• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

I’m undecided on the SAT issue but without a publicly announced quota system getting rid of it only makes it more likely that a university will accept students with deeper pockets, which in turn will jack up tuition rates even further.

Correct, no SAT requirement provides lots of flexibility admitting kids whose parents/grandparents can pay full freight.

I’m undecided on the SAT issue but without a publicly announced quota system getting rid of it only makes it more likely that a university will accept students with deeper pockets, which in turn will jack up tuition rates even further.
Correct, no SAT requirement provides lots of flexibility admitting kids whose parents/grandparents can pay full freight.
But it also enables admissions to diversify incoming classes in unprecedented ways. The policy requires careful balancing.

That people tend only to see one or the other probably says as much about their own biases as it does about admissions policies.

SAT will continue to decrease at colleges for admission. Wake was well ahead of the curve there and rightfully so.

VT announced today that it is doing away with testing requirements for admission. Also, Bud Foster will speak as part of the online commencement. The other speakers are Nikki Giovanni and the 2018 Miss America, a VT alum. Now that's an All Star line-up.

VT announced today that it is doing away with testing requirements for admission. Also, Bud Foster will speak as part of the online commencement. The other speakers are Nikki Giovanni and the 2018 Miss America, a VT alum. Now that's an All Star line-up.

Nowhere near as good as 2019 Miss USA.

Can I like both Dan and Conor? 22 may be right that we will not have Conor on the beat for long, but not for the reason 22 may think.

Conor is a good sports writer. I meant that Dan got great access because he was the perfect beat writer for WFU. He toed the line and was very laid back and likeable. I’m biased because I really liked Dan Collins and enjoyed his writing for many, many years. Conor is more of a Lenox Rawlings type of writer. Rawlings was extremely talented but could step on some toes. So, while Conor will likely do well as a sports writer, he might not be a long time WFU beat writer given his more aggressive style. I hope I’m wrong. I probably shouldn’t have posted that.

JFC I’m guessing Conor will be a million times more offended by the comparison to Lenox.

Conor understands the game (read his tape session series which is excellent), asks the tough questions, calls it like it is and works for the public (not the AD). We are honestly lucky to have the coverage considering the 200 wake fans in Winston.

17 in 35 minutes! 2:03 average, haha.

I appreciate the positive feedback from yall. Appreciate anything constructive that's put on here as well.

The 22 comments aren't constructive, though. It's a continuation of comments from one of the Facebook groups in January, when the Santino Marucci kid committed. He commented something of "Good riddance, Newman," to which I pointed out that even if Jamie had stayed, they'd still have needed a QB in the '21 class. Conversation, if you can call it that, devolved from there, with him explaining that I'm too sensitive (maybe has a point), that I'm nothing like Dan (definitely has a point; I only played trumpet in 4th and 5th grade and can't sing to save my life) and that my time at the Journal would be short because of those things.

I encouraged him then, as I do now, to please reach out to my editors and tell them what an awful job I'm doing. If it's constructive then shit, maybe I'll take his criticisms into consideration. But if all he has to offer is "You're not Dan" and "your career will be short" ... then hell, I don't know what to do with those nuggets.
Dude, I explained my comment below. However, you have taken it too far. You have used my first name on here and invited readers to look at the FB post to see who I am behind wfu22fan. That’s wrong. And yes, you are too sensitive to criticism. Don’t be such an immature smart ass. Act professional like Dan and stay off of message boards.

Dude, I explained my comment below. However, you have taken it too far. You have used my first name on here and invited readers to look at the FB post to see who I am behind wfu22fan. That’s wrong. And yes, you are too sensitive to criticism. Don’t be such an immature smart ass. Act professional like Dan and stay off of message boards.
If we have to choose who stays and goes, I chose Conor. The fact that he's here is one of the numerous reasons he's much better at the job than Dan was.

Conor is a good sports writer. I meant that Dan got great access because he was the perfect beat writer for WFU. He toed the line and was very laid back and likeable. I’m biased because I really liked Dan Collins and enjoyed his writing for many, many years. Conor is more of a Lenox Rawlings type of writer. Rawlings was extremely talented but could step on some toes. So, while Conor will likely do well as a sports writer, he might not be a long time WFU beat writer given his more aggressive style. I hope I’m wrong. I probably shouldn’t have posted that.

Honestly not sure why anyone would want to be the Wake Forest beat writer right now. Football is doing fine, but basketball is putrid and the fan base is giving up in droves or the few that are left are really pissed off and the AD won’t talk to you. That sounds like a shite job and I’d be trying to move on if I could.

Text from a fellow Wake fan tonight after Chaundee news “when i think about Wake bball im not even mad anymore, now its just flat out sad”. Aint that the truth.

I posted a month or so ago that Wake would be better off just sacking Manning and making Brown and Sarr player coaches. As I pointed out, what is the worst that could happen - they finish last in the ACC and lose on the first day of the ACC tourney? Where have I seen that movie before? In all seriousness - who would you pick to win - a team without Brown and maybe even Sarr coached by Manning vs a team with Brown and Sarr coached by the players?

I posted a month or so ago that Wake would be better off just sacking Manning and making Brown and Sarr player coaches. As I pointed out, what is the worst that could happen - they finish last in the ACC and lose on the first day of the ACC tourney? Where have I seen that movie before? In all seriousness - who would you pick to win - a team without Brown and maybe even Sarr coached by Manning vs a team with Brown and Sarr coached by the players?

