• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

Dude, you stated that what NYC is going through will likely not occur here. That does not strike me as an informed opinion and is most definitely minimizing the situation. Where did you come up with that and on what basis?

Why does Trump say the shit he says? Search your feelings, you know exactly why and it’s not to offer hope to the rubes he detests.

No one knows with certainty what the next month+ will look like in the U.S.

We could look like Italy or South Korea. Time will tell.

BTW, I thought this take on the coronavirus and temperature was worth consideration: https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/03/24/warm-humid-weather-coronavirus/

Thought this passage was particularly interesting:

Capital Weather Gang
Warm, humid weather could slow coronavirus, new research finds
Add to list
Laboratory studies are underway to see how temperature and humidity affect covid-19
Seasonality, explained: What warm weather could mean for the novel coronavirus
President Trump has said warm weather could slow the spread of the novel coronavirus, but experts explain it's too early to know if the virus is seasonal. (John Farrell, Elyse Samuels/The Washington Post)
By Andrew Freedman and
Simon DenyerMarch 26 at 9:09 AM
The novel coronavirus pandemic that has killed thousands, sickened more than 350,000 and sent major economies into a tailspin may be slowed by the upcoming changing of the seasons, several preliminary studies suggest. However, the research on how the novel coronavirus behaves in various temperature and humidity levels is only just getting underway.

Multiple early studies provide evidence of statistical ties between temperature and humidity ranges and the geographic regions where this virus has thrived. While none of these studies has been peer-reviewed, they all point to the same general possibility: The pandemic could ease in parts of North America and Europe during the summer months, although it could then come roaring back in the fall.

Anthony S. Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) and a visible figure on the White House coronavirus task force, said at a Wednesday press briefing that a seasonal cycle to the pandemic is possible, perhaps even likely.

“... I think it very well might. And the reason I say that is that what we’re starting to see now in the Southern Hemisphere, in southern Africa and in the southern hemisphere countries, is that we’re having cases that are appearing as they go into their winter season. And if, in fact, they have a substantial outbreak, it will be inevitable that we need to be prepared, that we’ll get a cycle around the second time.”

The anecdotal evidence suggesting a possible connection between the rate of spread of covid-19, the illness the novel coronavirus causes, and temperature emerged early on. One of the most puzzling things about the unfolding pandemic in Asia is why many countries and territories in the region have apparently been spared major, rapidly growing outbreaks, despite close contacts with China, where the outbreak began.

[Coronavirus may have a seasonal cycle, but that doesn’t mean it will go away this summer, experts warn]

The success of places like Taiwan, Singapore and Hong Kong in tamping down the epidemic could be ascribed to quick and decisive action by their governments as well as effective precautions by local residents to enforce social distancing.

But that doesn’t fully explain why Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam and the Philippines have largely been spared mass outbreaks of the disease, at least not on the scale that has been seen in Western Europe and the United States. All had huge numbers of Chinese visitors at the start of the year, have crowded cities and relatively simple health-care systems.

Cambodia was criticized early in the epidemic for failing to close its borders with China and even failing to promote the wearing of masks, with Prime Minister Hun Sen accused of putting his relationship with his strongest foreign backer ahead of the needs of his people.

Nearly two months since its first case, the country has recorded only 91 cases of the coronavirus, according to a Johns Hopkins University database, with almost all the infected people thought to have contracted the virus abroad.

Compare that to the United States, which added more than 10,000 cases during the past three days.

Already 7500 new cases today and 73 new deaths. The death toll over the next 7-14 days will shock plenty of skeptics. Let’s hope they don’t turn to calling the numbers fake news.

Cases stacking up here. Certainly not hanging my hat on any warm weather theories. NOLA is going under from it...Some confouding circumstances for sure but it is spreading like wildfire there. Future mother in law handmaking masks for nurses, including for my fiancee. Simply hoping for it not to be as bad as other places is second only to pure lunacy.

What do you meant by "the rest of the country"? Atlanta is already out of ICU beds.

Hubei province, where Wuhan is located, in 71,800 square miles and has 58.5 million people and got totally locked down. That's as large of an area as the states of NY, CT, and MA combined.

Rest of the country to me means the rest of the country - all of it. So no, what is going on in NYC will not happen to the rest of the country. There will be hot spots that will be very bad. As bad as NYC? I don't know - maybe. I doubt it.

