• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mafia Legends Game Thread - Mafia Wins

BDZ and I were trying to remember who used to do the mafia rankings on Scout, but couldn't come up with it for sure (Appetite?).

I could probably run a game the first or second week of October if there's interest.

Pretty sure it was DV7

BDZ and I were trying to remember who used to do the mafia rankings on Scout, but couldn't come up with it for sure (Appetite?).

I could probably run a game the first or second week of October if there's interest.

I can't speak for the apetite or dv7 comments, but I definitely did this back in the day (2006-2008ish). I had a huge mafia boner back then - I played in every game, moderated several, and I had a ranking system based on voting, team success, and participation.

I also played a lot on the Suque. I doubt anyone remembers me over there...haven't posted in 3 years I bet.

DaDeacs played well. Isle shit the bed, he might have found mafia but I don't think it's a great idea for the cop to come in and make proclamations about breaking ties right at the end of the round. I thought Boom played really well and Wake4 did well too.

lol what? i did well at the beginning but i got busy, my attention span dwindled, and i voted for like 3 civs in a row to end the game

lol what? i did well at the beginning but i got busy, my attention span dwindled, and i voted for like 3 civs in a row to end the game

He is confusing surviving with playing well. Da probably played the best civ game (with the exception of agreeing to protect the other BG).

Cool. I looked into that school. They have a highly regarded clinic program. Take advantage of it. Enjoy Beantown. Its a great town for young people. Go O's!

FWIW, take advantage of clinics. I did three in Law School -- Family Law, E-Discovery and Corporate Law. They are literally the only worthwhile thing you will do in school.

Going back to this point, who have we turned down playing with that you would consider better than yourself? Aside from those that we have played with before that made the game awful (Bernie, Wake4Life), what players have we turned down to play with us at all?

I think we invite everyone over to play with us a few times. I also don't think we've chased anyone away. Da came over and plays every week now. Damo and redwing were there for a while. I remember you , DV7 and Nonny playing with us for a good bit. We haven't done anything to chase you guys away, it's just some think we post too much and they can't keep up with it, etc.

Appreciated, but I don't think I have a single post over there. I do remember being invited tho, so maybe I was just blackout the entire game? Happens.

I did the one where people voted their top 25 players and then I ranked everyone by compiling the votes. I never did my own rankings by myself tho. I included my list in the overall points total, but that's as far as I took my opinion to mean anything.

I can't speak for the apetite or dv7 comments, but I definitely did this back in the day (2006-2008ish). I had a huge mafia boner back then - I played in every game, moderated several, and I had a ranking system based on voting, team success, and participation.

haha, I forgot all about that.

Haha I remember this. had your own matrix and everything

Agree with phan regarding the general dick measuring getting old.

I will admit to being a gigantic dork when it comes to mafia. I have a lot of free time during the day in between class, and when I play mafia I spend time on the game, so I preface all of my comments with that in mind. I 100% get the people who just play casually, and enjoying voting for friends/ragging on other people etc.

In terms of game strategy though, I think if you want to win as a civ, round 1 is kind of overlooked here. Again, it's fine if you just want to mess around, vote for friends, etc, but from a strict strategy of what's most effective as a civ, you have to start with the idea that everyone has an equal chance of being mafia. Even if you think no one significantly differentiates themselves day 1 (which I disagree with but whatever), given that everyone has an equal chance of being mafia, you try to kill people who you don't think will be assets later. That normally consists of quieter players (because the body of work to analyze won't be as significant), or people you don't think are good, or if you think there's a really loud player who also isn't good and want to remove a distraction. Killing off one of you best players who has an equal chance of being a civ day 1 is counterproductive. Day 3 or 4 vote for them if you still think their bad, but I normally want more than 1 round of talking before trying to kill someone I think could be a huge help later if they're a civ.

I also encourage people to talk as much as possible, even if it's only tangentially related to the game, but that's just a preference mine. Also most games that are played on the suque (since not many games have happened here in the last year) have between 12-20 people (some more, but in general I'd say most are around 15/16). It's easier to deal with a lot of people talking if you have a smaller sample size than if 33 people were doing it (and, again, I'm a mafia dork, so I pay closer attention to it than I should admittedly). I think you get more out of someone just in terms of how they talk in certain situations and what is said than you get through votes (though voting isn't dispositive obviously).

I generally hate the philosophy of just tying people up and letting it go. I understand the arguments but I disagree with them. Doing something like threatening to kill a player gets movement from mafia in OT (but only if they believe you'll follow through and kill said person in OT). I also think the flaw in the argument in favor of the RNG is it approaches things from a perspective that it's a cointoss whether you're right or wrong. By day 6 or 7, I'm taking my chances with my intuition regarding the two players in the tie rather than the RNG. If player x kills player Y instead of player Z, that's worth noting, questioning, maybe given that person some heat, but an automatic kill is counterproductive. If player Z comes up mafia later, then you analyze player X and maybe give him more, or if player X comes up mafia, you maybe look closer at player Z, but there are a lot of reasons why it might be advantageous for a civ to kill someone in the tie (again, this is at the end of OT, or near the end, I'm not advocating instant switches all the time AND I don't do it every time, or even a third of the time, but if I feel strongly about one player positively or negatively, I'm going to move my vote accordingly).

I just think that the style of not killing off quiet players allows mafia to just sit and not post here much, which then leads to an over-reliance on the cop. I'm not comparing the two sites in terms of their worth or how people play, but mafia rarely wins on the suque even if the balance is the same. I think the reason is quiet people die early and fast, and by the end of games, you have mafia left alive who have been talkative out of necessity, and it's way more difficult to hide in plain sight as mafia if you're forced to post more than once a round.

I'm cognizant of the fact that not all people care about mafia that much (rightfully so), but just from a strategy perspective, the more talking the better because you actually have things to look at towards the end game.

sorry for tldr

good stuff. i'm a big "hide in plain sight" player when i'm mafia. shot myself in the foot because i was rusty this game, though.

The doofi are graduated and moving on? Jesus, that makes me feel old as shit.

Numbers, good luck at Northeastern. That's where my brother did his undergrad. Boston is such an awesome city, though expensive as hell. If you need to borrow a pink Sawx hat, DeacPhan has one.

Also I'll chime in and say this is a massive, crazy theme, as Beak likes to do. Definitely more of a "have fun" then a "serious" game.

He is confusing surviving with playing well. Da probably played the best civ game (with the exception of agreeing to protect the other BG).

i always get left alive because the mafia knows that my attention will wane and i will either become suspicious or make poor decisions.

i enjoyed playing this game but i think that mafia in general is just not my cup of tea. there's just too much for me to go through without caring enough about it.

good stuff. i'm a big "hide in plain sight" player when i'm mafia. shot myself in the foot because i was rusty this game, though.

yeah I like your style of play and thought you did really well other than that one post which killed you.

Back