• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

pretty impressive to see the responses to that tweet. one guy says support the team, the rest say "please quit" or some variation.

pretty impressive to see the responses to that tweet. one guy says support the team, the rest say "please quit" or some variation.

I feel bad for the players who are caught up in the middle of this. Fans are torn between wanting to support the "team" but not Manning. On the flip side if a player who is red shirted they ARE getting about $350,000 of free education and if the NCAA gives them one more year that's up to $420,000. You could graduate with some serious degrees if you wanted to.

More than likely a player that Manning recruits gets two years of free tuition, three minutes per game of playing time, and then transfers.

You find that impressive? You mean pithy, right?

I am sure that Danny Manning thinks he can turn this thing around. It is not his job to "quit." Someone has to finish last in the ACC every year. None of those coaches usually quit. They are fired. That's how this works.

All these people who think Manning is being selfish by not quitting, giving Wake back all the money he is owed by contract are living in some stupid alternate reality.

Manning, at least several years ago, was an average to solid ACC recruiter. He was pretty good at finding 3-star talent that became 4-star talent and 4-star talent that became 5-star talent. He signed a few of those guys. From everything I have read, he's been a pretty relentless recruiter, both himself and the staff. That has fallen the last several years because we have sucked for a while now. I imagine he still thinks he can get this done. All he needs is that one recruit, another really good 2-week stretch, etc...

Now, we all know it is a pipe dream, but the hounding of Danny Manning and the team via twitter or wherever is super lame IMO. And wildly tone-deaf in these times. That thing happening outside the window? It's the plague. It's 1918.

Essentially what you are doing is making the college basketball experience for a staff and the players somehow even darker than it has to be. College athletics is supposed to be stressful but rewarding, dare I say fun for the chosen few, but holy shit has this shit show sucked the joy out of just about every moment. See Brandon Childress' 3-minute bleeding heart following the Duke game as proof. So, while I am super frustrated we continue to employ a coach who is trending down (somehow) and who realistically can't finish any higher than 10th or 11th in the ACC in ANY given year, I will continue to support the players. Understand that if your goal is to ensure that Currie and Shah and Sutton understand that very few Wake alumni who are basketball fans believe this will ever work, that job is done. #Successing!

At this point, we are fixating on a near apocalyptic situation in the hoops program almost like it is a shiny object that distracts from the apocalyptic shitshow happening just outside the window (or at least the grocery store). I generally think our fan base is collectively considered whiny little bitches. And fuck if that ain't true.

Our coach is not very good at coaching. He likely would have been fired with a hefty buyout (which he contractually is owed) if not for Armageddon. Dang it. Bad fucking luck. From Prosser dropping dead forward the last 15 years - outside the wisps of Skip's recruits via Dino, John Collins, and a game or two here and there - we have been absolutely cursed. It's true. We have made our points. Folks in the decision making tree are aware. Now, we wait for the riddle of the plague to be resolved and hope that this time next year, the world will spin on its axis in some semblance of normal so we can try anew with a new coach.

You find that impressive? You mean pithy, right?

I am sure that Danny Manning thinks he can turn this thing around. It is not his job to "quit." Someone has to finish last in the ACC every year. None of those coaches usually quit. They are fired. That's how this works.

All these people who think Manning is being selfish by not quitting, giving Wake back all the money he is owed by contract are living in some stupid alternate reality.

Manning, at least several years ago, was an average to solid ACC recruiter. He was pretty good at finding 3-star talent that became 4-star talent and 4-star talent that became 5-star talent. He signed a few of those guys. From everything I have read, he's been a pretty relentless recruiter, both himself and the staff. That has fallen the last several years because we have sucked for a while now. I imagine he still thinks he can get this done. All he needs is that one recruit, another really good 2-week stretch, etc...

Now, we all know it is a pipe dream, but the hounding of Danny Manning and the team via twitter or wherever is super lame IMO. And wildly tone-deaf in these times. That thing happening outside the window? It's the plague. It's 1918.

Essentially what you are doing is making the college basketball experience for a staff and the players somehow even darker than it has to be. College athletics is supposed to be stressful but rewarding, dare I say fun for the chosen few, but holy shit has this shit show sucked the joy out of just about every moment. See Brandon Childress' 3-minute bleeding heart following the Duke game as proof. So, while I am super frustrated we continue to employ a coach who is trending down (somehow) and who realistically can't finish any higher than 10th or 11th in the ACC in ANY given year, I will continue to support the players. Understand that if your goal is to ensure that Currie and Shah and Sutton understand that very few Wake alumni who are basketball fans believe this will ever work, that job is done. #Successing!

At this point, we are fixating on a near apocalyptic situation in the hoops program almost like it is a shiny object that distracts from the apocalyptic shitshow happening just outside the window (or at least the grocery store). I generally think our fan base is collectively considered whiny little bitches. And fuck if that ain't true.

Our coach is not very good at coaching. He likely would have been fired with a hefty buyout (which he contractually is owed) if not for Armageddon. Dang it. Bad fucking luck. From Prosser dropping dead forward the last 15 years - outside the wisps of Skip's recruits via Dino, John Collins, and a game or two here and there - we have been absolutely cursed. It's true. We have made our points. Folks in the decision making tree are aware. Now, we wait for the riddle of the plague to be resolved and hope that this time next year, the world will spin on its axis in some semblance of normal so we can try anew with a new coach.

No we are not cursed, the problem is we have imcompetent decision makers at WFU. stop making excuses for those losers at the top, i mean every university in America goes through things but they are smarter than we are, the last 15 years has been terrible decision making at the top not being cursed or bad luck.

No we are not cursed, the problem is we have imcompetent decision makers at WFU. stop making excuses for those losers at the top, i mean every university in America goes through things but they are smarter than we are, the last 15 years has been terrible decision making at the top not being cursed or bad luck.

