• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maryland athletics continues to struggle financially, despite planned move to Big Ten

I haven't seen a nice zipped up an clean coaching hire though the Doeren hire was very close and obviously much better than the Gottfried hire. She certainly figured out some things there. That said, I'm not going to rewatch and double back and check, but I seem to recall watching part of the Doeren hire and wishing that Yow would stop gloating. She did everything real well up to that press conference and she said a few things she shouldn't have said. I can't remember whether I thought she was putting unncessary pressure on Doeren to produce right away or whether is was some unnecessary swipes at O'Brien

Among the dumbest things argued on these boards is the need to have a "professional" hire. Really, who cares - just get a good coach. I don't care if people laugh at us for putting names out there or being turned down or any number of things. It's completely meaningless. Just end up with a good coach - that's all that matters when making a hire........or you can keep things quiet "professional" and hire a [Redacted]. The way you get there doesn't matter (I couldn't care less what another fan base says about our search and I think it's stupid when when we criticize, make fun of, another school for how they conducted their search). All that matters is the hire. In our case, that has truly made us a laughingstock and that truly does matter to me.

Doesn't matter, got paid...

BTaqOr6CIAApxG2.jpg

BTaq69PIgAApNhj.jpg

BTarJDBIgAAgJYH.jpg

BTarZ-mIMAAmN1s.jpg

Lol at those donks getting their reflection in the glare from those pictures.

I assume those buildings are paid for, right?

Lol at those donks getting their reflection in the glare from those pictures.

I assume those buildings are paid for, right?

@insidemdsports 24m
On the topic, I've heard potential Under Armour commitment in #Terps new indoor football facility could end up in the $30 million range.

@insidemdsports 24m
On the topic, I've heard potential Under Armour commitment in #Terps new indoor football facility could end up in the $30 million range.

Well if there is anything solid in terms of revenue, it's potential commitments report by the UMD athletic department.

So an indoor practice facility helps you when? Is Byrd Stadium a dome? And I don't know of any BIG 10 schools who play indoors. I guess they look nice. Only makes your players soft. They better get used to playing in the Big House when its snowing and 10 degrees.

@insidemdsports 24m

How much of that goes to the operating costs of the building?

So an indoor practice facility helps you when? Is Byrd Stadium a dome? And I don't know of any BIG 10 schools who play indoors. I guess they look nice. Only makes your players soft. They better get used to playing in the Big House when its snowing and 10 degrees.

It's not like an indoor practice facility helped Oregon in terms of recruiting or anything!

(Also, note the two outdoor practice fields connected to the building.)

So ... I guess the punter is going to have to practice outdoors separate from the team.

How much of that goes to the operating costs of the building?

Well, based on the track record of the millions of dollars Under Armour put into Maryland football at this juncture, I doubt their going to build it and then go away... no?

Since they will be new they should be able to get a pretty good price on them at the bankruptcy liquidation auction.

@insidemdsports 24m

So as we all suspected you moved to the B14 in order to appease UA and get their money. At least y'all are willing to admit it now.

UnderArmour has really hurt their brand with the full-on Maryland thing. Oregon is soooo much sexier. Half of it are the gawdawful football uniforms. They've been so bad and coupled with that 2-10 record, it just made it worse. It's like Maryland hired Lady gaga as their designer or something.

Poor, poor Metrodome.

Now that Maryland is in the Big 10 they can finally get all that Under Armour money....oh wait, those two things are unrelated.

Back