• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Make Sure To Leave Home Without Him

WakeHornet

Reaction score
Via rushthecourt.net:

http://rushthecourt.net/2014/01/12/wake-forests-jeff-[Redacted]-make-sure-to-leave-home-without-him/

From growing up playing basketball through college to observing many coaches over the last few years, it is my contention that a coach never strays too far from his roots, and you can look to one’s history to get sense of the present. One coaching profile I read about recently was Nick Saban, who gained an attention to detail due to having to wash cars at his father’s dealership. If the car wasn’t streak free, he had to wash the entire car again.

I think the same can be said for Wake Forest’s head coach Jeff [Redacted]. The guy simply can’t win on the road, and hasn’t been able to win on the road for the past several years, tracing back to his time not only at Wake Forest, but before that at Colorado. He is literally 2-50 in conference road games during that stretch. OK, so the facts are out there, the guy clearly can’t win on the road. But why can’t he win on the road? I think the answer lies in Jeff [Redacted]’s history, one that has plenty of twists and turns. Here is a guy who has been beside greatness, and has taken credit for it. When he isn’t beside greatness, he has been unable to win, with the exception of his tenure at Air Force, which seems to be an anomaly.
[Redacted] served as an assistant at Davidson, and then Northwestern, claiming credit for Northwestern’s 1st NIT appearance in school history. He then took the head coaching position at the University of Maryland-Baltimore County, where he went 25-31 in 2 years, and when it was clear that he couldn’t succeed on his own, he jumped to be an assistant again, this time in the NBA. He spent 8 years with the Bullets, where they won 37% of their games, before hitting the jackpot when he found Pat Riley.

[Redacted] convinced Riley to take him in on as a scout from 1994-95 with the Knicks, before following him to Miami from 1995-2001, first as a scout, and eventually as an assistant. He leveraged his time with Riley and the Knick’s/Heat into an eventual head coaching job in Denver amidst the chaos of coaching musical chairs that was the Nuggets from the early 90’s to early 2000’s. [Redacted] won 17 games his 1st year in Denver, followed by a turnaround in his 2nd year, and then a slow start in his 3rd that led to his pre-New Year’s Eve firing. He then decides that he has seen enough of the NBA, stays in state, and lands at Air Force. Air Force is the part of [Redacted]’s tenure that puzzled me at first, but in looking at the box scores from the NCAA Tourney appearance in 2006 against Illinois and in their 2007 NIT semifinals against Clemson, it is crystal clear that [Redacted] inherited the best team in Air Force’s history when he arrived, and he stayed the previous course.

[Redacted]’s two coaching positions since Air Force, first at Colorado, and now at Wake Forest, have landed him on Athlon Sport’s College Basketball’s Worst Coaching Tenures Since 1984-85 twice. He was 36-58 overall at Colorado, going 10-38 in the Big 12. Now at Wake Forest, he is 45-65 overall, and 12-41 in the ACC. Almost all of those conference games have been won at home.

So why can’t Jeff [Redacted] win road games? I think the team and fans win home games in conference. The coach wins road games in conference. [Redacted] is great at preparing great coaches to win games, but he isn’t a great coach himself. That’s why his teams can’t win road games. Today while watching Wake Forest play at Pitt, in one of the toughest places for opposing teams to play, the Demon Deacons didn’t have a chance, because their coach can’t win road games. When Pitt went on a run in the first half, most coaches would have stopped the bleeding immediately. Not [Redacted]. He let it get out of hand. He let Pitt establish a 14 point half time lead, and the Panthers never looked back. The Demon Deacon fans deserve more. They deserve someone who can win on the road, especially in the ACC when it counts the most.

http://rushthecourt.net/2014/01/12/...-leave-home-without-him/#sthash.4lkMi34z.uxfs

Last edited:
Thorough breakdown. This is the type of coverage we haven't gotten locally.

He did leave out that Carmelo Anthony was mostly responsible for the bump in wins in Denver.

Make sure you check the link and give the author some hits.

The hits keep coming yet the one in charge chooses to bury his head in the sand.

Objectively, he is the worst coach ever. Throw in the intangibles, and you have to stretch the superlatives into another dimension.

I don't know. We'd shower him with e-love. I didn't see a way to e-mail him and thank him either.

This article tells me nothing new about [Redacted]. But it does solidify my opinion that Dan Collins is a useless, donut eating, country music wannabe, sack of shit, pussy.

After the regime change, which is soon, God willing, Dan should be tossed out too. He sucks.

Via rushthecourt.net:

http://rushthecourt.net/2014/01/12/wake-forests-jeff-[Redacted]-make-sure-to-leave-home-without-him/

From growing up playing basketball through college to observing many coaches over the last few years, it is my contention that a coach never strays too far from his roots, and you can look to one’s history to get sense of the present. One coaching profile I read about recently was Nick Saban, who gained an attention to detail due to having to wash cars at his father’s dealership. If the car wasn’t streak free, he had to wash the entire car again.

I think the same can be said for Wake Forest’s head coach Jeff [Redacted]. The guy simply can’t win on the road, and hasn’t been able to win on the road for the past several years, tracing back to his time not only at Wake Forest, but before that at Colorado. He is literally 2-50 in conference road games during that stretch. OK, so the facts are out there, the guy clearly can’t win on the road. But why can’t he win on the road? I think the answer lies in Jeff [Redacted]’s history, one that has plenty of twists and turns. Here is a guy who has been beside greatness, and has taken credit for it. When he isn’t beside greatness, he has been unable to win, with the exception of his tenure at Air Force, which seems to be an anomaly.
[Redacted] served as an assistant at Davidson, and then Northwestern, claiming credit for Northwestern’s 1st NIT appearance in school history. He then took the head coaching position at the University of Maryland-Baltimore County, where he went 25-31 in 2 years, and when it was clear that he couldn’t succeed on his own, he jumped to be an assistant again, this time in the NBA. He spent 8 years with the Bullets, where they won 37% of their games, before hitting the jackpot when he found Pat Riley.

