• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Marvel's The Avengers (reviews/discussion)

RollWave35

#KeepPounding
Reaction score
"The Avengers - Epic. EPIC! Everyone fights everyone, but it does deliver. Marvel's movies get better every single one. Hulk! HULK!!" - First Showing

"Just getting out of "The Avengers" world premiere. Thought the film was major. LOT of action, laughs and surprises. Hulk stole the show." - XXL Mag

"Seriously, if comic book movies are your thing, you will be fully satisfied by the concoction Joss Whedon has fixed for you with The Avengers." - Entertainment Weekly

"So that was AMAZING. Like, double plus awesome. Thank you Joss Whedon for giving us all the The Avengers movie we deserve." - Seth Green

"It. Was. Awesome! Ruffalo is terrific as Bruce Banner. Makes the role his, big time." - IGN

"THE AVENGERS. Finally, a Marvel film with a rousing finish. That third act is more than enough to make THE AVENGERS the best Marvel movie yet." - Ain't It Cool News

"The Avengers is pretty epic. There is probably more action in this film's climax than all the other Marvel movie combined!" - SlashFilm

"The Avengers was big, messy, fun. More importantly there's now nothing but Hawkeye fanfic swimming around in my head." - Movieline

"Absolutely loved THE AVENGERS. Was smiling from beginning to end. If you're a Marvel fan you're going to lose your sh*t in the theater. Also, the two things that made #THEAVENGERS amazing: the Hulk and the humor. Joss Whedon gets a 10 out of 10 on both of those." - Collider

Looking very much forward to this one.

Query - I have seen all of the character movies other than Captain America. Should I see CA before the Avengers?

Buddy of mine saw an early screening and said it is good

Yes. Probably not necessary for plot. It's just a good movie.

Query - I have seen all of the character movies other than Captain America. Should I see CA before the Avengers?
I definitely would. His is probably the most vital to the story actually, since his movie leaves off where Avengers supposedly picks up.

EDIT TO ADD: And Ph is right...it's a very good movie on its own.

I'm pretty excited about this one (not DKR excited, but pretty excited). Most excited about seeing the Hulk.

Ehh, I'll see this because of Joss Whedon, but my expectations are not too high. Captain America/Thor were the definition of inconsequential movies. Pretty much just a two-hour advertisement/prologue for The Avengers. That's the main problem I have with these Marvel movies. They are all just working towards setting up another movie, not being a movie in and of themselves. Just take a look at what Nolan is doing with Batman. Yeah, he's making sequels, but his movies are completely satisfying stand alone movies. They aren't concerned with setting up sequels, and if they are, Nolan finds a way to integrate plot with what his over-arching theme is. Sure, none of the Marvel movies are meant to have the impact of The Dark Knight, but I'll take actual filmmaking over fan-boy pandering any day. Maybe now that they are finally done setting up the story Whedon can get to more important matters.

Ehh, I'll see this because of Joss Whedon, but my expectations are not too high. Captain America/Thor were the definition of inconsequential movies. Pretty much just a two-hour advertisement/prologue for The Avengers. That's the main problem I have with these Marvel movies. They are all just working towards setting up another movie, not being a movie in and of themselves. Just take a look at what Nolan is doing with Batman. Yeah, he's making sequels, but his movies are completely satisfying stand alone movies. They aren't concerned with setting up sequels, and if they are, Nolan finds a way to integrate plot with what his over-arching theme is. Sure, none of the Marvel movies are meant to have the impact of The Dark Knight, but I'll take actual filmmaking over fan-boy pandering any day. Maybe now that they are finally done setting up the story Whedon can get to more important matters.

The Marvel style is more faithful to the comic book genre.

The Marvel style is more faithful to the comic book genre.

Thus the "fan-boy pandering." I want to see an actual movie, not a comic book. They are different art forms for a reason. Obviously the formula is working for them, and is drawing in the audiences, but they just aren't satisfying movies for someone who isn't entrenched in these worlds.

Thus the "fan-boy pandering." I want to see an actual movie, not a comic book. They are different art forms for a reason. Obviously the formula is working for them, and is drawing in the audiences, but they just aren't satisfying movies for someone who isn't entrenched in these worlds.

Agree to disagree. I think they do both. Stand alone and build anticipation/interest in future films.

I think it's necessary to tell a truly epic story. Two hours just isn't sufficient to tell this story, just like one comic isn't enough. You build and build and build until you reach that ultimately satisfying moment. The comics know this (hell, they've been building the Messiah story at Marvel for over five years leading into this summers AvX). This movie will make the past five years worth it. It's the payoff.

I just had a premature nerdgasm. They've done a great job marketing this, if it actually delivers as those Tweets indicate, it's a billion dollar movie.

Pretty much like anything associated with Joss Whedon. How can you go wrong with this movie?

Speaking of that, just saw The Cabin in the Woods, co-written by Whedon. It has flaws, but for any fan of Joss, or horror movies, it's a must see. Maybe the best deconstruction of the horror genre since Scream. It plays out like some delirious, stoner fanboy's nightmare. Highly recommend it, though people looking for a traditional "scary" movie will be disappointed.

They should call it something else. "The Avengers" is a British spy show.

They should call it something else. "The Avengers" is a British spy show.

Are you f'ing kidding me? "The Avengers" comic book has been around for 50 years and is far more well known than that show.

Last edited:
Back