• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Make Sure To Leave Home Without Him

Jesus Christ, how does Dan Collins get into this? What the fuck do you want him to do? He's a goddamned beat writer, not a Trustee or university VP. Dan is not a Wake Forest fan- he likes Wake and thinks [Redacted] was not a good hire and has pointed out [Redacted]'s issues numerous times. Some of you people act like Dan owes you something or that you're pissed he didn't fuck you on the first date. This is how far [Redacted]'s impact has reached: we get pissed off if the mailman doesn't say "Hello, nice day- BzzOut."

Agreed. I like Dan and enjoy reading his blog.

I think Dan enjoys trolling this board. I'm sure he get's more entertainment out of this crew than he does watching Wake games.

I agree that Dan shouldn't be getting called out, especially at this juncture.

On the road, there is travel, no home court famliarity, no home crowd (or gathering), no friends and family, no pepband, no cheerleaders, etc. Just the coach and his team. On the road, the head coach must inject effective and constent motivation and inspiration. 2-52 at Wake and Colorado says it all.

[Redacted] is scheduled to complete his fourth year in about three months, at an annual salary in excess of $1,000,000. Four years is the term of the office of the Governor, the term of office for the President of the United States, both of which have lower salaries than our head basketball coach. This miserable failure has to stop. Ron Wellman should be ashamed to have not only hired this loser, but should be even more ashamed to have continued to support the clear amd distructive failures of his friend. The President of the University and the Board of Trustees should also be ashamed to have allowed Ron Wellman the latitude to perpetuate this disaster.

I suggest Bzedlik resign immediately or be fired immediately, and let Jeff Battle finish the season as the interim coach, with Rusty and Randolph as his assistants. I have no doubt you would see immediate improvement in the competitiveness and cohesiveness of our team. I am not delusional enought to think this might happen, but it would be an effective move to salvage what is left of this seaon, and build enthusiasm and optimism for the future.

Did Dan Collons ever mention Bz' road record at Colorado? Simple fact that should have come up when he was hired.

Bob Wade had a decent year, he just cheated to get it. Hated it for him as well, I went to high school with his daughter and he shopped at the grocery store where I worked when he coached at Dunbar. Really nice guy, just overmatched at Maryland.

Stolen from the Wikipedia.

Largely due to the loss of several players suspended after the Len Bias incident, Wade's first season was one of the worst in school history. The Terps suffered what is still their only winless record in ACC play, as part of an overall 9-17 record. Wade quickly rebuilt the team and got the Terps back into the NCAA tournament a year later. Due to the transfer of star players Brian Williams and Steve Hood, the team significantly regressed in 1988-89, losing 20 games, the most in school history. Wade was forced to resign on May 12, 1989 after only three years as head coach, compiling a 36-50 record. His resignation came amid allegations that he broke NCAA rules in dealing with players and recruits. While criticized for his coaching abilities, his ability to recruit was not in question. In only 2 years of recruiting, (he was hired too late for any serious recruiting his first year) Wade landed 3 NBA first round draft picks in Williams (who later changed his name to Bison Dele), Jerrod Mustaf, and Walt Williams.
An investigation found that, among other things, Wade had provided a loan to one of his recruits and provided free clothes to his players. More seriously, Wade lied to the NCAA on several occasions, and even went as far as to hold a meeting with his staff to coordinate plans to lie to the NCAA. In one of the toughest penalties handed out by the NCAA for such transgressions, the Terps were placed on three years' probation, banned from postseason play in 1991 and 1992 and kicked off live television for the 1990-91 season. Wade himself was hit with a five-year show-cause order, which effectively blackballed him from the collegiate ranks until 1995.[3] Noting the lack of institutional control and perceiving his departure as mistreatment of an African American coach, blue chip high school players from Baltimore City would largely avoid Maryland until Keith Booth chose to attend Maryland in 1993.

Did Dan Collons ever mention Bz' road record at Colorado? Simple fact that should have come up when he was hired.

Well, let's keep in mind that Dan is just doing what beat writers do- nothing more, nothing less. There have been plenty of writers who get cold-shouldered or shut-out of lockerrooms or interviews when they get critical about a program or coach- and let's face it, the Wake administration has a skin so thin about this shit, it's transparent. Did Dan write-up [Redacted]'s road record? Maybe not, I don't know and if not, I can only surmise he's interested in not being persona non grata by Wellman for being what Wellman would obviously call "being negative" about a new coach. Collins didn't write up the negatives on Clawson either. Imagine the cunthurt around this board if he had. But don't be silly: Collins didn't and doesn't think [Redacted] was a good hire. But he's not going to fuck up his job by alienating an athletic department which has clearly demonstrated its atmospheric lunacy.

Vendetta: in the digital world, we all know what good writers, beat or otherwise, are. You can sit at your desk and in 10 minutes, read articles from writers all over the world covering teams in any sport from football to rugby to cricket. People know the kind of writing they like and don't like. And plenty of great writers are disliked. And like any profession, there are good writers and bad. But ask yourself just what your expectation is for a writer on your team? Do you want facts/figures/analysis or do you want someone who's just going to slide into your bias and become a mouthpiece for the disgruntled masses? Any dickhead with a keyboard can write a blog and give an opinion. My expectations for what they write are grossly low so if it sucks, I don't really give a shit. Dan meets my expectations and does his job. Don't like it? Don't read it. Simple. But this pattern of just attacking anyone around Wake athletics is ridiculous. I'd be disappointed in DC if he just mimicked what is repeated over and over on this board.

Dan shouldn't have an opinion blog. Stating a new coach's record is just facts.

"Dan shouldn't have an opinion blog?"

Yeah, I'll let him know he's breaking the rules. ESPN and SI will be most chagrined to know the 90% of their writers who have blogs have been doing it all wrong.

Back