• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning on 1 and dones: "We may as well have them on our team."

If Bob Knight can have a two and done (Isiah Thomas), then it's good enough for us.

There seems to be a widespread memory failure on these boards regarding "where we were" when Skip passed away. The reality is that when that happened we had just finished two years where we were last in the ACC and next-to-last in the ACC...with a two-year ACC record of 8-24.

The reality is that we were really good again shortly thereafter with all of the players he had recruited and a questionable head coach.

We were "really good" for one year. We were bad before that and worse after.

If that is the route he decides to take....which I felt all along would eventually be the case....the entire program can go to hell as far as I am concerned.

If I wanted to watch professionals play, I would be following the NBA.

I generally don't have a problem with you Bob (although the Bobby Knight butt-kissing can be a bit tedious), but anyone who juxtaposes RM Knight and Elizabeth Warren as targets of admiration might be a wee bit bi-polar don't you think?

IOW, you must be a bit crazy if you think Warren would make a great anything, let alone President! ;)

Duke does it, so why not WFU? Or do you want to keep sucking forever? The last time we were good, 2 year players Teague, Johnson and Aminu played for us. The Kentucky system is a farce as far as academics are concerned . But getting a few players who might go early is required to compete.

Explain, please.

wasn't chase fischer one and done? that's what we got bob.

Of the first thirty or so college players that jumped after one or two years, Bob Knight coached three of them (i.e. a higher percentage of the whores than Calipari coaches now)

And BKF bolts from the thread

Since I thought it would be interested, I put together a quick list of the one-and-dones over the past three years that were drafted in the First Round and their respective RSCI rank-

Class of 2013
(1) Andrew Wiggins
(2) Julius Randle
(3) Jabari Parker
(4) Aaron Gordon
(8) Noah Vonlen
(9) James Young
(16) Joel Embiid
(23) Tyler Ennis
(49) Zach LaVine

Class of 2012
(1) Shabazz Muhammad
(2) Nerlens Noel
(5) Steven Adams
(6) Anthony Bennett
(10) Archie Goodwin

Class of 2011
(1) Anthony Davis
(2) Austin Rivers
(3) Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
(4) Bradley Beal
(7) Marquis Teague
(18) Tony Wroten
(38) Maurice Harkless

The problem...and it really isn't Danny Manning's fault....is that team you aspire to see really wouldn't even be "Wake Forest", in the truest sense of the word. It would just be a bunch of whores hired by WF to wear its jersey for a year. Just an NBA minor league "feeder team", as it were. College basketball is all but dead at the power conference level. NBA money & TV money have destroyed it. Now it's all about hiring whores for "one-year stands" and bringing in as much money as you can....so you can spend even more money to bring in more whores & more money. What is pathetic is that the same people who endorse this concept also like to brag about what a great academic institution WF is....while they convince themselves that it's OK to pass these semi-pros off as students so they can brag about "Wake Forest" winning a basketball game at the office water cooler on Monday morning. What a damned bunch of hypocrites.

I'm surprised you didn't call the players jezebels, bkf. Weird that the players are the target for most of your disdain in this rant.

Like Bob Knight, Wake Forest has never had a one-and-done player leave for the NBA.

I didn't realize Steven Adams was rated that high.

So 13 of the top 10 players in the last three classes were not one and done players.

I didn't realize Steven Adams was rated that high.

So 13 of the top 10 players in the last three classes were not one and done players.

No those were just the ones who were drafted in the first round.

Grant Jerrett was a one and done from the class of 2012 and he was drafted in the 2nd round.

Josiah Turner was a one and done from the class of 2011 and he wasn't even drafted.

Those were just the ones I can think of at the top of my head.

What's the highest number of Freshman to have declared for the draft in a season? Going back about 5 years, the highest number I came up with was 11.

Knight, he said, surely hadn’t meant to kick his son, Pat, having missed his real target, a chair. Nor had he intentionally head-butted another player, Sherron Wilkerson, the contact accidental.

Reed quickly became a Knight favorite, running hard, playing hurt. “We’re not tough enough at any position on our team, except for Neil Reed,” Knight said in what sounded like the beginning of a beautiful player-coach relationship, which lasted from 1994 to 1997. Except Knight’s reputation was finally costing him blue-chippers, and while the Hoosiers continued to pile up regular-season victories, they began to get picked off early in the N.C.A.A. tournament.

Knight wouldn’t stand for failure, nor was it ever his fault. By the end of Reed’s junior year, he was in Knight’s office, with two teammates, being told he had no future at I.U. and might as well transfer. It apparently wasn’t enough for Knight that Reed did move on. Knight wanted people to know that Reed had been told to go, and trotted out a couple of his younger players to question Reed’s character, kicking him on the way out.

The Reed family responded by saying that Knight had abused Neil mentally and physically. It took three years, in 2000, for the world to view the infamous video of Knight approaching Reed at a Hoosiers practice and snapping his head back with a firm grip of the neck.

And we wonder how in the world big-time college sports reached the level of moral decay at Paterno State? Even presented with the ugly, damning evidence, Indiana did not fire Knight, merely putting him on zero tolerance alert, which he predictably violated soon after

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/03/s...nown-as-player-choked-by-bob-knight.html?_r=0

I think Bob Knight had 3 players in 29 years at Indiana who completed their eligibility and did not graduate....and it might have only been 2 players. As far as guys leaving early for the NBA, there was Isiah Thomas & Jay Edwards that come to mind. There may have been one other, but if there was, the name escapes me.

3 guys completing their eligibility and not graduating & 3 guys leaving early in 29 years? I can live with that.

Different era.

It's not a coincidence that Knight's last great year as a coach was in 1993. In 1995 the number of early entrants with 2 or less years in college exploded (this was the KG, Joe Smith, Rasheed, Jerry stackhouse draft class).

In the 12 years following, Knight's teams won 63.8% of their games (vs. 73.5% before 1995) and made one Sweet 16.

In the same span, Skip Prosser's teams won 66.2% of their games and made one sweet 16.

Bob Knight failed to adjust to a changing culture, both on and off the court. I guess it should be unsurprising that his biggest fans failed to adjust as well.

This shit is so fucking old. Anyone who talks about Knight on this board should seriously get locked in a cage, doused in lighter fluid, and have a lit match flicked their way.

i would have a giant hardon if we got anyone that i thought might be one and done and so would everyone else except BKF.

this thread would've been 10 posts total if it wasn't for that old fart.

Back