• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

At this point, it would be more surprising for Wake to let Manning go than to keep him. There has been dead silence and he's out there making offers to prospects. I doubt he would be doing that unless he's totally oblivious and nothing has been said.

At this point, it would be more surprising for Wake to let Manning go than to keep him. There has been dead silence and he's out there making offers to prospects. I doubt he would be doing that unless he's totally oblivious and nothing has been said.
Agree. At this point we’re basically pinning our hopes on some kind of super elaborate and nearly entirely unrealistic 4-dimensional chess a la PhDeac’s (facetious) post a few pages back. Disappointing—was looking forward to following up Wake b-ball again.

if y'all don't actively root for us to go 0-31 next season, then you're part of the problem.

if y'all don't actively root for us to go 0-31 next season, then you're part of the problem.

Why would it matter what our record is? It just appears that Wellman hung an albatross around the neck of WF and it could be years before the school can afford to let him go.

Manning’s 7th year will be his worst team, wrap your head around that.

So, like, why are we so confident he’s coming back now? I get it, there’s been an emotional rollercoaster and overreaction to everything posted here by an “insider” or on twitter by whoever, but we still don’t actually know a damn thing, do we?

The only thing we actually know is that it has been 2 weeks since our season ended and that there’s been a coronavirus in that time.

So, like, why are we so confident he’s coming back now? I get it, there’s been an emotional rollercoaster and overreaction to everything posted here by an “insider” or on twitter by whoever, but we still don’t actually know a damn thing, do we?

The only thing we actually know is that it has been 2 weeks since our season ended and that there’s been a coronavirus in that time.

Whoa, easy man. Stop making sense.

i mean, sure -- i certainly won't watch more than the 100 minutes of wake bball i did this year. but i bet what's even more important is for shah's hotel industry to pick up or another big donor to step up. that is, if manning sticks around it's not bc there are some doofuses in charge who believe he's going to turn the program around.

Why would it matter what our record is? It just appears that Wellman hung an albatross around the neck of WF and it could be years before the school can afford to let him go.

When was the last time that a P5 coach survived an 0-31 season?

I didn’t watch a minute of our team this year. That will continue if necessary.

Neither did I and I won't watch again until Manning and the staff is gone.

i mean, sure -- i certainly won't watch more than the 100 minutes of wake bball i did this year. but i bet what's even more important is for shah's hotel industry to pick up or another big donor to step up. that is, if manning sticks around it's not bc there are some doofuses in charge who believe he's going to turn the program around.

I just don't know what the solution is outside of making the dumpster fire as big and bright as possible. I don't know anything about finances, but like can't the AD take out a loan or something? There won't be any fans left in two years.

To the OGB lawyers: how long, timeline wise, would it take for Manning to file suit and have suit heard and judged if he was to be terminated immediately. It could take long enough for the inevitable economic correction to occur when the rona subsides. (I know this won’t happen, but still interested in the answer)

I’m not in banking, but feel I would have a hard time underwriting a loan to fire a coach.
Bank: So, why do you need this loan?
Wake: Because we can’t afford to pay what we are contracted to pay. Some of our fanbase thinks we should just not pay it and let it play out in court.
Bank: (raises eyebrow)
Bank: Well, I am a bit nervous taking on that amount that you just said you can’t afford to pay. Help me out. So, you get a better coach . . . How much additional revenue do you think you could generate next season?
Wake: Oh, we actually aren’t sure if we will even have a season. We don’t know when we will play again.

Sure, a loan makes sense.

I’m not in banking, but feel I would have a hard time underwriting a loan to fire a coach.
Bank: So, why do you need this loan?
Wake: Because we can’t afford to pay what we are contracted to pay. Some of our fanbase thinks we should just not pay it and let it play out in court.
Bank: (raises eyebrow)
Bank: Well, I am a bit nervous taking on that amount that you just said you can’t afford to pay. Help me out. So, you get a better coach . . . How much additional revenue do you think you could generate next season?
Wake: Oh, we actually aren’t sure if we will even have a season. We don’t know when we will play again.

Sure, a loan makes sense.

I wouldn't as wake is an entity with a billion dollars sitting in an endowment fund and many properties to tie the loan to. Seems like almost a sure bet for a banker. Plus that banker would go from being a nobody to a goddamn hero

Hey 2&2, what is the sum total of money your firm has paid in buyouts to all those people you've fired ?

More than enough to know that you don't let the buyout/severance/settlement dictate the timing of the firing. It is simply a monetary negotiation, it'll get settled before it ever hits trial. You might end up paying a little more or a little less than you originally anticipated, but at the end of the day in no way does that monetary fluctuation justify the weeks, months, or in this case YEARS of retaining the toxic employee. Literally as we have seen in the example of Manning, it craters the entire fucking business and alienates the clientele. it is infuriating how Currie has botched something so simple that the fucking shift manager at Burger King would have known the correct answer of what should have been done 11 months ago.

To the OGB lawyers: how long, timeline wise, would it take for Manning to file suit and have suit heard and judged if he was to be terminated immediately. It could take long enough for the inevitable economic correction to occur when the rona subsides. (I know this won’t happen, but still interested in the answer)

He can't do a goddamn thing for the foreseeable future, the Courts are closed for monetary civil matters like this. He literally has no immediate recourse if Currie fired him today. But Currie is too much of a pussy, because that move would be offensive to Manning and some third parties who don't give a shit about us anyway, completely ignoring the fact that he continues to offend and disrespect us every damn day by keeping Manning around.

There’s probably an arbitration clause, so courts likely don’t come into play.

More than enough to know that you don't let the buyout/severance/settlement dictate the timing of the firing. It is simply a monetary negotiation, it'll get settled before it ever hits trial. You might end up paying a little more or a little less than you originally anticipated, but at the end of the day in no way does that monetary fluctuation justify the weeks, months, or in this case YEARS of retaining the toxic employee. Literally as we have seen in the example of Manning, it craters the entire fucking business and alienates the clientele. it is infuriating how Currie has botched something so simple that the fucking shift manager at Burger King would have known the correct answer of what should have been done 11 months ago.

Have you honestly dealt with a fully guaranteed employment contract? Severance sure.

Back