• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

There’s probably an arbitration clause, so courts likely don’t come into play.

This is apparently the most asinine contract ever written, you can't assume anything about it. Given what else Manning's side got, I'd put the odds on the requirement of a jury trial with venue stipulated anywhere but Winston.

Have you honestly dealt with a fully guaranteed employment contract? Severance sure.

Yes, plenty of term contracts have acceleration clauses if terminated early for reasons other than malfeasance. Doctors especially will have fully guaranteed contracts. And a good portion of them are jackasses that ultimately need to get canned early.

The reason that Manning is not fired without paying the buyout is because Wake would end up looking bad to the pool of coaches available if it reneged on the contract and made him sue. I have no idea whether that is accurate or not, but that has always been the thought process.

Around the country, I know that Florida and UConn have both dabbled in "for cause" terminations of McElWaine and Ollie, respectively, but I don't remember the full result of either, and i don't feel like looking it up. I can't think of a single situation where the for cause termination was losing.

About time to move on. We starting to look a little small worrying about this. Soon we will all know someone whose family has suffered tragedy from the current situation. End the end we are talking about a fucking game here. Let it go.

The reason that Manning is not fired without paying the buyout is because Wake would end up looking bad to the pool of coaches available if it reneged on the contract and made him sue. I have no idea whether that is accurate or not, but that has always been the thought process.

Around the country, I know that Florida and UConn have both dabbled in "for cause" terminations of McElWaine and Ollie, respectively, but I don't remember the full result of either, and i don't feel like looking it up. I can't think of a single situation where the for cause termination was losing.

So, again, they are worried more about what unrelated third parties think than the few hundred or so fans who are left after 10 years of this shitshow. That is bullshit and another reason why Currie should be fired. If some potential coach is worried that he'll lose as much as Manning so as not to get paid himself, then why the fuck would we want him anyway? Manning has set the bar pretty damn low for nonpayment.

Pretty sure UConn actually did go to court with Kevin Ollie about his contract. Considering their b-ball program is cratered after winning a championship recently, might not be a good look.

About time to move on. We starting to look a little small worrying about this. Soon we will all know someone whose family has suffered tragedy from the current situation. End the end we are talking about a fucking game here. Let it go.

It is a Wake Forest sports message board. Pretty sure that those who would think small of us probably don't even know this exists.

Nope.

He can't do a goddamn thing for the foreseeable future, the Courts are closed for monetary civil matters like this. He literally has no immediate recourse if Currie fired him today. But Currie is too much of a pussy, because that move would be offensive to Manning and some third parties who don't give a shit about us anyway, completely ignoring the fact that he continues to offend and disrespect us every damn day by keeping Manning around.

If the action were filed in state court in Forsyth County, looking at around 5-7 months to get a SJ hearing and, if there are issues of fact, around 14-18 months for a trial date. Federal Court would be longer.

If there is an arbitration clause, still looking at 10-16 months for an arbitration hearing using most arbitration entities.

I'm getting the feeling this is out of Currie's hands now, and there are higher-ups who are getting cold feet. Those TIAA Cref 403(b) accounts at Wake have lost over 1/3rd of their value in the past 60 days. The big money maker in the ACC (football) may have its season delayed if we don't shut everything down to control the virus. Everybody is taking a big financial hit right now.

I beginning to think that is was never a consideration to let DM go in the first place. Maybe that's why there is no "he's staying" announcement. Why announce anything if there was never a consideration one way, or the other? A lot posters on these board have "sauces", but maybe it's all just speculation (wishful thinking) from all of us, and the "sauces".

I beginning to think that is was never a consideration to let DM go in the first place. Maybe that's why there is no "he's staying" announcement. Why announce anything if there was never a consideration one way, or the other? A lot posters on these board have "sauces", but maybe it's all just speculation (wishful thinking) from all of us, and the "sauces".

This is 100% wrong. Last week there were buyout meetings happening.

The biggest decision in Wake sports for Currie is to fix the bball program, he has been here 11 months, wtf has he been doing?? its nobody but his fault, he can raise say 6-7 million and then go get a loan for another 6 million? that doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out. thats incompetence on Currie’s part, Shit or get off the pot.

So batshit crazy bigboy, amiright?

Interesting that your insider info seems to have no insider info on wtf Currie has been doing the last 11 months. That is some shitty insider info.

I can't believe you were able to solve the $15 million problem (with by my calculation, $12-$13 million) in one sentence! I can't believe Currie's big brain doesn't work as well as your large one. For shame!

And furthermore, with that fresh caprese sandwich, most likely on hogie bread, he WILL be shitting soon if he has not already done so.

I wouldn't as wake is an entity with a billion dollars sitting in an endowment fund and many properties to tie the loan to. Seems like almost a sure bet for a banker. Plus that banker would go from being a nobody to a goddamn hero

You got to be joking. Nobody can be so ignorant as to what has occurred in world financial markets in just the last 4 weeks. Hell man the Dow is down over 10,000 points ! What do you think that has done to the investment portfolio within the Endowment ?

ANY major expenditures at Wake are suspended until the BOT and it’s advisors get a handle on the damage.

As someone who has fired more than my share of people, you never wait to fire someone that you know is going to be fired. There is no perfect day to do it - there are always concerns about "who is going to replace them", "how do we get their work done", "what is the severance", etc., you can come up with excuses all day long why it isn't a good time to fire someone. So the correct answer is that you do it as soon as you justifiably know it is never going work out and you sort out the consequences later, whatever they are. Keeping them longer than necessary only breeds more toxicity and simply increases the complexity of the consequences, which is exactly what has happened here. Currie has majestically failed HR 101. He has had 11 months to do and didn't pull the trigger because of this excuse or that excuse when anyone with a brain knew it wasn't working out, and now we are likely stuck with this shitshow for yet another year. Complete failure on his part.

Absolute worst-case scenario was that he fires Manning, doesn't pay the buyout, and let the lawyers sort it out in a year or two and settle for some amount on the dollar. That happens EVERY DAMN DAY, yet he has been too much of a pussy to take a stand, and now we are stuck here.

More brain work. Awesome. BTW - the WORST way to ensure we hire an elite coach with a nice multi-year contract is to be the ONE school to try and walk away from a valid contract and not pay Manning out of some sort of spite for being a bad coach. You want to piss off prospective coaches not to mention Clawson and all our current set of coaches, go with big brain Leyritz. Granted, I have always had a difficult time reading your posts just for your handle and the fact that Leyritz fucking killed someone with his car while intoxicated. And you kept the handle. With your big brain.

Aw, cute. Are you still pretending you have some insider info?

I stand by what I said. Remember, feel free to immediately ban me if I'm proven wrong and he's let go before the start of the season. Are you still pretending that he's not coming back?

It's funny, because I mentioned the meeting between Currie, Mit Shah and the rest of the major donors concerning the buyout and was promptly ignored, called troll, etc. etc.. Then Palma and BabyDeac repeat the same thing, and it's gospel (they are correct btw).

Back