• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Returning for 2019-2020 - b/c basketball decision, obvi

If it's true that this was all Wellman's call, and Wellman's call alone, and went against the wishes of donors and other folks in the Athletics Department and university, I'd expect there to be some more leaks to that effect very soon.

College kids are generally speaking, pretty delusional, college athletes in particular. All are going to be Pros and all are going to go on an amazing winning streak and turn the season around.

That said, it is true that the players did fight hard for each other and the staff down the stretch. Say what you want about Sarr, but he had literally just seemed to turn a corner when he went down with the ankle injury and we played the last half dozen games with a gimpy grad transfer and a walk-on in the post. The grad transfer immediately retired from competitive hoops when the season was over to save his future health.

It doesn't change the fact that Brandon still makes bad turnovers, we don't play defense with any sustained passion, the same mistakes reoccur, players are asked to play to their weaknesses often (e.g., Mucius), players with NBA potential outside of Collins, Moore (arguable), and possibly Sarr (based on 2 games prior to his injury) aren't improving in the areas that would improve their draft stock, and despite Manning's reputation as a big man coach AND the fact that he recruited a 3-star PF prospect and he became a lottery pick in 2 years - we have YET TO SIGN A BIG from this country that realistically has a shot at starting in the ACC at the 5.

Stranger things have happened. I will say that Manning is infinitely better positioned to succeed in a hostile environment next year than Bzd in his last year. By succeed I mean ignore the haters and grind on (towards what - I don't know). Manning was an underachieving NBA player early in his career because of injury, personality and the fact that usually #1 picks become all-stars not cogs and role players - yet he grinded on. Manning was traded for Dominque, a beloved player in Atlanta. Most hated the trade, but it was actually an okay trade for Atl. Still Manning was loathed - not Jon Koncak loathed, but loathed nonetheless during what I call "the Mookie Blaylock era." Still, he grinded on. And here he is again in his career, mostly disrespected and loathed really through no fault of his own. He will grind on. Bzd was bothered by it, distracted, annoyed, and it showed. Players felt it. I think our players feel somewhat protected by Manning, which is I suppose a good thing.

Go Danny! Grind on!

Last edited:
If it's true that this was all Wellman's call, and Wellman's call alone, and went against the wishes of donors and other folks in the Athletics Department and university, I'd expect there to be some more leaks to that effect very soon.

Is it even possible for an AD to act with complete autonomy on a decision of this magnitude? I mean that would never happen in the corporate world obviously but have no idea how a university is different.

I don’t know how a basketball coach who doesn’t graduate his players would have so much support around the university.

It’s definitely true that the players seemed to go to the mat for Manning. Don’t know why but they continued to play hard throughout despite our horrific record and the complete incompetence of our game planning and in-game coaching.

This is a likely outcome, IMHO, assuming everyone comes back. If we can add a good grad transfer big man, I'd even dare say we could be a bubble team.

There's absolutely no way this happens. None.

I do not comment much on the boards (enjoy reading, get some info, a few laughs, etc). I also am pretty patient with giving coaches a chance to succeed. But I simply do not understand this decision - it must be money (buy out) driven because the performance is just not there. Danny is an extremely poor coach, the record is awful over 5 years, kids have jumped from the program in record numbers and he has severely under performed with the talent that has been attracted to the program (recruiting has been okay, not great).

I am a Wake grad, bleed black & gold and will never, ever cheer against the Deacs but I cannot watch Wake basketball games anymore - the results are pre-determined. I really feel bad for the players because there could be so much more.

Looking forward to cheering on Coach Clawson and the Football team in person at home games and providing support to the soccer, baseball, tennis and all other programs. Basketball is done until we have a new coach.

We will not be a bubble team next year. We have one ball-handler (PG) on this team and he likes to shoot. If you can’t move the ball around you are dead in the water.

There was a meeting with players at 8:15 this morning where Ronny told them "Nothing will change" for next year

College kids are generally speaking, pretty delusional, college athletes in particular. All are going to be Pros and all are going to go on an amazing winning streak and turn the season around.

