• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning on 1 and dones: "We may as well have them on our team."

"One & Done" is a rarity for all minus Ky & Duke. Mich St & Ville are playing to get to Final Four with zero of them. Wisconsin is in Final Four w/o any also. Lastly Zags r trying to get there too w/o any. No coach other than Cal tries to build a program on players for one season. Of course Manning wouldn't turn one away, but he has to know that is not going to bring the program back to the tournament on an annual basis.

Adding one of those guys to a talented roster of 2-4 year players can be a pretty big boost though. Obviously Wake isn't going to become UK, but would be nice to get a top 15-20 guy every few years.

Might as well go for it. It's not like we will ever be Kentucky in this regard. We're talking about maybe landing one in a recruiting class somewhere, not 5 at a time per year.

I don't know why anyone is acting like this is an active decision

Donkzelic would have taken Harry Giles

Bz could barely get three star recruits

The stupid thing about one and dones is that if Aaron Rountree had come in as a freshman and 20 and 10, he would have turned pro as well. And he would have been smart to do it.

Right. People act like they have a crystal ball.

Pretty much the entire cast of 1 and dones from this year will come from the top 15 of ESPN 100 recruiting rankings. Hard players to get. Any coach would take them if you can get them. It's pretty rare for a mid level 4 star to go 1 and done

The stupid thing about one and dones is that if Aaron Rountree had come in as a freshman and 20 and 10, he would have turned pro as well. And he would have been smart to do it.

Bizzaro post.

I'm glad Rountree held down his stats so we didn't lose bkf.

The problem...and it really isn't Danny Manning's fault....is that team you aspire to see really wouldn't even be "Wake Forest", in the truest sense of the word. It would just be a bunch of whores hired by WF to wear its jersey for a year. Just an NBA minor league "feeder team", as it were. College basketball is all but dead at the power conference level. NBA money & TV money have destroyed it. Now it's all about hiring whores for "one-year stands" and bringing in as much money as you can....so you can spend even more money to bring in more whores & more money. What is pathetic is that the same people who endorse this concept also like to brag about what a great academic institution WF is....while they convince themselves that it's OK to pass these semi-pros off as students so they can brag about "Wake Forest" winning a basketball game at the office water cooler on Monday morning. What a damned bunch of hypocrites.
Duke does it, so why not WFU? Or do you want to keep sucking forever? The last time we were good, 2 year players Teague, Johnson and Aminu played for us. The Kentucky system is a farce as far as academics are concerned . But getting a few players who might go early is required to compete.

People are deluding themselves if the think we have been passing on five star recruits because they will leave after a year. They have been passing on us guys. We would have taken virtually every player on UK's squad if they had committed to us.

nobody believes we turned down 1 and done players, this just marks a visible change in recruiting philosophy to try to get the best player we can rather than try to get average gym rat guys and think the coach is good enough to coach them up for 4 years.

If that is the route he decides to take....which I felt all along would eventually be the case....the entire program can go to hell as far as I am concerned.

If I wanted to watch professionals play, I would be following the NBA.

Nice cast. I'll be interested to see how many strikes you get.

There's already a feeding frenzy to hit the hook.

Last edited:
The whole idea "one and done" schools are somehow cheating or less ethical and programs that have 4 year players are doing things "the right way" is bogus. The NCAA has changed. If you don't like it, well, too bad, the change is here. The NBA commish and some ADs are discussing the fact that the current system needs some attention, but there is far too much money in college basketball (and football) for things to change. College athletics at big time schools/conferences is about entertainment, marketing, and money. If you want to see programs that exist only for the "love of the game," then go watch Division II or III games.

That being said, it's a good move for Wake. It's not "stooping" to a lower level, it's playing the game as it currently is set up. And it's not like this is new for us- Aminu, Teague, Johnson- I had classes with those guys and can assure you that they brought the average academic level down, but not in any substantive way that changed the reputation or rigor of WF.

This. I don't like the one and done stuff but I would love to have some of those guys on our team. The game has changed and it's not going to change back. There's too much money out there both in college and the NBA.

If I were a 1 and Done kid and choosing what coach to play for, especially as a big, Manning has to be high on my list. Especially once he gets some real talent in the door to help out. Manning's 11th hour class for 2014, and his class for 2015 are pretty impressive, especially given we were plain awful the previous 4 years. I don't think we need Giles because we are going to get there soon anyway in my mind, but Giles would get us back to where we were when Skip passed away very quickly when added to the other guys. If we have Giles, Chill, Moore, Collins et al here or on the way, Danny is going to have to get REALLY selective, because he is going to have lots of calls...

Back