• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Man suing Krispy Kreme because fruit filling isn't real fruit

RollWave35

#KeepPounding
Reaction score
Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Inc. is being sued for false advertising in federal court, accused of selling blueberry, maple and raspberry-filled doughnuts that don’t contain any real fruit or maple syrup.

The lawsuit was filed Nov. 9 in the Central District of California by a law firm — Faruqi & Faruqi LLP — that specializes in consumer class-action cases.

The Winston-Salem company has not filed a response to the complaint by Jason Saidian, which contains 10 allegations. Krispy Kreme declined to comment, citing pending litigation.

Saidian is a resident of Los Angeles County who bought the doughnuts in 2015.

What moves the lawsuit from being considered as potentially frivolous is that California law has a low bar for proving violations of business and professions code as well as false advertising and breach of contract. The complaint also seeks national class-action status.

The plaintiff is requesting at least $5 million in damages as well as disgorging of profits made from the products.
http://www.journalnow.com/news/loca...cle_640345cf-b92f-5ba6-aa9a-a3d6fc538c36.html

Also says the guy bought the raspberry doughnuts specifically for their nutritional qualities: "Raspberries “are a rich source of Vitamin C, Vitamin K, potassium and dietary fiber ... and help fight against cancer, heart and circulatory disease, and age-related decline."

I'm a big fan of truth in marketing. If it's not real fruit, they should be required to say so. If it takes a lawsuit, so be it.

the ingredient list on the raspberry donut does show raspberries.

2016_10_13_V2_AllergenDisclaimerChange_Glazed%20Raspberry%20Filled.JPG

I'm a big fan of truth in marketing. If it's not real fruit, they should be required to say so. If it takes a lawsuit, so be it.

Where do you stand on Fruit of the Loom?

the ingredient list on the raspberry donut does show raspberries.

2016_10_13_V2_AllergenDisclaimerChange_Glazed%20Raspberry%20Filled.JPG

I mean yeah, but when you walk into the store you don't see the ingredient list. You see the menu that says "Glazed Raspberry Filled Donut." It seems like a pretty strong argument that a consumer shouldn't be expected to check the ingredient list of everything that they buy to make sure what the menu says is in there is actually in there

I mean yeah, but when you walk into the store you don't see the ingredient list. You see the menu that says "Glazed Raspberry Filled Donut." It seems like a pretty strong argument that a consumer shouldn't be expected to check the ingredient list of everything that they buy to make sure what the menu says is in there is actually in there

So what should it say - "glazed raspberry-flavored jelly filled donut"? Nobody expects it's actually full of actual whole berries, right? I can't be sure the ingredient list is what they actually serve, but it says that raspberries do comprise part of the filling.

So what should it say - "glazed raspberry-flavored jelly filled donut"? Nobody expects it's actually full of actual whole berries, right? I can't be sure the ingredient list is what they actually serve, but it says that raspberries do comprise part of the filling.

you don't think it's weird to live in a world where the correct assumption is "oh, that has no real fruit in it"

If you don't go into the process of eating a KK doughnut with the assumption that it is pretty much going to be 100% bad for you, then that is on you.

you don't think it's weird to live in a world where the correct assumption is "oh, that has no real fruit in it"

I think that in the case of the raspberry one, according to the ingredients, it does contain real fruit. It is absurd to assume a donut is a health food and full of 100% real raspberries without other ingredients. If there was indeed no actual fruit whatsoever, then it is misleading advertising; there should be an asterisk or something indicating "raspberry flavored."

I'm a fan of "processed cheese food"... I'm cool with artificial things. Not cool with someone suing for $5 million because a donut wasn't sufficient as a fruit/vitamin source. Maybe KK should give him a pint of real raspberries, pint of real blueberries, small bottle of real maple syrup, and a dozen original glazed. Tell him to have fun.

Back