• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mass Gov Admits: It's a Christmas Tree

RaleighDevil

Reaction score
I thought it was appropriate to post this along with the decision by Hardee's not to play any Christmas music referencing You-Know-Who.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1387918

Gov. Deval Patrick capitulated over the controversy surrounding today’s tree lighting ceremony in the State House agreeing it’s not a “holiday tree” but a Christmas tree.

Talking to reporters this afternoon in his office — adorned with poinsettias, ivy and a wreath — Patrick embraced the Dec. 25 holiday.

“It’s a Christmas tree. I’ve always called it a Christmas tree. That’s what it is,” said Patrick. When asked why the invitations referred to a “Holiday Tree,” Patrick replied: “Talk to the people that sent the invitations out.” Patrick did not respond when a Herald reporter pointed out the invitations came from his office.

Yesterday, Patrick was following where Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee led — into the deep, dark woods of political correctness, sending out invitations to today’s “holiday tree” lighting ceremony, even as he issued invites to a Hanukkah menorah lighting next week. ...

An email from the governor’s office with invitations to both December events went out earlier this month with no reference to Christmas.

“On Monday, December 12th Governor Patrick will participate in the annual Holiday Tree lighting ceremony at 5:00 p.m. and on Tuesday, December 20th he will participate in the traditional lighting of the menorah at 4:15 p.m.,” wrote Patrick’s assistant director of government affairs in an email blast to an undisclosed list with invitation attachments to both events.

The invitations refer to a holiday tree lighting and the lighting of the Hanukkah menorah, both in Nurses Hall inside the State House.

Patrick’s public schedule for today also uses the term “holiday tree.” A Patrick spokesman was not immediately available for comment last night. ...

The semantic dust-up comes nearly two weeks after Chafee insisted on referring to the 17-foot spruce in the Rhode Island State House as a “holiday tree,” arguing he was honoring Little Rhody’s history of religious diversity. The pronouncement drew protests from the Catholic Church and resulted in carolers crashing the tree lighting by singing “O Christmas Tree.”

Don't people have better things to worry about?

I would love for some city to put up a Festivus pole.

I was clearly wrong yesterday when I dared say that Muslims have it worse than Christians in this country. Sorry 2and2, I forgot about the War on Christmas (which is a pagan holiday at its roots).

I was clearly wrong yesterday when I dared say that Muslims have it worse than Christians in this country. Sorry 2and2, I forgot about the War on Christmas (which is a pagan holiday at its roots).

Hey Shoo, do the characters in your gay Muslim show sit around and whine about how white people always refer to lighted decoracted conifers as "Christmas trees"? I would think that they'd have bigger things to worry about.

No one said Christians had it worse. What a whiner. Muslims clearly have it worse in the US.

No, we usually discuss more important problems, like creepy old men coming on to underage goth chicks.

amazing what stupid shit people bitch about

To whom are you referring when you ask the question: Don't these people have something better to worry about? Is it the governor's office or is it the critics?

Damnit, how are we ever going to win the war against Christmas if shit like this keeps happening.

To whom are you referring when you ask the question: Don't these people have something better to worry about? Is it the governor's office or is it the critics?

in no particular order - the governor's office, the critics and you

Perhaps you can answer the question of why it was necessary to rename something that has been called a certain name for who knows how long. I can figure out the correct response.

Segments of the liberal community are excellent at being offended or upset on behalf of those who are neither but who in the eyes of aforementioned liberals ought to be.

Perhaps you can answer the question of why it was necessary to rename something that has been called a certain name for who knows how long. I can figure out the correct response.

Segments of the liberal community are excellent at being offended or upset on behalf of those who are neither but who in the eyes of aforementioned liberals ought to be.

And dipshits like you worry about the "War on Christmas." Tom-ay-to, tom-ah-to.

So when you aren't being persecuted you invent persecution? Well played.

here's my answer - i don't give a shit, and there are more important things to worry about right now.

perhaps you can answer the question of why you do.

Back