• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'Making a Murderer' discussion. (Paging Shooshmoo)

There is a Pajiba article out there that went through the full court record and pulled out some damning stuff against SA that the show left out.

I sort of agree with the gist of the article, which is that the right result was reached, but for the wrong reasons and via a botched process.

In other words, I think the two are guilty, but that the state did not meet their burden.

I think that this is demonstrated when the jury first went into deliberation and it was said that the majority of them jury felt non-guilty. Then it changed when one of them had a family emergency. This case (or at least the way that it was portrayed in the show) had the feeling of the defense carrying the responsibility of reaching the burden.

Also where the fuck was her DNA in his trailer room? I can't remember there being any but shouldn't the bed and bedroom in general be soaking in it since what they accused him of? No way that he's able to clean that. *Maybe there was and I forgot.

A few stray thoughts:

-I think SA definitely did it and the cops definitely tried to bolster the case with planted evidence (especially the key and likely the bullet)
-Maybe they explained this and I just missed it but did they test the blood from the evidence kit and compare it to the blood in the SUV? Seems like there was a lot of conjecture about that blood and whether it contained EDTA? The defense's expert witness basically said they may have tested it but they never specified what the baseline was for EDTA. Seems like this test should have been a lot more definitive.
-The dude that did the original sketch in1985 (that later framed it) was one of the least likable people I've ever seen.
-Brendan got railroaded. Literally the only thing that puts him anywhere close to the murder is one of his many changing confessions. Zero DNA evidence, no corroborating witnesses, nothing. Hell he may have done it but there is no way he should be in jail based on what was presented.
-Lenk seemed like he was capable of covering up and Colburn seemed like he was basically a yes man.

Anyone willing to put out a timeline of how they think the events went down? I need to give it some more thought but initially I have trouble coming up with something plausible on who/when/how etc. If SA didn't do it, who did?

my theory is that the killer is teresa Hallbach's ex boyfriend. He just seemed like he was still a little too much into her and didn't like her living with a male roommate. He also was front and center at the search party which is what the real culprits often do.

Also, I feel like the cops genuinely thought Avery was a scumbug and needed to be behind bars and they did everything in their power to make that happen including planting some evidence. I don't think the cops thought Brendan was actually involved- they just didn't care and were happy to use him as collateral damage in their war against Avery. THe thought of putting that 16 year mentally challenged boy away for life with zero evidence other than that god awful confession makes my skin crawl. I don't know how anybody including cops, district attornery, judge, and jurors can live with themselves.

Here is the Pajiba link with links to left out evidence not shown in the doc. Pretty damning stuff. Don't click if you still want to watch.

http://www.pajiba.com/netflix_movie...-evidence-making-a-murderer-didnt-present.php

IMO, the doc was about 3-4 eps too long. So to have a full 10 eps and not include this stuff, just shows that they are intentionally leaving stuff out to get traction. If the docs makes SA look guilty the second time around then the story has no more life and there is nothing for the filmmakers to go on TV and discuss anymore.

Still a well made effort despite the bias. Hopefully there will be professional consequences for Colburn and Lenk.

Wisconsin DOJ and govt and maybe the whole place is just fucked. Like if Mississippi or Alabama thought they had the market cornered for inbred gool ol boy homecooking, they were dead wrong. These people will protect their own in the face of terrible wrongdoing.

The fact that Ken Kratz sexting investigation took over a year, and the Governor had to get involved (after public pressure) before he was forced to resign is just dumbfounding.

Oh boy. Someone has made some fake Twitter accts of these guys and is having interesting convos. A PH# for Kratz has been posted.

The Yelp page for Kratz's law firm has been trashed as well.

https://twitter.com/kenkratz

It was clear to me there was a lot missing about SA's guilt when the judge said something along the lines of "you're the most dangerous man this court has ever seen". There's a big gap between the simple yokel the documentary portrayed and "the most dangerous man" and I wasn't convinced judge's biases comprised all of that gap.

Here is the Pajiba link with links to left out evidence not shown in the doc. Pretty damning stuff. Don't click if you still want to watch.

http://www.pajiba.com/netflix_movie...-evidence-making-a-murderer-didnt-present.php

IMO, the doc was about 3-4 eps too long. So to have a full 10 eps and not include this stuff, just shows that they are intentionally leaving stuff out to get traction. If the docs makes SA look guilty the second time around then the story has no more life and there is nothing for the filmmakers to go on TV and discuss anymore.

Still a well made effort despite the bias. Hopefully there will be professional consequences for Colburn and Lenk.

Wisconsin DOJ and govt and maybe the whole place is just fucked. Like if Mississippi or Alabama thought they had the market cornered for inbred gool ol boy homecooking, they were dead wrong. These people will protect their own in the face of terrible wrongdoing.

The fact that Ken Kratz sexting investigation took over a year, and the Governor had to get involved (after public pressure) before he was forced to resign is just dumbfounding.

A lot of that Pajiba stuff was in the documentary, so I'm not sure how close that writer was actually watching the show. The restraints SA claimed were for his GF, the hood latch, etc.

A lot of that Pajiba stuff was in the documentary, so I'm not sure how close that writer was actually watching the show. The restraints SA claimed were for his GF, the hood latch, etc.

They really glossed over the restraints, when he bought them, they didn't mention the gun in connection to the bullet.

And they didnt mention the heavy petter stuff.

I don't remember them discussing the hood latch on the show but that seems to be pretty damning.

I'm watching this show (only on Ep 4) with my wife (currently a prosecutor in NC and has been a defense attorney and prosecutor in SC as well). I'm trying not to read too many details in this thread, but her comments regarding the Dassey confession were, and I'm paraphrasing a bit, "if I used that confession in court (in NC or SC at least) I'd be laughed out of the courtroom and probably yelled at by the judge for wasting time". She was also blown away that there was a press conference before the trial and how in the world you could find an impartial jury after that.

Yeah the Wisconsin tourism board might as well just fucking pack up and wait till 2018 at this point.

The fact that the Dassey appeals were denied after the judge (i) denied Dassey's request for new council (ii) then dismissed his counsel when he found out about the confession without counsel and (iii) still didnt have that confession stricken.

The guy arranged for the meeting with police and then didn't show up. That's the most crucial time you are supposed to be there, other than court. That is your job, you don't let your client talk to police by himself, especially when that client is a fritatta and will say anything.

Guy should be disbarred.

I'll place a bet with somebody on here that Dassey walks before 2017. $20 to the first taker.

The interrogation when they were asking him about the car is so frickin' inconsistent on his end.

I'll place a bet with somebody on here that Dassey walks before 2017. $20 to the first taker.

The interrogation when they were asking him about the car is so frickin' inconsistent on his end.

I'll take it. No way it gets done in a year.

I'll take it. No way it gets done in a year.

Done deal. I'll pay out via PayPal on 1/1/17 if I hasn't happened. Will be worth it just to add interest for me. I'm more and more stunned that he was given life in the first place.

SA and Brendan are two very different stories.

Back