Any team without Manning.

I am beginning to believe that there is something going on between Currie and Manning - either Manning knows he is out once the timing is better, or they are currently in negotiations or even litigation, or they are just in a giant pissing match content on making the other miserable which I doubt. Check my math here:

1. A week or so before we play and lose to Pittsburgh, a reputable and long time ACC Sports media member reports that he has it on good authority that buyout negotiations are underway. Clearly a purposeful leak by one side or another.
2. Since the Pittsburgh loss, I have not seen or heard Currie mention Danny's name or say anything at all related to MBB. Not once, and he is a pretty active communicator.
3. Covid-19 hits our country hard completely changing all of the rules
4. Conor is unable to even get a response from Currie, clearly avoiding a conversation that he doesn't want or CAN'T have.
5. I have a lot of trust and respect for John and don't think he is the type to shy away from questions from reporters. He can handle all that, so clearly he feels like he shouldn't or is told he can't.
6. Danny acknowledges that his year-end review is still on-going and hasn't been completed yet. Seems odd since the season has been over for a while, but COVID-19 may have genuinely delayed it.
7. Chaundee responds to Conor interview with Danny by going all-in for Danny and Wake on twitter.
8. Chris Lea gets an interview with Currie but later claims that he had to promise no questions about MBB. Again, I am a Currie fan and don't believe he is scared of questions.
9. Currie speaks in interview about head coaches taking paycut and specifically mentions Clawson, but not a word of our other flagship sports coach. Why single out anyone unless you were delivering a hidden message.
10. Currie tweets 3 screen grabs of all-staff zoom meeting. He knows whose faces are on the screens. He knew what the replies would be. Clawson is there. Jen Hoover. Other head coaches, but only 1, that i saw, MBB assistant, and his jersey is hanging from the rafters.
11. Chaundee has had a VERY quick about face and his tweet is down and he is leaving Wake for somewhere else. I love Chaundee but he isn't going to get drafted this year.

Put all that together and it doesn't add up, or maybe it does to something else. The only thing I can't reconcile is the money. Even if the entire buyout is private money, the optics anytime soon would be terrible. I could be wrong, and I am definitely not a lawyer, but my guess is they are currently in negotiations or litigation or some sort and Currie is still trying to get Danny out, or he already has and they are both waiting for Covid-19 to be in a different place than it is today, or they are waiting to see what will happen with fall sports. Thoughts? Am I way off base, is there something to it.

I am beginning to believe that there is something going on between Currie and Manning - either Manning knows he is out once the timing is better, or they are currently in negotiations or even litigation, or they are just in a giant pissing match content on making the other miserable which I doubt. Check my math here:

1. A week or so before we play and lose to Pittsburgh, a reputable and long time ACC Sports media member reports that he has it on good authority that buyout negotiations are underway. Clearly a purposeful leak by one side or another.
2. Since the Pittsburgh loss, I have not seen or heard Currie mention Danny's name or say anything at all related to MBB. Not once, and he is a pretty active communicator.
3. Covid-19 hits our country hard completely changing all of the rules
4. Conor is unable to even get a response from Currie, clearly avoiding a conversation that he doesn't want or CAN'T have.
5. I have a lot of trust and respect for John and don't think he is the type to shy away from questions from reporters. He can handle all that, so clearly he feels like he shouldn't or is told he can't.
6. Danny acknowledges that his year-end review is still on-going and hasn't been completed yet. Seems odd since the season has been over for a while, but COVID-19 may have genuinely delayed it.
7. Chaundee responds to Conor interview with Danny by going all-in for Danny and Wake on twitter.
8. Chris Lea gets an interview with Currie but later claims that he had to promise no questions about MBB. Again, I am a Currie fan and don't believe he is scared of questions.
9. Currie speaks in interview about head coaches taking paycut and specifically mentions Clawson, but not a word of our other flagship sports coach. Why single out anyone unless you were delivering a hidden message.
10. Currie tweets 3 screen grabs of all-staff zoom meeting. He knows whose faces are on the screens. He knew what the replies would be. Clawson is there. Jen Hoover. Other head coaches, but only 1, that i saw, MBB assistant, and his jersey is hanging from the rafters.
11. Chaundee has had a VERY quick about face and his tweet is down and he is leaving Wake for somewhere else. I love Chaundee but he isn't going to get drafted this year.

Put all that together and it doesn't add up, or maybe it does to something else. The only thing I can't reconcile is the money. Even if the entire buyout is private money, the optics anytime soon would be terrible. I could be wrong, and I am definitely not a lawyer, but my guess is they are currently in negotiations or litigation or some sort and Currie is still trying to get Danny out, or he already has and they are both waiting for Covid-19 to be in a different place than it is today, or they are waiting to see what will happen with fall sports. Thoughts? Am I way off base, is there something to it.

Great post. I agree, something is up. IF we have a season, I would be surprised if Manning is on the sidelines. Currie and Manning are clearly not on the same side.

Interim coaching staff next year of former players who have played in Europe and are now coaching - Downey, Gray, Howard, Chill. May be our only option other than Manning.

If all that means Manning won’t be our coach next year then it seems like Currie is waiting for things to get better when things are not going to get better.

Back