• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maryland athletics continues to struggle financially, despite planned move to Big Ten

The fact that Maryland's own commission doesnt think they can compete in the Big 10 tells me the school didnt think the move all the way through.

The fact that Maryland's own commission doesnt think they can compete in the Big 10 tells me the school didnt think the move all the way through.

Of course they didn't. It was a knee-jerk reaction to a self-inflected wound.

His comeback to an issue caused by fans not showing up is a video of a sold out football game that NCSU beat undefeated FSU in a great game? Everyone knows that Pack fans include a bunch of rednecks, nothing in that .gif is really a surprise is it?

Should have posted this:

http://washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-...oston-college/2011/10/31/gIQAxuaGZM_blog.html

It was 34 degrees that day with a nasty rain, sleet, and snow mix to watch two shitty teams play a horrendously played game. Our crew hung out and tailgated under some canopies but then went home and watched on tv as well. Hell no I wasn't going to that game.

From the blog: Now, I sure as heck wouldn’t have sat in that weather on Saturday for LSU-Alabama, much less Maryland-Boston College

Because of low spending per athlete? That's the only thing I see hinted at in Liz Clarke's article, and she has an agenda against UMD athletics anyways. I have a hard time believing you read the entire 21 pages. I haven't yet either, but I eventually will - its not going anywhere. We were at the bottom of the ACC too in expenses per athlete too and did just fine. Just some pessimistic stuff from a bunch of academics IMO. But yes, improvements do need to be made and it sounds like some are on the way of happening.

Yow might be a very good AD. Don't know. But the thing I don't like about her is the high drama. Gary Williams and her had and continue to have a very public feud and I put 90% of that on Yow.

Wellman had a similar situation with odom and he kept his trap shut before and after he fired odom or let him walk. Yow can't keep her mouth shut and her ego to herself. She fucked up the ncstate basketball coaching hire chittering and chattering about this and that before having to settle for gottfried. Though that hire has more than worked out (until he deep balls a coed or gets caught w recruiting violations), it doesn't change how that hire went down which bordered on the unprofessional.

As one of the few women at her position I get that she is under extra pressure - I just wish she was a bit more staid and confident to handle it better. It certainly doesn't help that her previous employer is borderline bankrupt. Too simplistic to blame the fans. The Gary Williams thing was unnecessarily ugly

Last edited:
Yow may end up being a good AD for State. Her edge/ego will likely be helpful in that environment. Their fan base seems to need that. However, it is strange to see state fans so feverishly defend her time at Maryland. She clearly made significant mistakes during her time in College Park. She wasn't at State then, why do you care?

Yow may end up being a good AD for State. Her edge/ego will likely be helpful in that environment. Their fan base seems to need that. However, it is strange to see state fans so feverishly defend her time at Maryland. She clearly made significant mistakes during her time in College Park. She wasn't at State then, why do you care?

I think there is a sentimentality with Yow because of her sister's impact at State.

Good points, bone. Some of that has to do with working at Maryland and State where it's harder to avoid the media and fans.

Because the UMD fans seem hell bent on blaming all of their problems on Yow. She is our AD now and so far has done a commendable job (I believe it will take 5-7 years before we really see how well she has done.). People tend to protect their own when they like what that person is doing. UMD fans want the world to know that she is the root of all their problems when they themselves shoulder most of the blame.

Since you brought it up, what mistakes do you think she made.

Not when Yow was there.

Everybody in the ACC whether its Maryland or Duke has got the same ACC money every year.

Again, UMD's football attendance is on par with Wake, Duke and BC. Those schools have a much smaller alumni base and aren't bleeding money. Why is it that a school that has one of the largest enrollments and alumni bases in the ACC cant get more than 36k to watch their FB games. Getting up to 50-55k at their games (where they should be) would go a loooong way to plugging their financial hole.

