• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Man suing Krispy Kreme because fruit filling isn't real fruit

I think that in the case of the raspberry one, according to the ingredients, it does contain real fruit. It is absurd to assume a donut is a health food and full of 100% real raspberries without other ingredients. If there was indeed no actual fruit whatsoever, then it is misleading advertising; there should be an asterisk or something indicating "raspberry flavored."

I'm a fan of "processed cheese food"... I'm cool with artificial things. Not cool with someone suing for $5 million because a donut wasn't sufficient as a fruit/vitamin source. Maybe KK should give him a pint of real raspberries, pint of real blueberries, small bottle of real maple syrup, and a dozen original glazed. Tell him to have fun.

i don't think anyone assumes donuts are a "health food" (whatever that is) and I'm fine with processed food and GMOs. I eat kraft mac n cheese and drink cherry coke.

but, i stand by my statement that it's weird to roll our eyes at people who want honest labeling. like BYM said, if it takes a lawsuit to get the asterisk, fuck KK

i don't think anyone assumes donuts are a "health food" (whatever that is) and I'm fine with processed food and GMOs. I eat kraft mac n cheese and drink cherry coke.

but, i stand by my statement that it's weird to roll our eyes at people who want honest labeling. like BYM said, if it takes a lawsuit to get the asterisk, fuck KK

Do you feel like you are being misled by your Cherry Coke?

How do you come up with a recipe like that?

"You know what, Joe? I think it needs a little more monocalcium phosphate."

There's a great This American Life about food labs and how they come up with the next hot Doritos Locos-esque product or flavor.

I need to find the restaurant with the deepest pockets that sells chicken fingers.

I'm also for honest labeling (but against frivolous lawsuits). To me, it looks like (at least) the raspberry donut is being honestly labeled since it does contain actual fruit, according to the ingredient list. Did he do some lab experiments on the donut to determine that it was just raspberry flavoring versus actual raspberries? Is there a minimum percentage of the filling that needs to be real fruit for it to dodge the asterisk or the "raspberry-flavored" label?

As a lawyer, I'm sure the allegation that he bought the donuts to satisfy nutritional requirements is a bit of puffery. But still, the donut is literally named, "raspberry filled." I think we should expect companies to be honest about what they call their products.

So you'd be OK with him suing Coke too?

sure, sue coke. but the can/bottle already has "cherry flavoring" disclaimer on the front

my point is it's fucked up that we're at a point where we can correctly assume a label that says "fruit-filled something" is a lie and it's weird to want accuracy

Also, if the guy wasn't happy with his donut because it didn't have enough raspberries, shouldn't he have just taken it back and complained? Or just not buy any more? At what point do we get from losing $1.25 for a donut you aren't happy with to $5M?

There is usually an assumption with donuts that when it is filled with fruit, it is almost invariably in a jelly or curd variety. When I order a filled lemon donut, I certainly don't expect it to have pieces of lemon in it. Strawberry or raspberry filled is always jelly. It isn't assuming that the labeling is incorrect, just that the name is shortened for an economy of space.

Last edited:
i will say i think it's reasonable for people to assume mass-produced donuts are filled with garbage and the lawsuit is a stretch. but on principle, i agree with this guy

sure, sue coke. but the can/bottle already has "cherry flavoring" disclaimer on the front

my point is it's fucked up that we're at a point where we can correctly assume a label that says "fruit-filled something" is a lie and it's weird to want accuracy

Or its a fucked up that we feel the need to coddle the people who are too dumb to realize that a jelly donut isn't going to be literally filled with individual raspberries.

Is there a minimum percentage of the filling that needs to be real fruit for it to dodge the asterisk or the "raspberry-flavored" label?

This might be what the case comes down to.

I've been told by the lead scientist at a significant consumer product company that the order of ingredients designates, more or less, the quantity of that ingredient in the product. Companies will advertise all kinds of stuff in their products, i.e. oils, aloe, and then the ingredient list will have it way down the list, and it may have only a drop of that thing in there. He said he thought it was wrong but they had to do it because their competitors do it and it's what the FDA allows.

Also, if the guy wasn't happy with his donut because it didn't have enough raspberries, shouldn't he have just taken it back and complained? Or just not buy any more? At what point do we get from losing $1.25 for a donut you aren't happy with to $5M?

There is usually an assumption with donuts that when it is filled with fruit, it is almost invariably in a jelly or curd variety. When I order a filled lemon donut, I certainly don't expect it to have pieces of lemon in it. Strawberry or raspberry filled is always jelly. It isn't assuming that the labeling is incorrect, just that the name is shortened for an economy of space.

I suppose the lawsuit is alleging that there should be no assumptions with food labels, and no shortening of names or missing words.

I guess this is why the picture on the box of a Cheerios in a bowl with milk and strawberries is labeled a "serving suggestion," so they can't be sued by someone who claimed they expected milk and berries and a bowl and a spoon inside the box too.

This might be what the case comes down to.

I've been told by the lead scientist at a significant consumer product company that the order of ingredients designates, more or less, the quantity of that ingredient in the product. Companies will advertise all kinds of stuff in their products, i.e. oils, aloe, and then the ingredient list will have it way down the list, and it may have only a drop of that thing in there. He said he thought it was wrong but they had to do it because their competitors do it and it's what the FDA allows.

Yeah - that's a government labeling requirement.

Is that not common knowledge to most people?

Back