• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Marriage Equality

PhilliesDeacs

Reaction score
After a long losing streak at the ballot box for marriage equality, it looks like the movement went 4 for 4 last night, barring a surprise in Washington. Two states - MD and ME - legalized equality outright, while Minnesota rejected limitations. I don't think we'll ever see equality adopted by every state (certainly not in places like Utah) before the Feds step in, but this is certainly a step in the right direction.

Thought it deserved its own thread.

MD gets a lot of shit around here, but very proud of my home state today.

MD gets a lot of shit around here, but very proud of my home state today.

I only hate College Park and Maryland sports. I've spent a lot of time in Maryland and generally loved it, especially Annapolis.

MD should also get a shout out for passing the Dream Act, allowing undocumented children to receive in state tuition at state schools. The Act passed the legislature, but was put to referendum by conservatives. Big win for the pro-immigration crowd.

MD should also get a shout out for passing the Dream Act, allowing undocumented children to receive in state tuition at state schools. The Act passed the legislature, but was put to referendum by conservatives. Big win for the pro-immigration crowd.

Yup, not much for the social conservatives to tip their hat on last night. If anything, a necessary sign that the country is becoming more progressive and that the GOP needs to join the 21st century on social issues if they want to win over the majority.

FIRST

MaineOutline.jpg

The Dream Act proponents argue that it's unfair... well, you know the rest of that argument. Tell me: if we allow these "innocent" children to get in-state tuition and treat them as victims, how can we not give their parents amnesty if the parents fall into the evil grasp of ICE? Can we send the parents back to Mexico, etc.? Furthermore, what do you say to someone who is on a list after having applied to become a legal immigrant? If you're for "open borders" like some anarchists and libertarians, fine, but what if you're not?

Many of their parents have lived here for decades. Where is the trillion or more to round them up and send them back?

We need to deal with reality.

Why don't we just let everyone in who wants to come? And, of course, we should provide them (and all of their relatives) with all the government services and programs that they might need and want. We should raise the taxes on the rich to cover the costs, and if that is not enough, then we should borrow more from China.

Been drinking since the the election sailor?

That is a some great tinfoil hat gibberish.

Rob Portman commentary: Gay couples also deserve chance to get married

At the time, my position on marriage for same-sex couples was rooted in my faith tradition that marriage is a sacred bond between a man and a woman. Knowing that my son is gay prompted me to consider the issue from another perspective: that of a dad who wants all three of his kids to lead happy, meaningful lives with the people they love, a blessing Jane and I have shared for 26 years.

Looking forward to the next/first prominent Republican who's in favor of marriage equality before/without discovering that one of his family members is gay.

Looking forward to the next/first prominent Republican who's in favor of marriage equality before/without discovering that one of his family members is gay.

This.

this drives me crazy. Conservatives seem able to see a different side of a social issue only when it becomes personal for them. Millions of americans can't marry the one that they love? Meh, who cares ,they are going to hell anyway! My son is Gay? Lets get rainbow flowers for the marriage ceremony!!!

Back