• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 12: ACC Opener - Hokies Visit The Joel - Saturday 2pm - ESPN2

When you have a season like this one, the fact that you played some regional teams shouldn’t matter.

UNCW, Davidson, College of Charleston, UNCG, Wofford, and Furman are all actual regional games and would be significantly better games to play than NJIT and Delaware State, which are not regional games and are two of the worst teams in D1 basketball.

There are 362 teams in D1 college basketball. Wake Forest played 4 of its 11 non conference games against teams that KP considers to be rated as worse than 300th. Teams considered as the worst 62 teams in college basketball.

Forbes has no right to complain about non-conference strength of schedule hurting us in March, which it will. Winning against Utah in Charleston would have no impact on the fact that we scheduled the 4 teams I am talking about by choice.

I’ve been banging the drum, very loudly and repeatedly, that our non-conference schedule is a stupid self-inflicted wound that will hurt us. I agree 10000% that Forbes has no right to complain about that.

What Forbes talked about Saturday in his postgame presser was the Quad system and how it screwed his team in 2022. No Q1 credit for beating UNC at home or UVA on the road because on Selection Sunday, both teams fell right outside the respective arbitrary cutoffs. Those are legitimate complaints against what is a poor system.

I liked our game plan for the VT tilt. I'd like to see that approach again tomorrow night. Two games a week for the next couple months. Love it.

I’m not a stat-hating boomer or anything, but you lost me here.
If two teams are roughly evenly matched, why would it be predictive that Team A beat Team B in the first game that they played against each other?

If you flip a coin and it comes up heads, that isn’t predictive at all towards the next coin flip.

If VPI is truly better, I’ll take WF+4 for the home court adjustment

Don't like the PA guy at all.
I've done my sons high school baseball PA announcing for the last 2 years now and ever since, I really pay close attention to any PA guys/gals and how they do things. I went to the game against VTech Saturday and finally got to hear the new guy.

He has a completely different style than Jeffrey. I think we have all been so used to Jeffrey's deep calming voice and his style that it's going to take some time to get used to Joe Cristy. Different voice and different style. I don't love it but he's not bad.

Still not better than Jeffrey but I think that's just because since I've started watching Wake Football/Basketball, Jefferey was the guy and I thought he was very good. Guess it just depends on your taste.

I've done my sons high school baseball PA announcing for the last 2 years now and ever since, I really pay close attention to any PA guys/gals and how they do things. I went to the game against VTech Saturday and finally got to hear the new guy.

He has a completely different style than Jeffrey. I think we have all been so used to Jeffrey's deep calming voice and his style that it's going to take some time to get used to Joe Cristy. Different voice and different style. I don't love it but he's not bad.

Still not better than Jeffrey but I think that's just because since I've started watching Wake Football/Basketball, Jefferey was the guy and I thought he was very good. Guess it just depends on your taste.
New guy is more of an NBA feel. I also miss Jeffrey...He was the pinnacle PA guy. I'm sure it was by design to get more of an NBA style guy.

New guy is more of an NBA feel. I also miss Jeffrey...He was the pinnacle PA guy. I'm sure it was by design to get more of an NBA style guy.
Totally agree. It did feel more like the NBA which isn't totally a bad thing I guess for the kids.

My wife who doesn't notice these things and does not go to many games at all commented a couple times how annoying the PA guy was and I agreed. PA guy does not need to a part of the entertainment just give us some info from time to time.

He doesn’t need to scream every time anyone does anything. He’s bad.

We were up by 12 with less than 2 mins left in the first half when Cam did his hook shot lob to Carr for an easy layup. That play is a great example of just how much of an advantage Carr has become when guarded by a teams' second big man instead of their primary guy. We played solid defense, Boopie and Hunter hit some midrange jumpers as they do, and boom it's a 20 point halftime advantage.

Granted I only had one year of the old PA guy but I don't mind the new one. Seems pretty par for the course

I like the NBA vibe honestly, I also like that he says who assisted the basket. Not sure if that was done in the past, but I did notice it on Saturday.

We were up by 12 with less than 2 mins left in the first half when Cam did his hook shot lob to Carr for an easy layup. That play is a great example of just how much of an advantage Carr has become when guarded by a teams' second big man instead of their primary guy. We played solid defense, Boopie and Hunter hit some midrange jumpers as they do, and boom it's a 20 point halftime advantage.
This is a great point - every time he's gotten the ball at the rim lately it feels like somebody like 6'6 is guarding him and he can bully them. The Reid impact goes so far beyond just the box score.

Back