• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 12: ACC Opener - Hokies Visit The Joel - Saturday 2pm - ESPN2

Pilchard

Reaction score
With an 8-3 OOC slate behind our Deacs, WF begins ACC play (20 conference games in a row through March 9) this Saturday against the VT Hokies, and the Gobblers are previewed below:

This season -- 9-3 (1-0) #49: To date, the Hokies sit 2-3 against top 100 teams: beating #12 Iowa State and #72 Boise State, and losing to #67 S. Carolina, #11 FAU (by 34) and #10 Auburn (by 27). The blowout to Auburn is the only road game for VT so far. Saturday's game starts a run of games 6 straight WF games where the projected margin is 4 points or less; the VT game is particularly important as the Hokies are likely one of the teams WF will be battling against for an NCAAT bid (won't be easy for ACC teams to get bids after UNC, Duke and Clemson), and head to head can be deciding factor (although not always, see Clemson v. NC State last season). Like WF, VT struggled in November, but both the Deacs and Hokies are unbeaten in December. Most recently, VT shutdown American, winning 77-55 on December 21st; both teams will be rested for Saturday's tilt. Here is the analytical matchup:

VT Offense ---- WF Defense

Eff: 111 #62 ---- 101 #105
E FG% 52% #117 ---- 47% #70
3 PT% 34% #165 ---- 32% #117
2 PT% 53% #98 ---- 47% #79
TO% 16% #99 ---- 18% #149

WF Offense ---- VT Defense
Eff: 114 #32 ---- 98 #53
E FG% 56% #29 ---- 48% #115
3 PT% 37% #47 ---- 32% #112
2 PT% 55% #39 ---- 48% #123
TO% 15% #56 ---- 20% #83

Additionally, both are elite FT shooting teams (VT 79% #6; WF 78.5% #11). VT spreads its minutes (#41 in bench minutes); WF does not (#324 in bench minutes). WF is slightly taller; VT has more experience.

The roster:

Last time out VT PG Luke Pedulla sat out with a ankle/foot injury which has bothered him for a month as he has been in and out of the lineup.
Expect Pedulla to start, but in his place, VT inserted frosh Brandon Reichsteiner as PG. While not intending to sidetrack the preview, feel compelled to advise that Reichsteiner's father is pro wrestler Scott Steiner a member of perhaps the greatest tag team in professional wrestling history -- the Steiner Brothers:
So look for this guy at the Joel
1703694390510.jpeg

Against AU, the Hokies started:

6-0 Fr. Brandon Rechsteiner: 2nd in assists; 11 assists and 0 TOs against AU last time out; 31% from three; 4 star recruit
6-3 Sr. Hunter Cattoor: 14 ppg; elite three point shooter; 38% from three this season, which is the lowest of any of his 5 VT seasons; led the ACC in 3 PT% last season; will finish his career as #1 in career three pointers made for VT
6-7 Sr. Mekhi Long: Rhode Island and ODU transfer; 0 for 7 from three on the season (36% last year); yet to get to double figures in any game
6-7 Sr. Tyler Nickel: UNC transfer: 2022 4 star; buried on the UNC bench as a frosh; started the last 5 games; 35% from three; 114 O rating;
6-10 Sr. Lynn Kidd: Perhaps, the most improved player in the ACC this year; offered by WF out of HS; started at Clemson; was a minor bench piece scored in double figures 3 times in 51 games heading into the season; leads VT in scoring (17 ppg) and boards (8 rpg); 133 O rating; last time out 31 points (14 for 15 FGs); doesn't shoot threes

Bench:

6-1 Jr. Sean Pedulla: three year starter; 15 ppg in 2023; 37% career three point shooter; leads team in assists; injured this season; has been limited in recent games
6-4 So. MJ Collins: out for two games with an injury; back for last game (12 points); 21% from three; 16 for 16 from the line on the season
6-9 Sr. Robbie Beran: NW transfer - 4 year starter; leads team in blocks; offense has regressed for VT; 91 O rating; 22% from three (35% for career)

The Projection:

KP: WF 74 VT 71
Torvik: WF 72 VT 71

Both these teams should improve through the balance of the season.