While it’s hard to argue with much of what Jaybone is saying, you are correct bigboy. If our previous AD had not screwed up two basketball hires and then doubled down with the worst contract in sports history, we wouldn’t be in this position. Danny would have been gone last year or the year before and we’d be reeling in Matta, Beilein, Forbes or another solid coach this year.

I truly do feel awful for the players but this is all our athletic administrators and decision makers fault. COVID has now put Currie in a bind and we may be stuck with Danny because of it.

While it’s hard to argue with much of what Jaybone is saying, you are correct bigboy. If our previous AD had not screwed up two basketball hires and then doubled down with the worst contract in sports history, we wouldn’t be in this position. Danny would have been gone last year or the year before and we’d be reeling in Matta, Beilein, Forbes or another solid coach this year.

I truly do feel awful for the players but this is all our athletic administrators and decision makers fault. COVID has now put Currie in a bind and we may be stuck with Danny because of it.

Nope i cant feel sorry for the players, they decided to play for Manning, and now they decide to continue to play for him.

Nope i cant feel sorry for the players, they decided to play for Manning, and now they decide to continue to play for him.

Maybe some of them aspire to have a Wake degree...Maybe some love North Carolina but weren’t recruited by Roy or K. Maybe some of them build rapport with Randolph or Woodberry.

Don’t be so dense.

And let’s take it a step further.

You say they continue to decide to play for them. First of all we’ve already had two transfers. So who are we talking about? Chaundee? Don’t you think he wants to finish what he started, get a Wake degree and move on? The guys who were freshmen this past year? I’d imagine they’re waiting to hear how things will play out, but don’t be surprised if we lose a couple of them. Sarr? Hasn’t it been mentioned on here by every legitimate source that he claims he’s gone if Danny is back?

Just take a step back, take care of yourself and your family. Our hands are tied for the time being and there’s nothing anyone can do about it.

Direct your anger towards the man who got us into this situation.

o

I don't disagree with this specific argument. Has nothing to do with the players though.

I feel you have particularly dysfunctional over the last month or months - first sharing your "insider sources" declaring the buyout a done deal - or close to it, then, sometimes in the same day, talking out the other side of your mouth and declaring the opposite. It somehow feels representative of where we are as a country. It is like you are FoxNews and MSNBC reporting from opposite ends, but at the same time. It's been fucked up to observe.

I also didn't intend to imply or use Prosser's death as an excuse for bad decisions by Wellman. As I have said on here before, a common problem with people in power/leadership is that through the early arc of their career in leadership, they make dynamic decisions because they are listening to people. For good reason, they don't yet have a certain level of experience. See Wellman's hiring of Prosser, for example, as a process that worked. Soccer has been a success. Then, often the case is that these guys (or gals) get to a place where they tell everyone what to do. And they stop listening. Particularly to those who are either critical or have opposing/differing views. That seems to be what happened with Wellman. He didn't listen well. He doubled down on shit he didn't have to double down on, and he focused on the things he was still good at - elite alum relations.

He did manage to get facility upgraded and he did hire Clawson. Tennis, soccer, and golf have been on either super solid footing or trending up for a while now ...

But yes, Wellman - bad as it relates to basketball for sure. Currie, tbd.

And let’s take it a step further.

You say they continue to decide to play for them. First of all we’ve already had two transfers. So who are we talking about? Chaundee? Don’t you think he wants to finish what he started, get a Wake degree and move on? The guys who were freshmen this past year? I’d imagine they’re waiting to hear how things will play out, but don’t be surprised if we lose a couple of them. Sarr? Hasn’t it been mentioned on here by every legitimate source that he claims he’s gone if Danny is back?

Just take a step back, take care of yourself and your family. Our hands are tied for the time being and there’s nothing anyone can do about it.

Direct your anger towards the man who got us into this situation.

As far as bball decisions these kids knew what they were getting into playing for Manning. If we lose 20 games next year im not sure i understand why you would feel bad for the kids. You could go to plenty of schools in America and get your degree and play bball. Definitly happy for any kid thats gets a degree but cant feel sorry for these kids anything to do with bball. Im talking purely bball standpoint.

BTW the kids on our bball team are great kids and i would never bash them but what im trying to say is you cant feel bad for these kids who signed up to play bball for Manning.

Maybe there is going to be a mass exodus in the next couple of weeks, but the transfer window has been open for awhile as 575 D-1 players have entered the portal, lots of players have even picked their new destinations. Even so, WF has had just two kids enter the portal, both of whom had been expected, even if John Wooden had returned from the grave to coach WF. Have no inside info, but it doesn't seem WF has been hit by the volume of transfers that many forecasted. At least not yet.

I know we have been debating what to call Manning (or maybe what to autocorrect to?), just like we have [Redacted]. [PaintTouches] is in the mix yet [DFL] seems to be the frontrunner. But I'll throw out [CoronaCoach] or [COVIDCoach] or something along those lines. Because there is so much unbelievable collective will against him, and yet he stubbornly remains. So when all is said and done, this pandemic is shaping up to be a large part of the story of why he was given a far longer leash than any coach of his caliber should have ever warranted.

The fact that his coaching has been like a virus sweeping through our program is just an added bonus.

BTW the kids on our bball team are great kids and i would never bash them but what im trying to say is you cant feel bad for these kids who signed up to play bball for Manning.
Interesting perspective for you to have. When many of these players committed to Manning, at the same time you were touting Manning’s prowess as a coach and brilliant recruiter. That we should all relax because the program was in such good hands with Manning.

If you look at the dates our players committed, Manning’s best recruits committed before he coached a game and during the First Four season until the start of the next season. That’s it.

Back