• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maryland Takes Ball and Goes Home...

I see MD as getting big checks, but I think their athletics will slide. Fan apathy regarding painfully meaningless sports match-ups is going to translate to sports program apathy, IMO.

Jarred Smith ‏@jsmith1633
U of Cincinnati should pull a Notre Dame and go independent if they don't get into to ACC.

My favorite opinion so far.

The exit fee clause will not be struck down by any court, because each school derives a specific and massive benefit from its existence (including MD right up to the moment it quit the conference). This is not a mere penalty, it's a mutually agreed-upon security benefit. That argument does not hold water.

I see MD as getting big checks, but I think their athletics will slide. Fan apathy regarding painfully meaningless sports match-ups is going to translate to sports program apathy, IMO.

Trust us. We're subject matter experts.

From the average MD fans perspective I'm pretty sure they made the wrong move. Most of them don't seem to support this. For the message board MD fans, the delusional lunatics who are obsessed with things like how Greensboro is "half the problem", the picture is a bit more mixed. A lot of them have fallen for the extremely rosy projections hook, line, and sinker. They have no problem with how this was handled and are absolutely convinced it's a great deal for MD, with little to no downside. We'll see. MD is already battling fan disinterest. I think this will only make that worse.

The only reason it's the right move is because of the money. It's just like taking a job for 50% more money that you know you won't like. Some people want the money, and deal with the consequences, others care more about their quality of life. MD will get more money across the board for their athletic program and the university. But it will take years for them to be accepted as a B10 member, and I argue they will never feel home.

I put myself in a MD fan's shoes. I would hate this. Two schools out of 14 drivable on a Saturday morning, versus half of the teams for the ACC. Not to mention all of the athletes for all sports, cheerleaders, band members who will have to fly everywhere, if they are even allowed to go. The negatives and logistics of everything else doesn't matter in the face of money. If I was a fan, I would be putting on the brave face as well, but would know that it is all a facade.

Most of my MD friends are talking themselves into the move, for all the fiscal reasons laid out here, but have zero interest in Bing 10 match-ups. Which begs the question.

The only reason it's the right move is because of the money. It's just like taking a job for 50% more money that you know you won't like. Some people want the money, and deal with the consequences, others care more about their quality of life. MD will get more money across the board for their athletic program and the university. But it will take years for them to be accepted as a B10 member, and I argue they will never feel home.

I put myself in a MD fan's shoes. I would hate this. Two schools out of 14 drivable on a Saturday morning, versus half of the teams for the ACC. Not to mention all of the athletes for all sports, cheerleaders, band members who will have to fly everywhere, if they are even allowed to go. The negatives and logistics of everything else doesn't matter in the face of money. If I was a fan, I would be putting on the brave face as well, but would know that it is all a facade.

LOL @ driving to any school except maybe Virginia on a Saturday morning for a football game.

And we currently fly to every school except Virginia I believe.

Most of my MD friends are talking themselves into the move, for all the fiscal reasons laid out here, but have zero interest in Bing 10 match-ups. Which begs the question.

then they are dumb. Ohio State and Penn State will be amazing and I have a special fondness for the Rutgers matchups in 2007 and 2009. I know that sounds weird, but its true for me at least.

Trips to Madison, Nebraska fans and their RVs, Assembly Hall (a bunch of people I know went out for the ACC-Big Ten Challenge in 2009 and loved the town)....there's plenty to look forward to.

LOL @ driving to any school except maybe Virginia on a Saturday morning for a football game.

No, the Md buses are used for all NC trips as well. I see them around campus often

Places like West Lafayette, Madison, Lincoln, Iowa City, Bloomington, etc. are not exactly the kind of places you get to in one flight either. You either have connecting flights or long drives from the nearest major airport. Major pain in the ass. I can't imagine too many students will go to any of those games.

Places like West Lafayette, Madison, Lincoln, Iowa City, Bloomington, etc. are not exactly the kind of places you get to in one flight either. You either have connecting flights or long drives from the nearest major airport. Major pain in the ass. I can't imagine too many students will go to any of those games.

Don't forget State College. You either fly into Pittsburgh, Harrisburg (expensive), or Philly.

Don't forget State College. You either fly into Pittsburgh, Harrisburg (expensive), or Philly.

Not a huge difference but you can fly into State College from Dulles (and I believe Detroit), but alas still the connecting flight or longer drive question?

Since you are selectively answering questions, can you please explain why you need to win over Wake fans to your plight? I really don't understand, help me.

And to your point. You are within a 5-6 hour drive of six ACC schools. Your have 12 of 14 Big 10 schools at least 7 hours away at a minimum. Again, denial. Notice you didn't mention the non-revenue sports, cheerleaders, band, etc. They are students too, you know.

But hey, if you fuckin' love the B10, have at it, enjoy it, just as we will enjoy laughing at your mediocrity. I think you will compete in women's basketball, if that's any consolation.

The exit fee clause will not be struck down by any court, because each school derives a specific and massive benefit from its existence (including MD right up to the moment it quit the conference). This is not a mere penalty, it's a mutually agreed-upon security benefit. That argument does not hold water.

I've asked a few times before, and I'll ask it again. If Wake, BC, Duke, and some of the other schools without much of a choice beyond the ACC decided they wanted to band together to pass a $1 billion exit fee to prevent a school from leaving, do you think that penalty would be enforceable? Does that penalty not still meet all of the criteria you just talked about?

Not a huge difference but you can fly into State College from Dulles (and I believe Detroit), but alas still the connecting flight or longer drive question?

Yes, if you want to pay $500+ for a flight.

I've asked a few times before, and I'll ask it again. If Wake, BC, Duke, and some of the other schools without much of a choice beyond the ACC decided they wanted to band together to pass a $1 billion exit fee to prevent a school from leaving, do you think that penalty would be enforceable? Does that penalty not still meet all of the criteria you just talked about?

Was it passed by a 10-2 vote with no schools leaving immediately following the vote?

Back