• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Returning for 2019-2020 - b/c basketball decision, obvi

Dino never received this kind of support from Wellman. He won and was fired because Wellman didn’t like the way he won, the players he won with. And because Dino knew the type of player he needed to stay at the top of the ACC, Ron sat him down and fired him, completely blindsiding a man with a 61-31 record. Ron didn’t like Dino.

There was no scandal, no coed or cheerleader, no drugs, or NCAA violations. Ron simply did not like Dino.

And Ron, being a classic narcissist and micromanager, destroyed a program because a capable coach stood up to him and pleaded his case for his team, for the guys he wanted to bring to Wake Forest. Dino wasn’t a yes man and Ron loves a yes man.

Ron has been allowed to make poor decisions that have mired this program in 9 years of suck and misery, so everyone from Hatch to the BOT is responsible. But they don’t care because “once we start winning, the fans will come back”.

How condescending is that? Fuck you, Ron Wellman. This is one fan who won’t be back.

Dino never received this kind of support from Wellman. He won and was fired because Wellman didn’t like the way he won, the players he won with. And because Dino knew the type of player he needed to stay at the top of the ACC, Ron sat him down and fired him, completely blindsiding a man with a 61-31 record. Ron didn’t like Dino.

There was no scandal, no coed or cheerleader, no drugs, or NCAA violations. Ron simply did not like Dino.

And Ron, being a classic narcissist and micromanager, destroyed a program because a capable coach stood up to him and pleaded his case for his team, for the guys he wanted to bring to Wake Forest. Dino wasn’t a yes man and Ron loves a yes man.

Ron has been allowed to make poor decisions that have mired this program in 9 years of suck and misery, so everyone from Hatch to the BOT is responsible. But they don’t care because “once we start winning, the fans will come back”.

How condescending is that? Fuck you, Ron Wellman. This is one fan who won’t be back.

giphy.gif

Yeah, I heard the same thing when Dino was let go, that Ron didn't like him and Ron didn't like the kind of players Dino (and Skip) were bringing into the program, that he wanted us to recruit guys who would stay 4 years and graduate. When Dino said Wake could not compete, Dino was canned. And it looks like Dino was right. Wake just isn't interested in competing in basketball anymore.

I have been saying for years that this is all Ron Wellman. This shitshow belongs to him and the idiots who’ve allowed him this much power and autonomy. He’s an asshole and he told a few folks in the office to “get ready for the tantrums” today.

This is why so many former WF athletes have distanced themselves from the school. He’s an arrogant jackass.

He gives absolutely zero fucks about the empty Joel, the fans, or the giant mistake he made in granting that buyout.

Yeah, I heard the same thing when Dino was let go, that Ron didn't like him and Ron didn't like the kind of players Dino (and Skip) were bringing into the program, that he wanted us to recruit guys who would stay 4 years and graduate. When Dino said Wake could not compete, Dino was canned. And it looks like Dino was right. Wake just isn't interested in competing in basketball anymore.

I feel like Skip and Dino did bring in plenty of players who stayed 4 years and graduated. To name a few -- JGray, LD, Big E, Hale, Ish, Taron, Levy, and so on.

Dude literally said earlier the reason why we ended up with Manning was because tons of other coaches decided that they didn't want to deal with the expectations of our fanbase. That was the hottest take these boards have ever seen.

That was another stupid take from the jayboner. If you really think successful coaches were scared off by a billboard you're a fucking moron. I can't even begin to imagine what Indiana or Kentucky fans would have done to an AD who hired a bzz level coach. I guess I never will have to because that AD would have been canned so fast.

NO, I said we got our 5th choice hire and part of that was the due to the billboard bs. It was a bad look on the cusp of a new hire.

You can think that is total horseshit, but the fact is we had a hof coach in Prosser, and an okay coach in Dino, and the fanbase went apeshit crazy on Bzd within minutes of the hire and we've essentially been shit ever since with the exception of JC. Those are facts. You can argue how we got there, but to dismiss my opine as the stupidest of all time in the face of "dumb and lazy" and 5 yrs after the Billboard opens us up to commit the same mistakes we've already made.

Nope...

This is such a load of horseshit. Which is not surprising, because it follows all the horseshit you shoveled for Manning last year, and for Coach Fuckface for multiple years as well.

Maybe just recognize that your prognostication skills with respect to basketball suck.

To be clear, I'm not claiming my ability to see the future is any better. But I'm not going to spend time criticizing those who get upset when Wake loses, repeatedly, because somehow I see shit that no one else can about why the team will be better at some indeterminate point in the future.

This is confusing. I'm not prognosticating on what level of bad we are going to be. I'm just pointing out that Danny has been loathed by frustrated fans before. Bzd not so much. That's it. I still think he's a bad head coach too.

I get all the frustration. I happen to think as fans we did everything right this past year and it blew up in our face. I do think billboard type bullshit or picketing Manning's yard are the wrong way to go, but I get I understand the frustration.

For the record, I have never been a Manning "fan" (the way I was when Bzd was hired), I simply thought there was a right way and wrong way to fire and replace him. I don't think me repeatedly posting that is going to persuade anyone so I am going to remove myself from this "debate."

I don't think this is quite done though. I think it is worth noting that NOWHERE in any official statement do we have a quote from Currie. Maybe it exists, but I haven't seen any written or recorded words of support of Danny from Currie. This is Wellman's show and I am holding out hope that something remarkably different happens after May 1st and after NBA coaches (and possibly asst coaches) are done for the year either end of season or end of playoff run.

Why are people clamoring for Randolph as an interim solution? Dude has been on deck for the worst 9 years in ACC history, and, according to several posters, has poor relationships with players. He's part of the problem, not part of the solution.

I'm not "clamoring" for Randolph to be the interim coach. He certainly isn't a long-term option but I'm just saying that I would rather have him out there coaching for the one year. If you prefer Nestor I am fine with that also. Just looking for a one-year low cost option just to get Danny off of the bench. Send him to Patmos with his $$$ and leave us along. At least, this way, we would know that he would be gone for good.

This is confusing. I'm not prognosticating on what level of bad we are going to be. I'm just pointing out that Danny has been loathed by frustrated fans before. Bzd not so much. That's it. I still think he's a bad head coach too.

I get all the frustration. I happen to think as fans we did everything right this past year and it blew up in our face. I do think billboard type bullshit or picketing Manning's yard are the wrong way to go, but I get I understand the frustration.

For the record, I have never been a Manning "fan" (the way I was when Bzd was hired), I simply thought there was a right way and wrong way to fire and replace him. I don't think me repeatedly posting that is going to persuade anyone so I am going to remove myself from this "debate."

I don't think this is quite done though. I think it is worth noting that NOWHERE in any official statement do we have a quote from Currie. Maybe it exists, but I haven't seen any written or recorded words of support of Danny from Currie. This is Wellman's show and I am holding out hope that something remarkably different happens after May 1st and after NBA coaches (and possibly asst coaches) are done for the year either end of season or end of playoff run.

STAHP

I feel like Skip and Dino did bring in plenty of players who stayed 4 years and graduated. To name a few -- JGray, LD, Big E, Hale, Ish, Taron, Levy, and so on.

That's a shitton more than Danny.

Lol Ben Sutton pretty clearly subtweeted Wake fans complaining about Manning and Wellman and then deleted it

Not all of the donors are on board with this decision.

But Ron doesn’t give a damn. He’s a FIGJAM.

Back