• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maryland Takes Ball and Goes Home...

So, in more important news, ACC Basketball! UNC, Duke, Syracuse, UConn, Notre Dame, Pitt, NC State.

I really wish we could get Georgetown. I know they don't play Football, but otherwise they would be a perfect addition.

They're a good addition anyway. Add them and Louisville/UConn. Keeps divisions balanced at 7/7. Keep the DC market.

Alternatively, add Nova and Louisville/UConn. Nova will probably be FBS in about 5 years. By that time, we'll have a better idea of how long ND will be able to hold out. 16 in Basketball, 14 in football, and pick up the Philly market.

What was the game where the MD player's foot was clearly on the line but they gave him three points and robbed us of a big win?

The only thing dumber than the Maryland fans and their $40 million/we don't have to pay the buy-out posts are the Wake fans with their doom-and-gloom predictions for how this will turn out for Maryland. Get over yourselves; you sound like a bunch of teenage girls who couldn't get a dance with the starting quarterback. Maryland's a (fairly) large state school going to a conference filled with large state schools that also happens to be the second-strongest, and one of only 3 truly stable, conference in the country. They get a huge payday while they're at it, and have plenty of B1G ties in their administration. Will I hate to see them go? Yes. Does it suck for the ACC? Absolutely. But does it suck for Maryland? No way in hell.

Did Pitt/WVU/Syracuse get stuck paying all their buy-out when they jumped ships?

Also, re: Big Ten Network, the BTN can now charge $0.36 per subscriber rather than the $0.12 they currently charge in DC/Baltimore. If Big Ten adds Rutgers/GTech, it is the same with NYC/Atlanta.

MD should have no right to negotiate it. The sole reason to get a majority of schools to agree to vote for such a high fee is precisely to prevent the minority who voted against it from leaving.

I'm assuming this is obvious but people keep citing their 'no' vote as their leverage for negotiation.

I hope you're right. I want them to have to pay the full amount. I think they're going to look back in a few years and see that all these pie in the sky predictions about how much money this would generate were bogus. They're going to regret it.

Funny listening to sports talk radio here in DC. Why does no one understand the DC market is not a Maryland market? No one cares about Maryland here except for alums. Didn't MD just have a game not even broadcast on tv (MD-BC I think) in the DC area?

Also, people are actually using the argument of they might as well play in a better football conference where they play big programs like OSU and Michigan than play Duke? You would rather lose by 40 points to the stars of tomorrow than win a game with no one in the stands? Maybe that question would be given more split responses than I would think, but what a terrible way to go forward. Congratulations - you've just become a terrible NBA team that markets the Heat and OKC more than your own team.

And it's hilarious to listen to the Junks talk about how they'll miss the "rivalry" between MD/Duke and MD/Carolina. What a one-sided traditional rivalry that must be. BTW, Duke and Carolina aren't scheduling you non-conference in basketball. Keep taking calls about how people are looking forward to that PSU/MD rivalry (that's competitive) or talking about how they went to Michigan or Nebraska and can't wait to see their teams play close.

If it's a good financial move because you've fucked yourself and have no fans, fine. But don't try to justify it in any other way.

Pitt just played Oakland on Saturday night. The game was on ESPN3 and not televised locally. Does that mean Pitt is not in the Pittsburgh market?

Have to think the Big 10 has its eyes on ND and Missouri now, to create 16. ND would have no qualms jumping from its ACC half-deal and the Big 10 makes the most sense for football.

Really concerned about what this means for the ACC and college sports. The future looks like just a cluster of giant conferences based on football money alone. Most likely, the ACC will become (or remain) what the Big East was: a basketball-centric conference with bad football teams. Hopefully we hang onto FSU, Clemson, and VT, but one has to think those schools will jump at the first chance to one of the football superconferences now that neither geography nor history matters whatsoever.

But again, the ACC started this.

ND had an open invite to the Big Ten for years. They don't want it, for many reasons. They want ties to the East Coast that the Big Ten simply can't offer. If ND is forced into a conference, it won't be the Big 10. It's very likely to be the ACC.

When the ACC landed ND, they secured their flank against this kind of loss. Losing MD is sad, but not all that significant if you plug UCONN into that gap.

Pitt just played Oakland on Saturday night. The game was on ESPN3 and not televised locally. Does that mean Pitt is not in the Pittsburgh market?

No it just shows where college basketball stands in the grand scheme of things.

So this has been voted on and passed by all of the people who need to vote on it and pass it? Given the state of today's journalism, I think I will hold off for a few hours, or maybe a couple of days, before I actually buy this.

I'm almost done with my tirade, but I see many posts on WaPo how UMD will be a great fit in B1G. Really don't get it.

I've been around PSU for a long time (why I keep using the comparison) and PSU doesn't even feel fully accepted as a B1G (14) member despite having good football history, large enrollment, large alumni base, and being in the middle of a "midwestern-ish" state.

The Terps will be rudely awakened in 2014 when their stadium is invaded.

Over/under on number of hours before MD starts bitching about the B1G Tournament coming to DC?

What was the game where the MD player's foot was clearly on the line but they gave him three points and robbed us of a big win?

Leron Profit

Beat the Duncan Deacs. We were poised to move to Number One in the polls, but they counted his three despite it coming a full second after the horn. No replay back then. On replay, it was painfully obvious that the shot was late. CeCe Harrison was the player for State who's foot was on the line for a three that robbed us of another win that same year. We would've moved to number one then as well. Cursed.

Last edited:
Until ACC football is not a shit show, the ACC will be at risk. Clemson and Florida St. have made strides this year, but Va Tech is heading the wrong direction, Miami can't get out of it's own way and the rest of the conference sucks. It's fine to have a Wake and Duke at the bottom of the league if we have some middle of the pack programs in the top 25.

Did Pitt/WVU/Syracuse get stuck paying all their buy-out when they jumped ships?

Also, re: Big Ten Network, the BTN can now charge $0.36 per subscriber rather than the $0.12 they currently charge in DC/Baltimore. If Big Ten adds Rutgers/GTech, it is the same with NYC/Atlanta.

Not sure why you quoted my post to ask that question, but Pitt and Cuse paid 150% of the buyout ($7.5 million on a $5 million buyout) in order to get out a year early. As best I can tell, WVU paid 400% of the buyout number, $20 million, although it was only 200% if that was after the Big East amped it up to $10 million.

Until ACC football is not a shit show, the ACC will be at risk. Clemson and Florida St. have made strides this year, but Va Tech is heading the wrong direction, Miami can't get out of it's own way and the rest of the conference sucks. It's fine to have a Wake and Duke at the bottom of the league if we have some middle of the pack programs in the top 25.

What is the conference supposed to do about it though? That's what I don't get.

You always have the law of diminishing returns as eventually this settles out. The "big" conferences will at some point realize that they are just dividing their money to more hands. One of the main reasons that the SEC doesn't really want to expand. They just get less money for each school.

Last edited:
Over/under on number of hours before MD starts bitching about the B1G Tournament coming to DC?

I bet if I look I could find posts saying this. They're convinced their the center of the universe. The ACC often catered to their nonsense. They're in for a rude awakening. They're going to be a very small fish in a big pond. They try to dictate to Ohio State fans about how things should be done and they're going to be laughed at.

at the end of the day md will still be in alaska as far as the rest of the big10 is concerned.

You always have the law of diminsioning returns as eventually this settles out. The "big" conferences will at some point realize that they are just dividing their money to more hands. One of the main reasons that the SEC doesn't really want to expand. They just get less money for each school.

They just recent expanded to 14. They will eventually go to 16.

Back