That said, it is true that the players did fight hard for each other and the staff down the stretch. Say what you want about Sarr, but he had literally just seemed to turn a corner when he went down with the ankle injury and we played the last half dozen games with a gimpy grad transfer and a walk-on in the post. The grad transfer immediately retired from competitive hoops when the season was over to save his future health.

It doesn't change the fact that Brandon still makes bad turnovers, we don't play defense with any sustained passion, the same mistakes reoccur, players are asked to play to their weaknesses often (e.g., Mucius), players with NBA potential outside of Collins, Moore (arguable), and possibly Sarr (based on 2 games prior to his injury) aren't improving in the areas that would improve their draft stock, and despite Manning's reputation as a big man coach AND the fact that he recruited a 3-star PF prospect and he became a lottery pick in 2 years - we have YET TO SIGN A BIG from this country that realistically has a shot at starting in the ACC at the 5.

Stranger things have happened. I will say that Manning is infinitely better positioned to succeed in a hostile environment next year than Bzd in his last year. By succeed I mean ignore the haters and grind on (towards what - I don't know). Manning was an underachieving NBA player early in his career because of injury, personality and the fact that usually #1 picks become all-stars not cogs and role players - yet he grinded on. Manning was traded for Dominque, a beloved player in Atlanta. Most hated the trade, but it was actually an okay trade for Atl. Still Manning was loathed - not Jon Koncak loathed, but loathed nonetheless during what I call "the Mookie Blaylock era." Still, he grinded on. And here he is again in his career, mostly disrespected and loathed really through no fault of his own. He will grind on. Bzd was bothered by it, distracted, annoyed, and it showed. Players felt it. I think our players feel somewhat protected by Manning, which is I suppose a good thing.

Go Danny! Grind on!

Danny is fundamentally incapable of coaching at a high level. He's not sharp enough. It isn't going to work. This is a big business high money industry and he is competing with coaches and programs that are sharper and more charismatic and will always be steps ahead.

It'd be like if I was hired as a computer programmer to build a new app. I could have a great attitude and be immune to criticism and work really hard but it isn't going to turn out well in the end because I don't have the skills and it is too much to learn on the fly.

Citing the players’ input is next-level dumb. Either it’s true, in which case then Ron Wellman is so fucking stupid that he probably screws up so much because he has to concentrate on remembering to breathe. You don’t trust a bunch of 18-21 year olds, who by nature of their position have low-grade Stockholm Syndrome, to influence you regarding a multi million dollar operation.

Or it’s not true, meaning it’s just more bullshit tripe that this athletic department has tried to shovel down this fanbase’s throat. Oh heavens, yes.

And I’ll save you the suspense, it’s the latter. Wellman just gave a giant middle finger to tens of thousands of people. The idea that he gives a flying fuck what the players really think or want is laughable.

Any smart basketball coach is already on the phone trying to get a game with the 19-20 Deacs on the schedule.

Eff it. Let’s just play all road games for paychecks next season. Give other P5 teams a W against a P5 program. Collect checks to put towards hiring an actual coach for 20-21 and ensure that When Manning is finally canned, his record as the most abysmal coach in the history of the conference is safe for etenity.
Seconded.

It worked for the Washington Generals for decades...

Go Danny! Grind on!

This is such a load of horseshit. Which is not surprising, because it follows all the horseshit you shoveled for Manning last year, and for Coach Fuckface for multiple years as well.

Maybe just recognize that your prognostication skills with respect to basketball suck.

To be clear, I'm not claiming my ability to see the future is any better. But I'm not going to spend time criticizing those who get upset when Wake loses, repeatedly, because somehow I see shit that no one else can about why the team will be better at some indeterminate point in the future.

Then as soon as the door hits Wellman's ass on the way out, Currie should fire Manning.

jaybone is a first ballot hof awful sports board poster. He may be a hof bad poster, but I'm not really up on the history/his posts on the Pit/Tunnels.

Back