• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

"I think our team has definitely improved,'' Manning said. "I think if you look at the individuals that are on our team and how they have come from where they were last year to where they're at right now, I think without question there's been improvement.

"I definitely feel like we have taken some steps, not as many as I would like, not where I'm content with where we're at, but I certainly feel like we have taken those steps in a direction that I want our program to go in.''

Danny. None of us are content with where we're at, and we certainly do NOT feel like you have taken any steps in a direction we want the program to go in.

:confused:

Grand Canyon fires Dan Marjele today. If they have the balls to can Thunder Dan, then surely we have to balls to can DFL.

There are a lot of individual things that need to be cancelled to fully shut down the spring athletics seasons. To name a few:
Hotel rooms at every away venue for men's golf, women's golf, men's tennis, women's tennis, baseball, track and field, etc.

Transportation to all the above for the athletes, coaches and staff.

Event staff for all home sports events will need to be "descheduled." People to prep and cleanup the football stadium for the spring game won't be needed.

Include trips for Currie and other senior AD people to the NCAA tournament venues. Good place for informal networking to find the next coach.

Ticket refunds. Wake soccer tournament for one.

Redoing the budget because expected revenue won't happen. ACC tournament share. NCAA tournaments share. ACC network revenue drop because no programming available.

Currie will be very busy in the short term. And he will probably have much less money to work with next week than he would have expected last week. With many colleges staying closed after spring break and the NCAA mandated shutdown of spring sports, there is a major change of circumstances that is unprecedented in college sports. Past years predictors may have little value in 2020.

I greatly devalue my own previous predictions in this new set of circumstances.

The only thing that appears certain is that as of now, Danny Manning is head coach of Wake Forest Men's Basketball.

Every thing you listed is what will have to be handled by the athletic dept which includes lots of computer geeks, marketing & PR folks, lawyers, etc., but as another poster stated, all Currie should have to do is tell his admin. folks to handle the above and they'll take care of it. Currie is the CEO of a multi-million dollar business, and like any CEO his main priority is to have a strategic vision and plan and get the best people in place at the highest levels to to run the show. But if he's calling the Days Inn in Shikshinny P.A. to cancel a hotel reservation for the track team, we've got the wrong guy.

Grand Canyon fires Dan Marjele today. If they have the balls to can Thunder Dan, then surely we have to balls to can DFL.
Honestly, Marjele's firing has weird optics to me. The guy had four straight 20 win seasons, then had one bad one this year.
That seems like an extremely douchey move; like zero gratitude.
Of course, they are a Liberty/Oral Roberts "jesus" school, so that's not surprising behavior.
OTH, someone mentioned earlier that they're rumored to be linked to hiring Rick Pitino, so maybe there just dumping Marjele for that.
Pitino and his secret hookers would fit right in at an Evangelical university.

Last edited:
I don’t think we gain anything by firing Manning now or next week. There’s no coaching or workouts allowed and there’s no recruiting until April 15th (that could end up being longer). I assume Currie wants to fire Manning, and I think he’ll wait to do that until student athletes are allowed back on campus and when recruiting resumes. That would be the time to announce Manning’s firing, and make the contract with the new coach. The only issue with that is that another school beats us to the coach we desire, for example Texas fires Shaka (I don’t think they will) and they start talks with Beilein and he ends up deciding to sign a contract to be their next coach (even though i don’t think he wants to, this is all hypothetical). Now we missed out on that opportunity. I think if Currie was in talks with Beilein, Matta, or Forbes and told them this plan, they would all promise Currie that they would stay committed to Wake until the announcement of the Manning firing. The contract would already have been created and agreed upon now, but they would sign it at a later date when more appropriate.

I think this is what Currie will do, if he’s smart. Of course he could do it next week, and I think all of us would be happy, but I personally would be even more happy if Currie was able to do what I said above. Just my thought process about the virus situation with the idea Manning will be fired.

^ i can see someone thinking (wrongly) that optics are bad right now. But if it hasn’t happened by next week imma gonna be concerned

There were a shit-ton of players that entered the transfer portal today... If we’re going to make a change, it needs to happen sooner than later. New coach can reach out to transfers right away. We’re likely going to need some once Manning is fired.

If he were being retained wouldn’t they just go ahead and say it? Why wait to just say he’s coming back? Maybe negotiations. All I know is each day that goes by makes me more and more nervous.

Now would be the perfect moment to get rid of him if they want to avoid the possibility of students celebrating by rolling the Quad. There are no students, and no rolls.

There were a shit-ton of players that entered the transfer portal today... If we’re going to make a change, it needs to happen sooner than later. New coach can reach out to transfers right away. We’re likely going to need some once Manning is fired.
With the suspension of recruiting et al, I don't think coaches are allowed to have contact with potential transfers. The players can announce they're transfering to get their name out there but that is supposed to be it.

With the suspension of recruiting et al, I don't think coaches are allowed to have contact with potential transfers. The players can announce they're transfering to get their name out there but that is supposed to be it.

I read a long list of schools that had reportedly already contacted one of them.

Manning’s Wikipedia page lists him as a basketball player. We just need Currie to confirm what the rest of the world already knows; this man is not a basketball coach.

Article on line today listed the top 29 paid basketball coaches. The bottom coach was being paid 2.9 million dollars a year. How could we be on the hook for a buyout of 15 million?

Because if someone has a contract for 2.9 million for five years and it is "fully guaranteed" that adds up to 15 million

Back