• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maryland athletics continues to struggle financially, despite planned move to Big Ten

I don't get it, why would I cry? This isn't exactly unexpected at this point in the game. We haven't moved yet.

She effed up the Franklin issue too. Probably wouldn't have hired him anyway, but definitely not hiring a green coach to a BCS school for north of $2mm per year like her stupid HCIW contract stated. I think that Vandy will fall back to earth soon though, although I do like seeing them succeed in the SEC.

Sounds to me like it was Kevin Anderson that screwed the pooch with Franklin. And what's 2 mil for a coach that is a stud who would have assured your football program doesn't drop off the face of the map?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...james-franklin-may-be-terps-one-that-got-away

First, to state the obvious, MD's problems aren't due to being in the ACC. Second, this article is pretty stupid. MD hasn't moved to the Big Ten, and the lawsuit is still pending thus current financial results are certainly not indicative of what they will be once MD is in the Big Ten.

Yow should quit college sports and run for Mayor of Detroit. She'd need a good financial whiz - Casstevens should fit the bill.

There's a few things wrong with your post, but there's no use seriously responding to you.

Have fun with Debbie!

Always love how the simple minded people like to blame Debbie for Marylands troubles.

1. Maryland fans begged their school (Debbie) to expand their facility to keep up with everyone else. Everybody was expanding their stadium in the early 2000's and UMD was no exception. It was on the UMD fans to actually show up and buy the tickets which they didn't. Similar sized schools have had no problem selling their expansions and paying off debt. UMD fans love to blame Debbie for expanding the stadium but seem to forget how much they were clamoring for it a few years earlier. UMD averaged 36k fans at their Home games last year. That is really telling for a school that has 37k students enrolled.
2. UMD also wanted the Comcast center built as well. This is another huge expenditure that their fans continue not to support. Attendance was down again this year at their home basketball games. Again, their fans arent showing up to support their team.
3. UMD likes to think of themselves as a public ivy and is proud to be competitive in lots of Olympic sports. This is another area that their fans clamored to be competitive in and spend money. These of course are supported by football and basketball which their fans continue not to support. Hard to pay for these sports when there is no money coming in from FB or BB.
4. The FB coach fiasco had nothing to do with Debbie. KA fired Freidgen, he let Franklin leave, and he hired a terrible replacement for a lot of money. Yet their fans continue to blame Debbie for something she had nothing to do with.

Debbie has been at State for 3 years now, in that time, she has managed to generate a budget surplus every year for our athletic dept. We have high debt levels at State as well for the CF upgrades we built as well. The MAIN reason why we are healthy and they aren't is that our fans continue to show up and pay for the upgrade that we asked for. UMD is a big school with similar size alumni base. Their fans should look to themselves as to why they are in such a big budget deficit.

Always love how the simple minded people like to blame Debbie for Marylands troubles.

1. Maryland fans begged their school (Debbie) to expand their facility to keep up with everyone else. Everybody was expanding their stadium in the early 2000's and UMD was no exception. It was on the UMD fans to actually show up and buy the tickets which they didn't. Similar sized schools have had no problem selling their expansions and paying off debt. UMD fans love to blame Debbie for expanding the stadium but seem to forget how much they were clamoring for it a few years earlier. UMD averaged 36k fans at their Home games last year. That is really telling for a school that has 37k students enrolled.
2. UMD also wanted the Comcast center built as well. This is another huge expenditure that their fans continue not to support. Attendance was down again this year at their home basketball games. Again, their fans arent showing up to support their team.
3. UMD likes to think of themselves as a public ivy and is proud to be competitive in lots of Olympic sports. This is another area that their fans clamored to be competitive in and spend money. These of course are supported by football and basketball which their fans continue not to support. Hard to pay for these sports when there is no money coming in from FB or BB.
4. The FB coach fiasco had nothing to do with Debbie. KA fired Freidgen, he let Franklin leave, and he hired a terrible replacement for a lot of money. Yet their fans continue to blame Debbie for something she had nothing to do with.

Debbie has been at State for 3 years now, in that time, she has managed to generate a budget surplus every year for our athletic dept. We have high debt levels at State as well for the CF upgrades we built as well. The MAIN reason why we are healthy and they aren't is that our fans continue to show up and pay for the upgrade that we asked for. UMD is a big school with similar size alumni base. Their fans should look to themselves as to why they are in such a big budget deficit.

Bingo. But despite all this info it's still Debbie's fault. Of course I'm sure the MD faithful can explain this post away...

ibl5srnM38qfiE.gif

People who slam our leadership forget little things like how Wake with 4k students has pretty much completely remodeled our stadium. (I think all of boxes were sold before Deacon Tower was finished) We now have our own arena that we got for 8 mil. And we are basically breaking even on our athletic budget. That is a good job in my opinion.

People who slam our leadership forget little things like how Wake with 4k students has pretty much completely remodeled our stadium. (I think all of boxes were sold before Deacon Tower was finished) We now have our own arena that we got for 8 mil. And we are basically breaking even on our athletic budget. That is a good job in my opinion.

Nobody is forgetting anything. Our athletics program is in the toilet right now. The Football renovations never happen if Grobe doesn't win games and excite the donors 7 years ago. The ACC subsidizes our athletix program, Wellman doesn't deserve credit for a balanced budget.

Wellman has done a better job of keeping his finger in the dam than Yow did once the on-field results started declining, but this is not a chicken vs egg debate - competitive teams have to be the first priority. Wellman is too comfortable and surrounded by groupthink, to where he thinks financial success is more important.

Wellman has done a better job of keeping his finger in the dam than Yow did once the on-field results started declining, but this is not a chicken vs egg debate - competitive teams have to be the first priority. Wellman is too comfortable and surrounded by groupthink, to where he thinks financial success is more important.

I'm guessing the increases in TV money had something to do with that.

Back