• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maps of Potential High Speed Rail between Charlotte and Atlanta

Do not want. Disaffected Atlantans used to sitting in traffic for three hours a day will view it as a commuter train and start living in Charlotte.

And those routes through Augusta and Columbia are pure idiocy. This thing has to go along I-85 and connect to Greenville and Spartanburg, or at the very least through Athens.

From the link within the link: "At this time, there is no money earmarked to pay for building the rail line."

Well that should end that.

5 posts, two from HP.

The real concern is for Atlanta experiencing an influx of 4-toothed rednecks taking "ma" down to see "colored people" in "the big city."

From the link within the link: "At this time, there is no money earmarked to pay for building the rail line."

Well that should end that.

It will take a long time, but this thing is actually getting legs it seems. And don't forget that Mayor Foxx is the new Transportation Secretary.

8 posts, three from HP.

Maybe I missed it, but what would the travel time be for Charlotte to Atlanta while making those stops along the way?

I like how Obama has simply stopped appointing white men to anything. This should work out well.

Maybe I missed it, but what would the travel time be for Charlotte to Atlanta while making those stops along the way?

I haven't seen any projected travel times, but would be very curious. Assuming you don't have to get to the train station an hour early like the airport, I think anything less than 4.5 hours would be worth it. Anything more than that, I would probably just continue to drive.

I haven't seen any projected travel times, but would be very curious. Assuming you don't have to get to the train station an hour early like the airport, I think anything less than 4.5 hours would be worth it. Anything more than that, I would probably just continue to drive.

that's about as long or longer than it takes to drive it. Needs to be quicker than driving, I would imagine, to make people want to use it.

that's about as long or longer than it takes to drive it. Needs to be quicker than driving, I would imagine, to make people want to use it.

But the selling point would be that you can keep working while you're traveling (assuming they're targeting business travelers and offer wi-fi). And for personal travel, if it's ultimately cheaper than the cost of gas and wear/tear, it might be favorable. Of course you then have to consider ground transportation once in Atlanta and it's one city that you need a car in.

94 is right. Plenty of people still drive between DC, NYC, and Boston, but a lot of people still take the train too. Now imagine if all of the people on the train were suddenly back in their cars instead.

And as out cities cores become increasingly denser, the need to have a car for a visit will diminish, especially if you're paying $20 a night to park it somewhere.

Plenty of people get off a plan in Atlanta or Charlotte and take a cab to their meeting or hotel. There's no reason they wouldn't do the same thing from a train station.

Also, whether or not to take the train or drive could be a last minute decision. If you're trying to get out of Atlanta at 2:00 on Friday, you might be okay driving. If you don't leave till 4:30, you might want to take the train.

If it is legitimately high-speed rail, it will be faster than driving and much more convenient than flying. Stepping off your train into the heart of a city is so clutch.

But the selling point would be that you can keep working while you're traveling (assuming they're targeting business travelers and offer wi-fi). And for personal travel, if it's ultimately cheaper than the cost of gas and wear/tear, it might be favorable. Of course you then have to consider ground transportation once in Atlanta and it's one city that you need a car in.

Good point. I just think it's a tough sell to not have a car in Atlanta once you get there (as you mentioned). If it were quick I could definitely see the appeal. I'm no business traveler so I don't know that mindset or culture much.

Good point. I just think it's a tough sell to not have a car in Atlanta once you get there (as you mentioned). If it were quick I could definitely see the appeal. I'm no business traveler so I don't know that mindset or culture much.

If you have to go to ATL, you want to know you can GTFO ASAP if shit goes down.

The train to DC from Charlottesville takes about as long as driving but its cheaper, I don't have to drive and can do other things, and I don't have the hassle of a car in the city.

I saw japan is trying to develop a high speed train using magnets. We are so far behind in this arena.

The train to DC from Charlottesville takes about as long as driving but its cheaper, I don't have to drive and can do other things, and I don't have the hassle of a car in the city.

I saw japan is trying to develop a high speed train using magnets. We are so far behind in this arena.

To be fair, we don't have to escape Godzilla

Being in DC is different than being in Atl. Unless it's changed a lot, public transportation in Atl is nothing like DC.

Back