• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Man, I miss Skip

Oh moonzzzz, I always relish your anonymous neg rep. You complete me. Perhaps one day I'll learn why you think I have red hair.

We'll never know, but I think Skip eventually would have broken through in the postseason. He knew what kind of horses he needed in order to compete. I suspect he would have tightened things up on defense (the evidence points to the fact he was already working on this) and eventually it would have happened.

I don't think there is any question about it. He was so jazzed about that class he recruited... "we're going to be good again."

Damn.

and we were.

But did we build on it? No. And we'll never know if we might have. I think Skip had a blue print for being a royal pain in the ass to Duke and Carolina. I think he proved that much. He wasn't prepared for CP leaving but I think he learned from that. And I think it made him that much more determined to get back in the game.

Damn.

Skip was a pretty bad game coach. Dino was an awful game coach. Bzz seems terrible all around, and worse than either one.

Tough stretch right there. Doesn't really cast Mr. Wellman in the best light.

But did we build on it? No. And we'll never know if we might have. I think Skip had a blue print for being a royal pain in the ass to Duke and Carolina. I think he proved that much. He wasn't prepared for CP leaving but I think he learned from that. And I think it made him that much more determined to get back in the game.

Damn.

If your top three players leave after their sophomore years you start all over again. That is where we are. Chris Paul left early and our next two teams finished last and tenth .

If your top three players leave after their sophomore years you start all over again. That is where we are. Chris Paul left early and our next two teams finished last and tenth .

So, if I read you right, you think the incoming class is going to mirror the team Dino inherited? Bzz is going to go 66-31? Because if that is the case I am way in.

So, if I read you right, you think the incoming class is going to mirror the team Dino inherited? Bzz is going to go 66-31? Because if that is the case I am way in.

You need reading glasses....

Dino inherited a great recruiting class. Bzz is bringing in a great recruiting class. The difference is how the coach came to acquire them?

Bzz will get his chance. That is almost certain.

Skip Prosser got it. He got Wake Forest. He got life in general. To piggyback on what someone else said- I don't think we've ever had a Coach in men's basketball or football who never made any excuses about our limitations as a small academic private school. He spun that into a positive rather than a negative. He never backed down to Carolina and Duke and almost relished at the opportunity to take them on head on. He never got intimidated by anyone. He swung for the fences and while he might have struck out, it was sure a fun time to be a Wake fan. He convinced us all to shed the LOWF complex and believe we could compete with anyone out there.

He was a once in a lifetime type of a coach and human being. While his legacy on the court can be debated til we are all blue in the face, his record off the court is timeless and untouchable.

Decided to Google for Skip on the interwebs. Had not seen this video before. Excuse me, I need a tissue.... for my sinuses.

Skip Prosser got it. He got Wake Forest. He got life in general. To piggyback on what someone else said- I don't think we've ever had a Coach in men's basketball or football who never made any excuses about our limitations as a small academic private school. He spun that into a positive rather than a negative. He never backed down to Carolina and Duke and almost relished at the opportunity to take them on head on. He never got intimidated by anyone. He swung for the fences and while he might have struck out, it was sure a fun time to be a Wake fan. He convinced us all to shed the LOWF complex and believe we could compete with anyone out there.

He was a once in a lifetime type of a coach and human being. While his legacy on the court can be debated til we are all blue in the face, his record off the court is timeless and untouchable.

How many good recruiting seasons did Skip have in your opinion swinging for the fences? I concur with your assessment of his off court legacy. He was a good man.

Skip's death was untimely and tragic. He was a great man and an excellent representative of our University. I dont think anyone would debate those points. We will never know what might have happened had he lived.

A thought that I have never seen mentioned is what "might have been" had Joyce Battle not contracted terminal lung cancer at the time she did. Coach B would have been named HC and Dino would have been his top assistant, positions better suiting the skill sets of both men. I believe that our program would have been more successful each year than what we experienced. Clearly, I believe we would be light years ahead of where we are right now.

Skip's death was tragic. Joyce Battle's may have the one that hurt the program even more. We will never know ...

