• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

Yeah but a lump sum payout while the market is down has more value now too.

Doesn't change the number due to Danny. But might mae an accelerated payout more attractive. (If the contract has a protracted one.)

I saw Danny Manning touching his face and not washing his hands - can we fire him for cause now?

“Here, Danny. Take this $12M instead of $15M. It’s a good time to buy.”

Yeah. I don’t think that will work.

This doesn’t set up well to get rid of Manning unless Currie has the cash in hand. But if that was the case, there wasn’t much to negotiate.

There can always be things to negotiate. Currie's task is to get the most favorable terms for Wake he can for Danny's departure. If he doesn't try, he's not doing his job.

OTOH, Did Danny start the Corona virus as a way to keep his job?

Insane that Danny could tap dance around getting fired because of the Wellman to Currie transition in 2019, and the coronavirus pandemic in 2020. Guessing we should expect the attack of the aliens in 2021.

Since the ACC tourney is now officially over, Currie is on the clock! Fire this fucking clown NOW!

Now that the ACC Tourney has been cancelled, perfect time to go ahead and fire the Mannequin.

On the plus side, if the NCAA cancels its tournament, more coaches will become available sooner.

Patience, young grasshoppers.

Asking Manning to walk away from millions of dollars because of incompetence is a bad take. Waste of internet space. Non-starter. I feel the frustration, but get a binky.

As I posted after the NC State blowout loss, this will all be about timing. You WON'T see a Manning firing until Monday or Tuesday - after the ACC tournament and NCAA tourney seeding. Honestly, I think the virus escalation stuff of the last 48 hrs changes the calculus a bit - not sure how. On the assumption that this has been in the planning stage since we lost our home game to Ga Tech while honoring our last ACC championship team, then this is all about maximum timing to benefit our basketball brand. The benefit comes on the hiring announcement, not the firing.

Let's just say the plan is to announce Thad Matta end of next week. How does he get to Wake? Do you do a standard press conference? Does he even get to meet the returning players?

Who has displayed the most incompetence?
Manning coaching
Wellman negotiating contracts

Technically everyone failed to make the 2020 tournament. #HistoricalCompetitiveness

FWIW, I would be all for the NCAA holding the selection show and announcing the bracket even if the games aren't going to be played. At least it would give sports nerds something to bitch/argue about over the next weeks or months about who got left out, who was over/under seeded and what would've happened had they played the games. At least Dayton could claim their first #1 seed in school history. Would guess that are a quite of few coaches that will miss out on their incentive bonuses who were a lock to make the field.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Manning’s going to burn the place down on his way out WAIT HE ALREADY DID

05bcef5e41c940b82102d61aea4f24a4.jpg

Tensions remain high in Winston-Salem as the Danny Manning buyout negotiations spilled into their third day with neither side willing to give an inch. Wake Forest AD John Currie emerged from the latest session appearing exhausted and disappointed by the lack of a deal. "This guy is the most stubborn sunuvabitch I've ever had the misfortune of sitting across the table from... He's stoic. He's unflappable. I'm not even sure what he's talking about at times, but he somehow worked paint touches into the discussion. It seems pretty clear that his strategy is to just repeatedly force his tired arguments in the hopes that the mediators have to make a call. But the strangest thing is that he's not offering any defense at all."

I'm clearly losing my mind over here. Sorry.

Is that French News Babe? She's been around for a while and still looks like she did fifteen years and two kids ago.

Is that French News Babe? She's been around for a while and still looks like she did fifteen years and two kids ago.

Yeah... I only included her because it’s been too long since she made an appearance on the boards. But it’s probably a pic from ~15 years ago. At least now it’ll be what I see on Tapa when this thread comes up.

I looked it up after posting and she hasn't changed much at all. She's married to a French comic/actor who is a few inches shorter than she is.

With all this uncertainty, I don't think this is the right time to be looking for a new coach. At the most basic level, we don't know if students will be going back to school in the Summer and if college athletics will resume. There are worst case scenarios of tens of thousands of deaths that could impact players, coaches, and staff.

With all this uncertainty, I don't think this is the right time to be looking for a new coach. At the most basic level, we don't know if students will be going back to school in the Summer and if college athletics will resume. There are worst case scenarios of tens of thousands of deaths that could impact players, coaches, and staff.

You serious? This will likely have passed by the Summer/Fall. Regardless, at some point basketball will resume.

Back