Already 7500 new cases today and 73 new deaths. The death toll over the next 7-14 days will shock plenty of skeptics. Let’s hope they don’t turn to calling the numbers fake news.

And I am not a skeptic. I know the new cases and deaths are going to be terrible for the coming weeks. Anyone who is shocked by that is not paying attention. It must be expected. But it will peak and slow down. And eventually things will return to normal.

Keep in mind both Australia and Singapore are starting to see alot of new cases in the last week. Warmer weather may help some, but it isn't going to get rid of it. Signapore had its largest single day increase in cases yesterday.

South Korea basically had it under control started to ease restrictions and their cases starting going up again so they reinstituted their really strict controls.
China has just started letting people out of their houses in Wuhan and Hubei province in the last 48 hours - after basically being on lockdown for 2 months.

Getting back on topic. Do any Wake donors own plants that produce toilet paper? Maybe we can use a few truckloads as payment for Danny's contract.

No one knows with certainty what the next month+ will look like in the U.S.

We could look like Italy or South Korea. Time will tell.

BTW, I thought this take on the coronavirus and temperature was worth consideration: https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/03/24/warm-humid-weather-coronavirus/

Thought this passage was particularly interesting:

Capital Weather Gang
Warm, humid weather could slow coronavirus, new research finds
Add to list
Laboratory studies are underway to see how temperature and humidity affect covid-19
Seasonality, explained: What warm weather could mean for the novel coronavirus
President Trump has said warm weather could slow the spread of the novel coronavirus, but experts explain it's too early to know if the virus is seasonal. (John Farrell, Elyse Samuels/The Washington Post)
By Andrew Freedman and
Simon DenyerMarch 26 at 9:09 AM
The novel coronavirus pandemic that has killed thousands, sickened more than 350,000 and sent major economies into a tailspin may be slowed by the upcoming changing of the seasons, several preliminary studies suggest. However, the research on how the novel coronavirus behaves in various temperature and humidity levels is only just getting underway.

Multiple early studies provide evidence of statistical ties between temperature and humidity ranges and the geographic regions where this virus has thrived. While none of these studies has been peer-reviewed, they all point to the same general possibility: The pandemic could ease in parts of North America and Europe during the summer months, although it could then come roaring back in the fall.

Anthony S. Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) and a visible figure on the White House coronavirus task force, said at a Wednesday press briefing that a seasonal cycle to the pandemic is possible, perhaps even likely.

“... I think it very well might. And the reason I say that is that what we’re starting to see now in the Southern Hemisphere, in southern Africa and in the southern hemisphere countries, is that we’re having cases that are appearing as they go into their winter season. And if, in fact, they have a substantial outbreak, it will be inevitable that we need to be prepared, that we’ll get a cycle around the second time.”

The anecdotal evidence suggesting a possible connection between the rate of spread of covid-19, the illness the novel coronavirus causes, and temperature emerged early on. One of the most puzzling things about the unfolding pandemic in Asia is why many countries and territories in the region have apparently been spared major, rapidly growing outbreaks, despite close contacts with China, where the outbreak began.

[Coronavirus may have a seasonal cycle, but that doesn’t mean it will go away this summer, experts warn]

The success of places like Taiwan, Singapore and Hong Kong in tamping down the epidemic could be ascribed to quick and decisive action by their governments as well as effective precautions by local residents to enforce social distancing.

But that doesn’t fully explain why Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam and the Philippines have largely been spared mass outbreaks of the disease, at least not on the scale that has been seen in Western Europe and the United States. All had huge numbers of Chinese visitors at the start of the year, have crowded cities and relatively simple health-care systems.

Cambodia was criticized early in the epidemic for failing to close its borders with China and even failing to promote the wearing of masks, with Prime Minister Hun Sen accused of putting his relationship with his strongest foreign backer ahead of the needs of his people.

Nearly two months since its first case, the country has recorded only 91 cases of the coronavirus, according to a Johns Hopkins University database, with almost all the infected people thought to have contracted the virus abroad.

Compare that to the United States, which added more than 10,000 cases during the past three days.

Yeah, I was talking with someone last night about this very issue. I had noticed that despite the proximity to China, the Asian countries (even China itself considering its population) was not being as hard hit as the Western countries. This will be an interesting issue to watch. Germany though does seem to be an anomaly thus far.