I haven't seen a nice zipped up an clean coaching hire though the Doeren hire was very close and obviously much better than the Gottfried hire. She certainly figured out some things there. That said, I'm not going to rewatch and double back and check, but I seem to recall watching part of the Doeren hire and wishing that Yow would stop gloating. She did everything real well up to that press conference and she said a few things she shouldn't have said. I can't remember whether I thought she was putting unncessary pressure on Doeren to produce right away or whether is was some unnecessary swipes at O'Brien

Everybody in the ACC whether its Maryland or Duke has got the same ACC money every year.

Again, UMD's football attendance is on par with Wake, Duke and BC. Those schools have a much smaller alumni base and aren't bleeding money. Why is it that a school that has one of the largest enrollments and alumni bases in the ACC cant get more than 36k to watch their FB games. Getting up to 50-55k at their games (where they should be) would go a loooong way to plugging their financial hole.

Wellman has been in the current deal longer than Yow was when she was at Maryland.

I didn't follow much of what Yow did at UMD, but the Gottfried hiring process was horrendous.

I didn't follow much of what Yow did at UMD, but the Gottfried hiring process was horrendous.

I think your thinking of the Lowe hiring process that Fowl up did. Gottfried process was pretty smooth.

I think your thinking of the Lowe hiring process that Fowl up did. Gottfried process was pretty smooth.

No, it wasn't. She could have sold Gottfried as her first or second or third choice if she hadn't opened her trap at every turn.

First, she announced her intent on getting Shaka. Then I believe after VCU gave Smart a raise, she said she'd be happy with Gregg Marshall. Then, Wichita State gave him a raise and he stayed. And then Sean Miller turned her down. All those could have been kept under the lid, but they weren't. Two of them were absolutely her fault, not sure about Miller.

Additionally, here is her additional quote after the heat was turned up several weeks into the basketball coaching search:

“You guys, come on, I don’t have a reputation across all men’s basketball of being difficult to work with. I have a reputation of not getting along with Gary Williams, who has tried to sabotage the search. Come on. We all know that, OK? So, whatever,” Yow told reporters Tuesday.
Meanwhile, Williams fired back at Yow’s accusations, insisting he has no interest in NC State’s transactions.
Williams even indirectly accused Yow of being untruthful.
“Anyone who says I’ve had contact with a prospective coach or athletic director regarding this search isn’t being truthful,” Williams said in a statement Wednesday.
The N.C State hiring process for the recent opening was only one of many issues Yow and Williams disputed over the years, making it one of the most controversial storylines in college athletics.

That too me is really embarrassing and reckless and stupid

Last edited:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...cility-20130813,0,6186027.story#ixzz2bx4K8kwn

I guess this will be Debbies fault too. You know, building facilities that Maryland doesn't need....

did you seriously just say that an indoor practice facility for football isn't needed in this day and age? Plus that would replace the current varsity team house as well for most of the outdoor sports which is seriously outdated.

Besides, its private funds being raised anyway for one specific purpose.

No, it wasn't. She could have sold Gottfried as her first or second or third choice if she hadn't opened her trap at every turn.

Again, I think your thinking of Fowlup who did in fact open his mouth at every turn. Other than her letter the night before hiring Gottfried, she made no statements about a coach, none!

did you seriously just say that an indoor practice facility for football isn't needed in this day and age? Plus that would replace the current varsity team house as well for most of the outdoor sports which is seriously outdated.

Besides, its private funds being raised anyway for one specific purpose.

You can argue that it is however one of the things that Maryland fans like to knock on Debbie for is building too much (expanding Byrd, building the Comcast center) They are now going to spend $50-80 mill on a indoor practice facility that they don't have and are already in debt (could be more in debt if they pay the ACC $52 mill). Is that really the smartest move?

By the way, State announced they are building their indoor practice facility for $15 mill. Why is UMD's going to cost $50-80 mill?

Again, I think your thinking of Fowlup who did in fact open his mouth at every turn. Other than her letter the night before hiring Gottfried, she made no statements about a coach, none!

Re-read my edit above.

It cost more to make a BIG TEN practice facility.

Back