• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 16: L'ville @ The KFC Yum Center: Saturday 3 pm - ACCN

Pilchard

Reaction score
Forced to truncate the L'ville report, but don't feel bad about that as everyone knows they are awful.

Here is the quick rundown:

L'ville is 2-13 (0-4) #265. The Cards are on their way to becoming the worst team in ACC History although they have shown some signs of life recently. Their Torvik rating from the start of the season is #323, but since December 15, they are #268, which is bad, but not SC State bad. Last time out, the Cards played their best game of the year in a 70-69 home loss to Cuse.

Analytics (these stats are from ACC games only and the rankings are only involve the 15 ACC teams):

Bad offense (#15 -- DFL in the ACC) 84 offensive efficiency rating:

In ACC games only, L'ville's offense is last in the following metrics:

TO% (26%)
2 PT% (42%)
FT% (62%)

The only two ACC offensive metrics that the Cards aren't awful:

3 PT% 35% (#6)
Offensive rebound% (#8)

Poor defense (#11 in the ACC) 106 defensive efficiency rating (actually L'ville is slightly ahead of WF in defense in ACC games; amongst ACC teams, WF is 14th, ahead of only defenseless ND... yikes).

L'ville' defensive metric ranks among ACC teams:

#6 in defensive TO rate
#7 in 2 PT FG% D (49%)
#7 in steal %
#10 in effective FG%
#13 in 3 PT FG% D (36%)

The Cards are very young #341 in D-1 experience, but they are big #10 in height. Somehow the coaching staff forgot to recruit guards; so, they commit a ton of TOs.

Roster:

In the 70-69 loss to Cuse, L'ville started:

6-3 El Ellis: only guard on the roster; played 40 minutes against Cuse; leads team in scoring, assists and minutes; last two games: 23 against KY and 20 against Cuse
6-5 Mike James: 19 points against Cuse; 37% from 3;
6-8 Karmari Lands: frosh; 23% from 3; first career start againt Cuse; 92% FT
6-8 Sydney Curry: strong; career high 28 at WF last year; 2nd in rebounding; doesn't shoot 3s
6-10 Brandon Huntley-Hatfield: 2nd leading scorer; leading rebounder; blocked shot leader; 93 O rating, which is sadly the best among Card starters

Bench:

6-9 Jae'Lyn Withers; typically starts; 37% from 3; slumping lately
6-8 JJ Traynor: 37% from 3; double figure once this year

Projection: KP projects 76-67 WF; Torvik 78-65. This Saturday, decent chance WF is a double digit road favorite in an ACC game. Can't remember when that last occurred.

The key to beating L'ville is forcing TOs. The Cards' coaching brain-trust decided build a roster with only forwards -- you know because "paint touches" are so important; the result of that policy is the worst TO % among Power V conference teams. WF is merely mediocre at forcing TOs, but Forbes knows L'ville's weakness and will ramp up the pressure. Definitely need to step on L'ville early and break their will. Cuse allowed L'ville to hang around, and Boeheim almost barfed up a win.

Don't have a strong lean in the game. L'ville is playing a little better, and WF is off of Duke-VT-UNC back to back to back; so, this could be a letdown spot. Then again, Forbes' teams usually run it up on bad teams and L'ville is bad. Will probably stay away; may lean under if the total creeps over 140 as L'ville has been slowing the pace lately. WF does have a decisive edge on the bench:

75VBIZOZKVCMTMUXVXMPR3AHRA.jpg

Let's win this one and move on.

TCOB and get the win. Louisville makes ill advised decisions on when to randomly guard ballhandlers off misses and/or on inbounds plays, doesn't get back with any regularity, and takes a ton of bad shots. We should be able to handle this one relatively easily, but it's a road conference game so let's not dick around.

What happened from last year? Did a bunch of players leave because of Mack? And then again, after Mack was canned?
A few things happened to L'ville:

• They sucked last year too. After starting 10-4 (4-0), Mack was canned and the Cards fell apart. They finished last year 3-15. So, over the last calendar year, L'ville is 5-28. Superbad.
  • While L'ville returns 4 players that started games last year, they lost all of their guards except for El Ellis. Two ran out of eligibility (Falkner and Locke) and another transferred to Seton Hall (Davis). For whatever reason, the current coaching staff didn't even land decent mid-major guards to stem the bleeding. So, the roster has some quality pieces, but they have a gaping hole in the backcourt.
  • L'ville hired Kenny Payne to coach. He is an alum and has had impressive jobs as an assistant (most recently in the NBA), but this is his first head gig, and he's guided by Mannning and Nolan Smith; so, you have a coach learning the ropes and look who he is relying on... enough said.

After last year's game, I figured Steve Forbes was praying Sydney Curry would end up in the transfer portal in the offseason.

I’ll continue to say this until proven otherwise…Louisville is a trash institution, with trash fans and trash leadership. I disrespect everything about them more than any other school. I dislike other schools and fanbases more, but there’s always at least one thing to respect about them. Not Louisville. Fuck them all straight to hell. Deacs by a million

The one saving grace for me was that they didn’t heckle me as I exited the football game this year. I left at the end of the 3rd quarter and they all just looked at me with a “Yeah I’d leave too. Wtf just happened?”look.

Let’s get a nice working margin and work Jao in if he is healthy enough to play. Seems like the best opportunity to do so.

Hope we win by a million. Besides giving Manning more evidence about how bad of a coach he is, I’d like BHH to get a nice taste of what he missed out on.
All of this + fuck Nolan Smith too!

What if someone drew a GIGANTIC cardinal and put a basketball court on it.

It’s legitimately stunning that a Louisville team can be so bad.

lol

Back