• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Returning for 2019-2020 - b/c basketball decision, obvi

Yes, Nantz just mentioned Gardner-Webb beat us on the road this year and we're bringing back the coach who led us to that defeat.

This is confusing. I'm not prognosticating on what level of bad we are going to be. I'm just pointing out that Danny has been loathed by frustrated fans before. Bzd not so much. That's it. I still think he's a bad head coach too.

I get all the frustration. I happen to think as fans we did everything right this past year and it blew up in our face. I do think billboard type bullshit or picketing Manning's yard are the wrong way to go, but I get I understand the frustration.

For the record, I have never been a Manning "fan" (the way I was when Bzd was hired), I simply thought there was a right way and wrong way to fire and replace him. I don't think me repeatedly posting that is going to persuade anyone so I am going to remove myself from this "debate."

I don't think this is quite done though. I think it is worth noting that NOWHERE in any official statement do we have a quote from Currie. Maybe it exists, but I haven't seen any written or recorded words of support of Danny from Currie. This is Wellman's show and I am holding out hope that something remarkably different happens after May 1st and after NBA coaches (and possibly asst coaches) are done for the year either end of season or end of playoff run.

If there is one thing I've learned at Wake about hoops, is that when we lose our coach after all the coaches willing to change programs are done we wind up with the Staak's of the world or a sub-optimal choice in Dino.

What did he say?

Not an exact quote but essentially:

“Social media has its positives and negatives. Negative being people crawling out from under their rocks (or likely their moms basement) to question decision makers and claim they know better. #crawlbackin”

Something very close to that

Just to put things into perspective - Wake MBB has had 2 postseason victories since the end of the 2004 season. WFU Football has had three in three years.

Is too much to ask that Manning at least bring in new assistants?

He does not need new assistants. I'm pretty sure the first half of the season was all danny. The second half or so sure looked a lot different. Almost as if nestor saw enough and began to assert himself. Danny looked like he had checked out and was probably happy about it.

Not all of the donors are on board with this decision.

But Ron doesn’t give a damn. He’s a FIGJAM.

Do you have any sense of how many of the big hitters are opposed to this? I'd like to know how much heat the AD is getting from people with influence and whether it really matters (I know it won't matter for RW, but curious whether Currie or anybody else feels any pressure).

I'm pretty close to cancelling my 25-year DC membership. I don't have any connections and I know a letter will just get ignored. I don't know what else to do.

I'd like to figure out a way to register my dissatisfaction in a way that makes it clear to the people in charge that there are those of us out here, not lunatics, who are paying attention and who are very angry. If Wellman thinks it's only the lunatic fringe that's paying attention, he's mistaken.

Dino never received this kind of support from Wellman. He won and was fired because Wellman didn’t like the way he won, the players he won with. And because Dino knew the type of player he needed to stay at the top of the ACC, Ron sat him down and fired him, completely blindsiding a man with a 61-31 record. Ron didn’t like Dino.

There was no scandal, no coed or cheerleader, no drugs, or NCAA violations. Ron simply did not like Dino.

And Ron, being a classic narcissist and micromanager, destroyed a program because a capable coach stood up to him and pleaded his case for his team, for the guys he wanted to bring to Wake Forest. Dino wasn’t a yes man and Ron loves a yes man.

Ron has been allowed to make poor decisions that have mired this program in 9 years of suck and misery, so everyone from Hatch to the BOT is responsible. But they don’t care because “once we start winning, the fans will come back”.

How condescending is that? Fuck you, Ron Wellman. This is one fan who won’t be back.

This is interesting. Skip dies suddenly. Ron is given the opportunity to either find a new coach (bad time of the year to do it) or make Dino interim. But Ron hires him. In part he was hired to keep our top recruiting class together, which were, apparently, not the type of players Ron wanted at Wake. I guess it's possible that Ron has no idea that he didn't really like Dino at that point or realized that our recruits were not the type we wanted, but if we are going to lump 'Skip's recruits' into the mix, then I call BS on this as Ron was given the perfect opportunity to 'fix' Wake hoops and no one would have said boo.

You know what picture I have not seen in a WFU media guide in years. The graduation day picture with the coach and all his graduates from that year. Danny does not have that. GDO had them, Skip(may he rest in peace) had them. Dino had them, hell, even redacted had them. I guess Danny will gets one this year with the walk on Bilas.

Not an exact quote but essentially:

“Social media has its positives and negatives. Negative being people crawling out from under their rocks (or likely their moms basement) to question decision makers and claim they know better. #crawlbackin”

Something very close to that
Ah, I see it's been posted in another thread. Thanks.

giphy.gif

Condescending is Ron’s middle name. And I think he has a number of cousins in power st MSD.

So, Ben, we should all just keep our mouths shut and enjoy the screwing?

Wake athletics is now an exclusive club, run by a handful of guys who are calling the shots. If the 98% of us don't like, well then, fuck off. And as I posted earlier, I really don't think they give a damn if 10 people or 14,000 people show up for an event. It's about control and it could NOT have been made more clear to us today. If someone is actually dumb enough to give another dollar to these assholes, you deserve the product you'll receive. An absolute shit-show.

I think that's about where we are at this point in time.

So being rich is the only determining factor for who is right and wrong?

We will not be a bubble team next year. We have one ball-handler (PG) on this team and he likes to shoot. If you can’t move the ball around you are dead in the water.

No one else can shoot the ball worth a damn. Everyone else is below 35% from 3. No one on the team is above 50% on eFG% (unless you count Bilas). Overall, 330th in 3P%. 347th for 2P%. Seemingly, those should be better given the 109th FT%. But the poor ball movement seemingly belies the drop off away from the FT line--339th for assists.

Admittedly, the lack of team chemistry--from the constant flux of transfers and early departures coupled with non-elite, young players--could be a big part of the problem. Danny certainly shoulders a huge amount of responsibility for recruiting and keeping players, but I'm unsurprised that he can't coach them up to play better with the kind of player volatility he's had. Even Coach K couldn't make the Zion-less dookies play much better than an ok team despite have far better young tlent than Wake. ***Crap... is this why Ronnie stayed with Danny? A close loss to Zion-less Duke?***

Coredeac is spot on! It's not just athletics at Wake being run by a select few. I'm starting to feel that way about MSD as a whole, including the academic side. I'm reminded here of Reagan's quote about why he left the democratic party..........I didn't leave Wake Forest, it left me. And I hate feeling like this, but I do.

Coredeac is spot on! It's not just athletics at Wake being run by a select few. I'm starting to feel that way about MSD as a whole, including the academic side. I'm reminded here of Reagan's quote about why he left the democratic party..........I didn't leave Wake Forest, it left me. And I hate feeling like this, but I do.

This.

This is interesting. Skip dies suddenly. Ron is given the opportunity to either find a new coach (bad time of the year to do it) or make Dino interim. But Ron hires him. In part he was hired to keep our top recruiting class together, which were, apparently, not the type of players Ron wanted at Wake. I guess it's possible that Ron has no idea that he didn't really like Dino at that point or realized that our recruits were not the type we wanted, but if we are going to lump 'Skip's recruits' into the mix, then I call BS on this as Ron was given the perfect opportunity to 'fix' Wake hoops and no one would have said boo.
You are forgetting the part where Wellman then had a bike accident.

#TBIsAintNoJokeYo

Back