• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mary Tyler Moore has died

Ugh. One of my all-time favorite ladies.

Happy Endings was a good show.

Wow. Sad. I am currently rewatching the MTM show on my business flights. Halfway thru season four. She had great tv presence and comedic timing. Definitely a tv icon!

She was a great one...RIP

I thought she'd be older than 80.

When I was little I used to watch the Mary Tyler Moore Show on Nick at Night to help make sure I wouldn't have bad dreams. It always seemed to help. RIP.

9d91de8879df6e83bf2bbd501659b4c4.jpg

Mary%252520Tyler%252520Moore16_thumb.jpg

RIP

That is sad news. Another of the giants gone from among us. RIP.

Her show was part of what has been called one of the greatest nights of TV. Saturday night, 1973's lineup was: All in the Family, MASH, MTM, Bob Newhart Show and Carol Burnett Show.

So damn cute.

NPR Fresh Air aired a 1995 interview with her last month the day the producer of The Mary Tyler Moore show passed. Really good stuff. Here's my favorite excerpt.

http://www.npr.org/2016/12/09/50496...inker-mary-tyler-moore-producer-and-nbc-chair

GROSS: What were you told about the character of Laura?

MOORE: Just that she was going to be a wife, a television wife. And that really had its classical parameters and dimensions. And they were established and they hardly ever varied except as to whether or not the wife was the star of the show, in which case she was the funny one, or if she were the straight man for the male star and she was then totally supportive. But all these wives were kind of obedient and, you know, a representative of the vows to love, honor and obey. They hardly varied from that. And with Carl Reiner's character, the way she was written, Laura actually had opinions of her own. And while she was asserting herself, she also didn't make Dick Van Dyke look like a dummy. It was a matter of two people.

I mean, society's expectations at that point still said, hey, wait a minute, lady, you only go so far here. But I think we broke new ground, and that was helped by my insistence on wearing pants, you know, jeans and capri pants at the time because I said I've seen all the other actresses and they're always running the vacuum in these little flowered frocks with high heels on, and I don't do that. And I don't know any of my friends who do that. So why don't we try to make this real? And I'll dress on the show the way I do in real life.

GROSS: But it wasn't that easy. The sponsors were afraid you'd look brazen.

MOORE: Right. They pointed specifically to - they used a term cupping under. And I can only assume that that meant my, you know, my seat, that there was a little too much definition. And so they allowed me to continue to wear them in one episode - one scene per episode and only after we check to make sure that there was as little cupping under as possible. But...

GROSS: Cupping under referring to the fit of your pants...

MOORE: The fit of the pants, yes.

GROSS: ...On your behind

MOORE: On my behind, right. But within a few weeks, we were sneaking them into a few other scenes in every episode, and they were definitely cupping under and everyone thought it was great.

(LAUGHTER)

MOORE: And the funny thing is, you know, women liked me. They were not envious of the fact that their husbands had a crush on me. It was OK with them. They were the first to - when I would meet people, they'd say, my husband loves you so much and he thinks you're so sexy. And this was an odd thing because they were also able to identify with me as a friend, as a girlfriend. There was no resentment and no fear.

-------

TL;DR version: 70s TV couldn't handle dat ass

RIP

So hot back in the day, especially on the Dick Van Dyke Show. May she RIP.

Back