WF is a youngish team that is working Reid into the lineup, and hopefully Damari is coming. VT has had injury issues with Collins and Pedulla missing games. With Kidd's break through, VT could do damage this year with a healthy Pedulla, Cattoor and Collins. Further, Nickel and Beran are still figuring things out with their new team, and should play better as the year goes on. If the total is in the low 140s and Pedulla is playing, would lean over as the offense for both teams has the edge on the opposing defense, and both teams have high ceiling offenses. That said, coaches often slow the pace in conference play; so, only a mild lean to the over. The game handicap comes down to Pedulla's status. If he is playing and 100% VT is solid everywhere, and the Hokies have an edge upfront with the suddenly unstoppable Lynn Kidd; Reid's going to need to stay out of foul trouble. If Pedulla is out or limited, WF should overwhelm the freshman PG in his first ACC road game. Would watch for the twitter updates on Gameday to get a read on Pedulla's status. Every conference game is big for the Deacs, given our three OOC losses, but this game is particularly huge for each team's NCAAT hopes. If both teams are healthy (absent Monsanto), this could be a one possession game. If Pedulla is out, WF wins.

Wonder if Ric Flair is available to keep the Steiner brothers in check...

7fe2a-1512004090-800.jpg

Last edited:
The word seemed to be that this would be the game for which Monsanto could potentially be available. I wonder how it affected the players’ mindset when they realized it wasn’t happening. I’m sure the possibility was dispelled early enough that they adjusted, since they seem him in practice anyway. Just can’t wait till he makes his Willis Reed appearance.

Either way, they’re all ballers and ready to roll. PFred 4/6 incoming…

Let’s send this Big East football team packing

Whatever happened to that 247 post about Carr being bad at the 4?
Is that really a thing? He's pretty clearly been a huge beneficiary of having Reid in there battling with the opponent's best/biggest dude.

From the write-up, it looks to me like the defensive keys for Wake are:
Get the ball out of Reichsteiner's hands early and often.
Reid needs to keep Kidd from going off with a new career high.
Cattoor has to be kept from finding his rhythm from three.

Is that really a thing? He's pretty clearly been a huge beneficiary of having Reid in there battling with the opponent's best/biggest dude.
It was a thing. I never saw the post but I thought whatever resulted in its conclusion involved a pretty flawed analysis. Apparently something about how Carr had a higher shooting percentage near the hoop.

Carr moving to the 4 with Reid being down low was clearly the correct move.

last year, Catoor was out with an injury when WF beat VT on New Year's Eve. Pedulla had 18 points and 7 assists on 6-18 shooting. He also earned a technical foul by yelling "You can't fucking guard me!" at the WF bench, to which Forbes responded in kind, earning his own T.

So, if Pedulla plays, will be interesting to hear how much he talks

We’re a better team than last year and Boopie and Hunter let their play do the talking. I also think Cam is gonna be a problem.

last year, Catoor was out with an injury when WF beat VT on New Year's Eve. Pedulla had 18 points and 7 assists on 6-18 shooting. He also earned a technical foul by yelling "You can't fucking guard me!" at the WF bench, to which Forbes responded in kind, earning his own T.

So, if Pedulla plays, will be interesting to hear how much he talks
I love Forbes

Damn, I’ve been hating on the wrong guy. I thought Catoor was Pedulla. I fucking hate Pedulla. BTW, if anyone else has had the pleasure to sit on the court during ACC play, the refs really let fans talk copious amounts of shit to the rival players. If I get tossed on Saturday, though, it’s because I’m going to be living in Pedulla’s head rent free for 40 minutes.

Last edited:
Damn, I’ve been hating on the wrong guy. I thought Catoor was Pedulla. I fucking hate Pedulla. BTW, if anyone else has had the pleasure to sit on the court during ACC play, the refs really let fans talk copious amounts of shit to the rival players. If I get tossed on Saturday, though, it’s because I’m going to be living in Pedulla’s head rent free for 40 minutes of pure shit talking hell.
I'm here for it!

Concerned about this game coming off yet another long December layoff. The schedule this month has been stupid.

I feel good about getting this win at home. My bigger concern is when we hit the road in the ACC in January. Not sure I see the alpha dog on this team ,like Alondes , ( or Collins or Teague further back) that can lead and intimidate on the road.

I feel good about getting this win at home. My bigger concern is when we hit the road in the ACC in January. Not sure I see the alpha dog on this team ,like Alondes , ( or Collins or Teague further back) that can lead and intimidate on the road.
That’s a tale as old as time. All of our good teams take care of business at home. And gut out wins where they can on the road. Give me 9-1, 5-5 for 14-6 and we are dancing this year.

For reference:
09 went 7-1 at home, 4-4 on the road.

2017 was 6-3, 3-6 on the road

2022 was 13-7: 8-2, 5-5 on the road.

Even 2005 was 13-3: 8-0 and 5-3.

Back