[Redacted] convinced Riley to take him in on as a scout from 1994-95 with the Knicks, before following him to Miami from 1995-2001, first as a scout, and eventually as an assistant. He leveraged his time with Riley and the Knick’s/Heat into an eventual head coaching job in Denver amidst the chaos of coaching musical chairs that was the Nuggets from the early 90’s to early 2000’s. [Redacted] won 17 games his 1st year in Denver, followed by a turnaround in his 2nd year, and then a slow start in his 3rd that led to his pre-New Year’s Eve firing. He then decides that he has seen enough of the NBA, stays in state, and lands at Air Force. Air Force is the part of [Redacted]’s tenure that puzzled me at first, but in looking at the box scores from the NCAA Tourney appearance in 2006 against Illinois and in their 2007 NIT semifinals against Clemson, it is crystal clear that [Redacted] inherited the best team in Air Force’s history when he arrived, and he stayed the previous course.

[Redacted]’s two coaching positions since Air Force, first at Colorado, and now at Wake Forest, have landed him on Athlon Sport’s College Basketball’s Worst Coaching Tenures Since 1984-85 twice. He was 36-58 overall at Colorado, going 10-38 in the Big 12. Now at Wake Forest, he is 45-65 overall, and 12-41 in the ACC. Almost all of those conference games have been won at home.

So why can’t Jeff [Redacted] win road games? I think the team and fans win home games in conference. The coach wins road games in conference. [Redacted] is great at preparing great coaches to win games, but he isn’t a great coach himself. That’s why his teams can’t win road games. Today while watching Wake Forest play at Pitt, in one of the toughest places for opposing teams to play, the Demon Deacons didn’t have a chance, because their coach can’t win road games. When Pitt went on a run in the first half, most coaches would have stopped the bleeding immediately. Not [Redacted]. He let it get out of hand. He let Pitt establish a 14 point half time lead, and the Panthers never looked back. The Demon Deacon fans deserve more. They deserve someone who can win on the road, especially in the ACC when it counts the most.

http://rushthecourt.net/2014/01/12/...-leave-home-without-him/#sthash.4lkMi34z.uxfs

Ether.

This article tells me nothing new about [Redacted]. But it does solidify my opinion that Dan Collins is a useless, donut eating, country music wannabe, sack of shit, pussy.

After the regime change, which is soon, God willing, Dan should be tossed out too. He sucks.

I shared it on Facebook and already got a chance to explain this farce to an old friend from Duke. People shake their heads when they learn that a guy who finished last, last, and almost last in the Big XII got an ACC job because he's known the AD for 30 years.

The man lacks any ability to inspire. Couple that with an NBA background - where the players self-motivate- and a stint at the Air Force Academy - where the players self -motivate and therein lies your answer.

This all sorts itself out at Season's end because this trend will continue as long as he is here.

The man lacks any ability to inspire. Couple that with an NBA background - where the players self-motivate- and a stint at the Air Force Academy - where the players self -motivate and therein lies your answer.

This all sorts itself out at Season's end because this trend will continue as long as he is here.

This is probably why he doesn't have any answers for why the wake players aren't doing what he has asked. He literally cannot comprehend why they make mistakes in games if he tells them to do something right in practice.

He is a scout at heart. He may know what to do but he has no idea how to implement it. It becomes evident when the ref throws the ball up. Fundamentals are lacking and it is because they have not been properly taught. Teaching basketball is much more than telling a kid the right way to play.

I decided to cut down a tree and split logs this weekend instead of watching the game...I love basketball with every bone in my body. I can't imagine how apathetic a moderately interested fan has become.

A lot of people don't care anymore just look at the fan base at a game. Sad to see it as a WFU fans for life.

Poorly written article, but it does sum up the fact that [Redacted] is a loser.

Poorly written article, but it does sum up the fact that [Redacted] is a loser.

It's a terribly written article but the points he makes are valid and need to be made over and over again.

Someone should email the link to Wellman and ask him to respond to the points raised therein.

If anyone thought our football program needed a shot in the arm when Jim Grobe resigned (was fired), well then our basketball program needs a defibrillator.

Jesus Christ, how does Dan Collins get into this? What the fuck do you want him to do? He's a goddamned beat writer, not a Trustee or university VP. Dan is not a Wake Forest fan- he likes Wake and thinks [Redacted] was not a good hire and has pointed out [Redacted]'s issues numerous times. Some of you people act like Dan owes you something or that you're pissed he didn't fuck you on the first date. This is how far [Redacted]'s impact has reached: we get pissed off if the mailman doesn't say "Hello, nice day- BzzOut."

Maybe it's not that [Redacted] is really bad on the road, but just creates one of the best home court advantages ever known to man?

Right, Wellman?!?

Objectively, he is the worst coach ever. Throw in the intangibles, and you have to stretch the superlatives into another dimension.
Bob Wade at Maryland used to be the standard when talking about terrible ACC coaches. My guess is [Redacted] has replaced Wade.

Back