• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

Regardless of whether or not Currie actually wants to move on from Manning, Currie has far bigger fish to fry right now. There's almost no chance an announcement is made in the next few weeks until there's some sort of stabilization with the COVID-19 panic and a 'return to normal'. I guess it's possible that a move is made later this spring, but there's much more important things for Currie to worry about now.

[Note, I don't say panic because I think people's fears are unwarranted, I say panic because, well, it is]

Not sure what else Currie has to worry about now; granted it's a mess, but with spring sports basically at a stand-still, what else does he have to focus on? I don't see Wake doing anything that the ACC and/or NCAA does not dictate, so again not a whole lot of decision-making for Currie other than the head coach for MBB.

There are no more important things for John Currie to worry about than kicking Manning to the curb. This Corona business is an overblown blip on the radar and will soon pass. Getting rid of Manning is enormous and the only thing he needs to focus on. Spring sports are canceled so nothing there to distract the matter at hand. He has had almost a year to arrange the buyout funds. Close the freaking deal!

Not sure what else Currie has to worry about now; granted it's a mess, but with spring sports basically at a stand-still, what else does he have to focus on? I don't see Wake doing anything that the ACC and/or NCAA does not dictate, so again not a whole lot of decision-making for Currie other than the head coach for MBB.

Currie oversees the health and safety of hundreds of staff and players. Even with practices and classes cancelled, there is still an enormous amount of work that goes into the ongoing management of these types of situations. It’s not like he’s sitting on his hands with nothing to do.

I wonder where the sudden cancellation of the postseason puts Shaka with Texas. They won 5 of their last 6 to get to a very respectable 19 - 12.

Currie oversees the health and safety of hundreds of staff and players. Even with practices and classes cancelled, there is still an enormous amount of work that goes into the ongoing management of these types of situations. It’s not like he’s sitting on his hands with nothing to do.

Bullshit. You are a moron Waldo if you think any of this crap takes precedence over firing the worst basketball coach in school history. This is one of the most important moments in WF history. Unbelievable that anyone fails to recognize this.

Here's the Wake-specific story on canceling the spring game and suspending all sports.

To add: I think the excerpt from the ESPN article is accurate. Probably not what yall want to read/hear, but it seems the optics would be terrible to make an announcement one way or the other.

FWIW, after the release came from Wake, I sent a text to head of athletic communications asking if coronavirus cancellations would affect the time table for an announcement, regardless of what announcement would be. That was 4 hours ago, still waiting for a reply.

That makes a lot of sense Conor. They don't want to be the story in no sports weekend. Let other things distract.

That makes a lot of sense Conor. They don't want to be the story in no sports weekend. Let other things distract.
RJ, can you check your Skype chat with Sutton and give us an update?

Wait til monday morning and then do it. Then get someone hired quick. Don't drag this out. If there is bad publicity to be had, so be it. Get it done and everyone will forget about the details of coronavirus and basketball coach firings in 3 months.

Not sure what anyone thinks will be better on Monday than it has today. This is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Not sure what anyone thinks will be better on Monday than it has today. This is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

But today is the day all the sports were cancelling events and schedules. It would kinda look bad

I think if it was anyone other than Danny it would have been easier. If Danny got fired the day they called off March Madness, it would be a much bigger story than in a few days or next week. We'd look bad to those who don't know how awful he was here while talking about his remarkable run. ESPN and everyone else would get an easy story to tell and Wake wouldn't look that great.

Yep. By Monday, we could be getting reports of more people in here US sports world diagnosed with coronavirus, maybe even Wake student-athletes.

Regardless of whether or not Currie actually wants to move on from Manning, Currie has far bigger fish to fry right now. There's almost no chance an announcement is made in the next few weeks until there's some sort of stabilization with the COVID-19 panic and a 'return to normal'. I guess it's possible that a move is made later this spring, but there's much more important things for Currie to worry about now.

[Note, I don't say panic because I think people's fears are unwarranted, I say panic because, well, it is]
Couldn't you make the case Currie has far less to do? The Atheletic Program is shut down. Looks like to me this is the only thing he needs to do.

Yep. By Monday, we could be getting reports of more people in here US sports world diagnosed with coronavirus, maybe even Wake student-athletes.

Or just Wake students in general.

As much as we all want Manning gone yesterday, I think it's reasonable to put this on the back burner for at least a couple weeks while everyone adjusts to the new normal.

Although I don't buy the contract payoff is just to high, let's say they need to raise money to mitigate the damage. It's not possible for the amount raised to be zero. Whatever the contract number is that effort will make it less. So the question is what is a reasonable amount you think could be raised?

I am hoping we have hit peak panic but maybe not.

The Swine Flu killed 12,000 in the US alone. The Corona virus is at 5,000 world wide and China appears to be recovering.

This is obviously serious but the panic is nuts and may be more harmful than the disease before this ends.

Although I don't buy the contract payoff is just to high, let's say they need to raise money to mitigate the damage. It's not possible for the amount raised to be zero. Whatever the contract number is that effort will make it less. So the question is what is a reasonable amount you think could be raised?

I'm sure it's been said, but there is no reason he has to be paid in one lump sum. Even if there is not bookmarked money for a buyout you can certainly allocated $3m per year in your future budgets. You just need to reassign his position from head coach to scout or recruiter or something like that. In 2 years if he wants to quit and move on that I'm sure that cancels the rest of the contract.
Let it be known I know nothing about how contracts are written, obviously.

It would surprise me if we hear of an announcement anytime this week with the corona virus situation being "fresh".

Back