I think Skip was on his way to transforming Wake basketball. He did swing for the fences and miss sometimes, but aren't we glad he did that? He landed some top talent during his time at Wake, had us in the national spotlight and in the top 10 in 2003, 2005, and in 2009 had he lived. Sure, he didn't have UNC/Duke caliber classes year in and year out, but who could do that? He was landing players and getting looks from other players we'd never dream of landing under Odom. He may have missed on many of them, but so what? It was indicative that the future was bright for us. I do believe eventually he would've broken through in the NCAAs. How long did it take for Roy Williams to be a decent post season coach? The more talent we landed would have made our chances better going forward and would help Wake gain a reputation in the AAU circuits, where we have to be known unless we want to be searching for diamonds in the rough.

We went from hiring a guy like Skip in 2001, who had an impressive record, NCAA tournament experience and was well known to Buzz in 2010. I have no idea how we managed to fall so far in that time period. I have to believe Wellman made a crony hire. It doesn't make any sense otherwise. We were a respected program in 2010.

How many good recruiting seasons did Skip have in your opinion swinging for the fences? I concur with your assessment of his off court legacy. He was a good man.

He had good classes in '02 (one comment about this, Reff, and I will hunt you down and shove your whistle up your ass, you sorry sack of shit), '03, '07, and '08. Class of '06 could probably could go with that group. Class of '04 was limited due to scholarship space. Class of '05 was the only real stinker in the group. We also had astoundingly bad luck with CamStan, Ingram, and Skeen--all top 60 or so recruits at the time they committed--blowing out their knees their senior seasons.

Skip's death was untimely and tragic. He was a great man and an excellent representative of our University. I dont think anyone would debate those points. We will never know what might have happened had he lived.

A thought that I have never seen mentioned is what "might have been" had Joyce Battle not contracted terminal lung cancer at the time she did. Coach B would have been named HC and Dino would have been his top assistant, positions better suiting the skill sets of both men. I believe that our program would have been more successful each year than what we experienced. Clearly, I believe we would be light years ahead of where we are right now.

Skip's death was tragic. Joyce Battle's may have the one that hurt the program even more. We will never know ...

I sometimes wonder what the program would look like had Wellman hired John Beilein back in 2001. IIRC, Beilein was Wellman's first choice through much of the process until contacting Skip on a whim and, to Wellman's surprise, finding that there was mutual interest.

I didn't say it was a successful strategy, all I said was that he tried to swing for the fences and struck out. A humbling look back on Skip's recruits (2003-2008 classes to be fair since 2002 were all originally Odom's guys, as I'm sure you are aware keeper). I count 21 players not including walk-on's. Even if you take out the 4 guys that went to the NBA after 2 years (CP, Teague, JJ, Aminu), only 9 earned their degress (Visser, CamStan, Hale, Weaver, L.D., Ish, Chas, Gary Clark, Walker). 8 guys in Hendley, Ingram, Joe Dukes, Swinton, Skeen, Gurley, Crawford, Woods all transferred or left because of trouble. As of today and assuming Ty earns his degree, nearly half of the players Skip signed did not finish their careers at Wake, and that doesn't factor in the early NBA deparatures. Don't know if that's culture or what, and I know players transfer all the time, but that seems like a high attrition rate to me no matter how you spin it.

I think Skip was on his way to transforming Wake basketball. He did swing for the fences and miss sometimes, but aren't we glad he did that? He landed some top talent during his time at Wake, had us in the national spotlight and in the top 10 in 2003, 2005, and in 2009 had he lived. Sure, he didn't have UNC/Duke caliber classes year in and year out, but who could do that? He was landing players and getting looks from other players we'd never dream of landing under Odom. He may have missed on many of them, but so what? It was indicative that the future was bright for us. I do believe eventually he would've broken through in the NCAAs. How long did it take for Roy Williams to be a decent post season coach? The more talent we landed would have made our chances better going forward and would help Wake gain a reputation in the AAU circuits, where we have to be known unless we want to be searching for diamonds in the rough.

We went from hiring a guy like Skip in 2001, who had an impressive record, NCAA tournament experience and was well known to Buzz in 2010. I have no idea how we managed to fall so far in that time period. I have to believe Wellman made a crony hire. It doesn't make any sense otherwise. We were a respected program in 2010.

Odom recruited players that were named first team all conference eight times. Prosser recruited players that were named first team all conference two times. I loved Skip but those are the numbers.

Odom recruited players that were named first team all conference eight times. Prosser recruited players that were named first team all conference two times. I loved Skip but those are the numbers.

Subjective statistics for the fail.

Back