Keep in mind both Australia and Singapore are starting to see alot of new cases in the last week. Warmer weather may help some, but it isn't going to get rid of it. Signapore had its largest single day increase in cases yesterday.

South Korea basically had it under control started to ease restrictions and their cases starting going up again so they reinstituted their really strict controls.
China has just started letting people out of their houses in Wuhan and Hubei province in the last 48 hours - after basically being on lockdown for 2 months.

I don't believe South Korea ever imposed lockdown of any cities, which is amazing.

Rest of the country to me means the rest of the country - all of it. So no, what is going on in NYC will not happen to the rest of the country. There will be hot spots that will be very bad. As bad as NYC? I don't know - maybe. I doubt it.

And I am not a skeptic. I know the new cases and deaths are going to be terrible for the coming weeks. Anyone who is shocked by that is not paying attention. It must be expected. But it will peak and slow down. And eventually things will return to normal.

Why do you doubt it? Maybe it’ll be even worse in places like rural red areas where there are like two ICU beds and the residents watch Fox and trump pressers for their Coronavirus updates. I can definitely see the possibility for that. I hope it won’t happen like that. But I certainly don’t doubt it.

Your second post doesn’t match the first. Yeah it’ll be bad.

I hope you are proven right. I doubt you will be. I am looking at this myopically. My Mom is in Beaufort, SC. When will the temperatures be warm with high humidity? She gets a high of 81 on Friday. Great. But it doesn't consistently hit the 80s until May. That's too far off. The grocery stores down South are always ridiculously air-conditioned - great for the food, but also the virus.

I have heard the "cull the weak and infirm" rationalization. And I won't even bother judging that. I sort of get it. If you are 15 or 25 or 35 - 85 years seems like plenty. But the deaths are running the gamut. BTW, the weak and infirm include WWII, Korean and Vietnam war heroes. And they include our extended families. Communities in the south are going to be warmer sooner. But they also have a disproportionate number of "unhealthy" people ages 40-65. More so than in NY. I am really really worried that despite the global numbers and national trends, it is going to roll into various communities and too many are going to be unprepared.

Yeah, I was talking with someone last night about this very issue. I had noticed that despite the proximity to China, the Asian countries (even China itself considering its population) was not being as hard hit as the Western countries. This will be an interesting issue to watch. Germany though does seem to be an anomaly thus far.

One of my wife's best friends has lived in Thailand for about a decade now - they are a very authoritarian country and when the King tells the populace to do something (like a shelter-in-place warning), there's a stupid-high compliance rate. That being said, the government also has a history of completely downplaying crises like this.

I hope you are proven right. I doubt you will be. I am looking at this myopically. My Mom is in Beaufort, SC. When will the temperatures be warm with high humidity? She gets a high of 81 on Friday. Great. But it doesn't consistently hit the 80s until May. That's too far off. The grocery stores down South are always ridiculously air-conditioned - great for the food, but also the virus.

I have heard the "cull the weak and infirm" rationalization. And I won't even bother judging that. I sort of get it. If you are 15 or 25 or 35 - 85 years seems like plenty. But the deaths are running the gamut. BTW, the weak and infirm include WWII, Korean and Vietnam war heroes. And they include our extended families. Communities in the south are going to be warmer sooner. But they also have a disproportionate number of "unhealthy" people ages 40-65. More so than in NY. I am really really worried that despite the global numbers and national trends, it is going to roll into various communities and too many are going to be unprepared.

FL has been consistently in the 80s since this started and it’s one of the hardest hit states.

One of my wife's best friends has lived in Thailand for about a decade now - they are a very authoritarian country and when the King tells the populace to do something (like a shelter-in-place warning), there's a stupid-high compliance rate. That being said, the government also has a history of completely downplaying crises like this.

Thailand has just closed their airports.

FL has been consistently in the 80s since this started and it’s one of the hardest hit states.

Their governor has been slow to act as well. But yes, I am under no illusion as summertime is going to be bring national bliss.

BTW, if you are a comedy writer, your next script HAS to be the loner who has moved to Northwest Montana because Bozeman is just too cosmopolitan, and he is in his cabin in the woods and suddenly all this urban survivalists show up with their designer boots and tents and scatter all around him and run into all kinds of problems.

It's over. Manning is here for at least another year.

Back