). It's hard on here because not everyone is active, but the idea in general that someone has to be involved in a tie at the end of the game is misleading IMO. You get more information if you put more people out in front at different points in the game, see how they individually react/the tone of their posts when they're in the lead. The problem is you have to be willing to move votes more than people are on here/react to what people are saying and how they're saying it. This is more of just a preference of mine.

The idea that no one can switch in OT unless they're mafia or a special really bothers me though. You always get more information from a switch. Setting that aside, I'm not advocating switching at the beginning of OT, but if you have two minutes to go before the RNG, it is preferred to kill the weaker player/the player you have less of a lean on. If I'm 90% sure someone is a civ, and I'm 50% on the other, and it's about to go to RNG, why would I do that instead of direct action myself? And why if I make the switch does it automatically mean I'm a special? There are informed decisions to be made and generally, especially later, there are reasons to break a tie instead of letting it get there.

I also think there is more info to be had in the first two rounds than people on here seem to think, but again, that's just my way of looking at things.

I'd be down with playing once every few months, but definitely can't take the time to do much more than that.

But...how about sheep? Your big welcome back, Matt?

My schedule, both work and home, just doesn't allow me to do it. When I think about how much time I wasted at work, and at home sometimes, running Sheep, I am ashamed.

However, I have been watching a ton of Family Feud on GSN. Good background TV while playing with the little guy.

This Knight guy is outrageous. If the Terp board is that much better, I don't think he should lower himself to play with the likes of us.

This. I totally underestimated this with work

And thanks for considering me BDZ. I appreciate it even though I obviously didnt even post in the game. Sorry for that guys. Wont happen next time

And thanks for considering me BDZ. I appreciate it even though I obviously didnt even post in the game. Sorry for that guys. Wont happen next time

Playing in werewolves vs. vampires = automatic invite

Same here. I was terribly busy on days 1 and 2 which ended up more more active than usual thanks to knight.

Also Knight I think you are a pretty good player, but how you are going to come on here and say you are better than 90% of those on here is beyond me.

Im pretty sure there half the players in this game you had never even played with.

I kind of like the idea of a "Mafia Champions Tour" (similar to how the PGA uses the word "Champions") where us old guys get together and play every other month or so.

Back