• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning substitutions

I didn't see the game but does anyone else see the irony in Odom expressing puzzlement over Van Horn's minutes?

No. I'd guess when Codi comes back TVH's minutes drop to roughly zero unless somebody needs a wake-up call or we need bodies.

To me it looks like Danny is trying to send a message that hard work will be rewarded. It has been said that TVH is the hardest worker in practice. He is being rewarded with playing time. Other players on the team, take note!

To me it looks like Danny is trying to send a message that hard work will be rewarded. It has been said that TVH is the hardest worker in practice. He is being rewarded with playing time. Other players on the team, take note!

Manning's substitution patterns look to me like he is truing to figure out what combinations work best in what situations and so far we have gotten wins over Indiana, UCLA and Arkansas. And with a 5-2 record, I would say he is doing just fine given his best senior guard is still out. Keep it up Coach.

I think this is the correct answer. It's a decent long term strategy as long as you don't get burned with it. We got burned at Richmond. We have survived the other times.

If the players buy that Danny is serious it will work out brilliantly. It seems he is serious. It is infuriating as a fan but I do kind of get what he is doing.

I don't think Danny is trying to send messages. He just likes to play fast, play a lot of guys and substitute a lot. I think his 2nd year Tulsa team only had two players above 55% minutes. We saw it last year for Wake as well. When you do this, and don't pay very close attention to detail to lineup mixes, a lot of bad lineup combinations will result on the floor.

I am certain manning thinks a lot about his substitution patterns. What remains to be seen is the long term success of his strategy.

I am certain manning thinks a lot about his substitution patterns. What remains to be seen is the long term success of his strategy.

He may think a lot about it, but he is not thinking well. He is very lucky that his infatuation with TVH has only cost us one game. I think he has a serious blind spot.

Bro, we get it. You say the same damn thing every time. Do you cut and paste it each time?

Manning doesn't strike me as coach who prepares/sticks to a rigid substitution schedule. Like FckVwls said, he likes to play fast and responds to matchups and performance as the game goes along. This can be hard to do in game while keeping a balanced lineup on the floor at all times.

Manning clearly has room for improvement in this area but I don't think his deficiencies come from a lack of understanding, but rather a lack of experience and maybe a little too much patience.

I don't think Danny is trying to send messages. He just likes to play fast, play a lot of guys and substitute a lot. I think his 2nd year Tulsa team only had two players above 55% minutes. We saw it last year for Wake as well. When you do this, and don't pay very close attention to detail to lineup mixes, a lot of bad lineup combinations will result on the floor.

If you believe Manning doesn't pay close attention to the lineups he puts out there, you're sadly mistaken. "Attention to detail" is literally one of Manning's most-common phrases. You may not agree with the rotation or substitution pattern, but I'm confident CDM knows exactly why its being done at that point and time. It's not for lack of attention, I'm quite sure.

Disagree if you want, but don't chalk it up to Manning simply not paying close enough attention.

Rutgers: TVH +11, Hudson +4, McClinton -6

UCLA: TVH -5, Hudson -10, McClinton -6

Vandy: TVH -15, McClinton -23

Indiana: TVH -2, McClinton -4

Often what Trent VanHorn doesn't do helps us more than what McClinton tries to do. Really it's a non-issue with Codi returning, but the Trent bashing is a little ridiculous. McClinton's shooting 31% from the line on the year and often seems to have no idea how our defense works, but people can't figure out why Trent gets minutes?

If you believe Manning doesn't pay close attention to the lineups he puts out there, you're sadly mistaken. "Attention to detail" is literally one of Manning's most-common phrases. You may not agree with the rotation or substitution pattern, but I'm confident CDM knows exactly why its being done at that point and time. It's not for lack of attention, I'm quite sure.

Disagree if you want, but don't chalk it up to Manning simply not paying close enough attention.

I don't think its a lack of attention as much as it is a failure to be proactive with substitution patterns. I noticed a couple of times in the Arkansas game where Manning pulled a couple of guys who were winded and we ended up with some weird lineups on the floor. These are lineups I imagine Manning would like to avoid but at the time thought were better than keeping tired players in the game.

I don't think Manning preps for a game thinking about the advantages of a Rondale, TVH, McClinton lineup. I think that lineup happens because Crawford, Hudson, and Collins are all winded at the same time.

Often what Trent VanHorn doesn't do helps us more than what McClinton tries to do. Really it's a non-issue with Codi returning, but the Trent bashing is a little ridiculous. McClinton's shooting 31% from the line on the year and often seems to have no idea how our defense works, but people can't figure out why Trent gets minutes?

This.

Ain't it a warm fuzzy feeling when Wake fans can armchair QB DM about the margin of victory.
I believe in DM.
Bring on Tarholes and Dook.

Rutgers: TVH +11, Hudson +4, McClinton -6

UCLA: TVH -5, Hudson -10, McClinton -6

Vandy: TVH -15, McClinton -23

Indiana: TVH -2, McClinton -4

McClinton is hands down the worst player on the team. I don't understand how this gets brushed aside.

I was finally able to watch "Driven". I had to laugh that people on this board (myself included) actually think we know more about basketball, including substitution patterns, than Manning.

"McClinton is hands down the worst player on the team. I don't understand how this gets brushed aside."

Agreed. People see someone who looks like a basketball player. But that is all you get. He does nothing well. He is so bad i was thinking today that when Hudson goes out Wake could do a 3 guard lineup with CMM, Crawford and Rondale and be better off.

Back