• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 14: WF @ Miami - Saturday 6 pm - ESPNU

Pilchard

Reaction score
The Deacs road-trip continues in South Florida as our Deacs face the Miami Hurricanes in Coral Gables to ring in the new year (January 1 tip).

2021-22 Canes: Miami currently sits at 10-3 (2-0) and #96. Due to COVID postponements, Miami will play its first 4 ACC games at home. The Canes already beat #38 Clemson by 5 in early December and last night, Miami used a late 18-2 run to beat NC State 91-83 (Miami shot 53% from 3 -- 10 for 19). Miami stumbled out of the gate to start the season, losing to #51 UCF, #103 Dayton and #17 Bama (by 32) before the end of November. At that point, the Canes' prospects for the season looked dim, but Miami went 6-0 in December with a win over #83 Penn State (on the road), in addition to its two ACC wins over Clemson and NC State. After hosting WF on Saturday, the U plays Cuse in Coral Gables, and then Miami finally plays a conference road game at Duke on January 8. Miami is the anti-L'ville as Miami has been strong offensively (#36), but has struggled defensively (#186). On offense, the veteran Canes don't turn the ball over (#12 in TO rate), while their guards excel at taking the ball to the basket as Miami shoots 53% from 2 (#71) and get to the line often (#57 in FTA/FGA). Defensively, Miami surrenders an effective FG rate of 53% (#284) as they give up generous shooting percentages from 2 (51% #233) and 3 (36% #293). Miami plays at a moderate tempo (#129), and has a short bench (#316 in bench minutes).

The Roster:

Starters against State:

G 5-11 Sr. Charlie Moore: DePaul transfer; leads team in steals and assists; only shooting 39% from the field; 33% from 3;
G 6-3 So. Isaiah Wong: 3rd year soph; 2nd leading scorer; takes it hard to the hoop (60% from 2) and 2nd on team in FTs; 29% from 3; double figures in 12 straight
G/F 6-5 Sr. Cam McGusty: Oklahoma transfer; leading scorer (19 ppg) and rebounder (6 ppg); scored 20 or more 6 times; 41% from 3
F 6-7 Jr. Jordan Miller: George Mason transfer; 4th year as a starter; 2nd in boards (5.8 ppg); 36% from 3; coming off the game of his life against NC State: 25 points 5 boards 2 blocks
C 6-11 Jr. Deng Gak: a zero on offense; his high game of the year is 2 points; NC State was his first start; played 16 minutes and grabbed 1 rebound

The bench:
C/F 6-9 Soph. Anthony Walker: 3rd year in the program; 5 ppg 3 rpg; scored 11 points against NC State; 25% from 3
G 6-1 Fr. Joseph Bensley: growing role for the Canes as he has 30 points on the season and 12 over the last two; 6 for 8 from 3 on the season
C 7-0 Sr. Rodney Miller: plays sparingly; 3 minutes against State; hasn't scored since November

Note: Sam Waardenburg a big (6-10) typically starts and who shoots 3s; didn't play last night.

The Projection: KP projects 77-76 Miami win in 71 possessions. Miami has shot 34% from 3 on the season, but hit 48% from behind the arc in its two ACC games. The Canes played their best offensive game of the year against the Pack last night (NC State defense is no bueno). Feel like some regression is coming on Saturday. Miami's bigs don't score, but the UM wings, Wong and McGusty, are both prolific scorers. Will need a strong defensive effort from Williams, LaRavia, Hildreth, Williamson and lots of help off Miami's bigs, who can't score. WF should exploit Miami inside as WF is among the best teams in the country at scoring inside (#12 in 2 point FG%), and Miami is one of the worst at defending the paint (#233 in 2 point FG %). Also, State lost to the Canes because Miami shot lights out, but State killed the Canes on the boards (+9 -- 18 offensive boards). WF is bigger than State and should control the missed shots on both ends. Guessing the Canes will be a short favorite. If so, like the Deacs to win and cover. Deacs will plays lots of close conference games. Need to win our fair share, starting on Saturday.

Last edited:
Deng will get 20 and have the game of his life, just because that's what happens to us.

Last year we played our first 3 ACC games on the road because of covid, and this year we are doing the same. It's almost like you'd be better off to get your team infected and not get a BS schedule.

This is an important game. Miami is 2-0 at home. This probably needs to be a dub to keep pace for the tourney.

Who else is going to be at the game tomorrow?

I’ll be somewhere behind the Wake bench. I’ll be on the lookout for you.

My son doesn’t want to go (for now) so I have an extra unless he changes his mind. And I’ll take you out for ice cream afterward too.

Last edited:
I’ll be somewhere behind the Wake bench. I’ll be on the lookout for you.

My son doesn’t want to go (for now) so I have an extra unless he changes his mind. And I’ll take you out for ice cream afterward too.

Make sure you only take DR to a small quaint ice cream shop with few empty seats. Oh and on UM’s campus too.

More Wake people here than I expected.

Just looked at the box score. Any reason man man didn’t start?

Back