• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 17: WF plays the most under-performing program - Duke Wed. 7 pm ACCN

Pilchard

Reaction score
Our Deacs play 12-2 (2-1) Duke Blue Devils on Wednesday at the Joel.

Duke is the most over-exposed program in the sport. So, it's a waste of time to engage in a breakdown. The quick facts are as follows:

• KP projects a 78-73 Duke win in 72 possessions.
  • WF has a 34% chance of victory.
  • Duke has the #14 offense and the #23 defense and is rated #13 overall.
  • WF has the #51 offense and the #61 defense and #53 overall.
  • Would expect Davien to be back and think both teams will push the pace (WF and Duke are #2 and #3 in tempo among ACC teams).
  • Like the over if its 151 or less.

Also, Duke gets to line with more frequency than any other team in the nation. So, the reffs have bought into the hype as well.

When pondering Duke basketball, consider the following:

- In the last 6 seasons, Duke has landed 21 5 star recruits (more than the rest of the ACC combined and more than any other NCAA team). Over that period, Duke has had 11 first round picks and 7 second round picks. Yet, Duke has following ACC finishes during that period:

2016: 5th
2017: 5th
2018: 2nd
2019: 3rd
2020: T-2nd
2021: 10th

WF 's most recent ex-coaches may have been able to achieve those tepid results with that array of talent.

Duke has also, not made a Final 4 over that span (they have made 1 Final 4 in the last 11 seasons). Oh yeah, the media continues to spew the false narrative that Duke players are true student-athletes when Duke has been Kentucky-Durham campus for a decade; come to Duke for 8 months, take a couple of GUT classes and we will send you on your way. Should we mention that Duke's best player, Paolo Banchero, and K's grandkid were arrested in-season for DWI and aiding and abetting DWI. The Duke program failed to suspend either player as winning games in the old man's last year is the one and only priority for the lie that is Duke Basketball. Let's not forget this is the same old man, who abandoned his team in the middle of Duke's worst basketball season in decades (1994-5). Leaving the sinking ship wasn't enough for K, after the season, he fired long-time assistant Pete Gaudet who was tasked with riding out the storm on a sinking ship, and then, K took the extra-step to wipe the 1994-5 season from his career record, underscoring his selfish decision to strand the players he recruited and the coaches he hired. This is an amoral program that the basketball media continues to let ride on its high horse. F Duke.

mqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
I was sort of hoping Fox Sports One would cut into the ESPN market/Duke slurping especially with J-Will and Bilas on the air.

With ESPN ties in to SEC Network and ACC Network, that seems unlikely.

Perhaps the "Longhorn Network" and after we win the national championship in football and make the final 4 in the SAME YEAR - yeah I believe in Clawson and Forbes - the "Deacon Network" will allow us to not have to hear about Duke all the time.

At least now we don't have the stupid Cutcliffe/Manning shit once a year on the ESPN home page.

EFF them. I hope we win!

thanks for that breakdown of Duke's underachievement. I kind of knew that in my head, but it is sure illuminating to actually see the numbers and how little they have actually achieved when compared to their talent.

I fully expect ManMan to have two fouls before the first TV timeout. That's just how the ACC rolls.

I fully expect ManMan to have two fouls before the first TV timeout. That's just how the ACC rolls.

Mucius will get fouled on every three point attempt, yet he will shoot no free throws

Wish Forbes would put the walk-ons out there for the first five minutes to just foul the shit out of every Duke player.

thanks for that breakdown of Duke's underachievement. I kind of knew that in my head, but it is sure illuminating to actually see the numbers and how little they have actually achieved when compared to their talent.

Some of that can be explained by how Duke recruits chronically underachieve in the NBA. Duke produces a lot of good rotation guys but relatively few legitimate stars.

Here’s the all-time list of Duke All-Stars: Grant Hill, Elton Brand, Carlos Boozer, Luol Deng, Kyrie Irving, Jayson Tatum, Brandon Ingram, Zion Williamson.

Three of Duke’s 8 All-Stars are from the last two All-Star games.

Mucius will get fouled on every three point attempt, yet he will shoot no free throws

And Packer and Durham will say he shouldn’t expect to get FTs after shooting threes.

Duke basketball recruits like Alabama football, but the results look like Texas A&M football. Yet, the program never gets targeted for ordinary results with purportedly extraordinary talent.

not only that, they stole their stupid "Brotherhood" gimmick from the Atlanta Falcons

which actually may help explain their craptastic lack of success

Our Deacs play 12-2 (2-1) Duke Blue Devils on Wednesday at the Joel.

Duke is the most over-exposed program in the sport. So, it's a waste of time to engage in a breakdown. The quick facts are as follows:

• KP projects a 78-73 Duke win in 72 possessions.
  • WF has a 34% chance of victory.
  • Duke has the #14 offense and the #23 defense and is rated #13 overall.
  • WF has the #51 offense and the #61 defense and #53 overall.
  • Would expect Davien to be back and think both teams will push the pace (WF and Duke are #2 and #3 in tempo among ACC teams).
  • Like the over if its 151 or less.

When pondering Duke basketball, consider the following:

- In the last 6 seasons, Duke has landed 21 5 star recruits (more than the rest of the ACC combined and more than any other NCAA team). Over that period, Duke has had 11 first round picks and 7 second round picks. Yet, Duke has following ACC finishes during that period:

2016: 5th
2017: 5th
2018: 2nd
2019: 3rd
2020: T-2nd
2021: 10th

WF 's most recent ex-coaches may have been able to achieve those tepid results with that array of talent.

Duke has also, not made a Final 4 over that span (they have made 1 Final 4 in the last 11 seasons). Oh yeah, the media has somehow tried to continue the narrative that Duke players are true student-athletes when Duke has been Kentucky-Durham campus for a decade. Oh yeah, Duke's best player, Paolo Banchero, and K's grandkid were arrested in-season for DWI and aiding and abetting DWI. The Duke program failed to suspend either player as winning games in the old man's last year is the one and only priority for the lie that is Duke Basketball. Let's not forget this is the same old man, abandoned his team in the middle of Duke's worst basketball season in decades (1994-5). Leaving the sinking ship wasn't enough for K, after the season, he fired long-time assistant Pete Gaudet who was tasked with riding out the storm on a sinking ship, and then, K took the extra-step to wipe the 1994-5 season from his career record, underscoring his selfish decision to strand the players he recruited and the coaches he hired. This is an amoral program that the basketball media continues to let ride on its high horse. F Duke.

mqdefault.jpg

Perfect assessment of the asshole narcissist K. All these sports writers who are lining up to jump in his pants are the worst. Wish he just left quietly like Williams but no he needs his victory lap.

Duke basketball recruits like Alabama football, but the results look like Texas A&M football. Yet, the program never gets targeted for ordinary results with purportedly extraordinary talent.

So let me get this straight, you are not high on dook hoops or coach kaye.

'cuse doesn't foul yet we got calls, dook will foul with few called.

Read an article about Coach Relationships lecturing GT's Mike Devoe about the "right way to play" after Devoe's over excitement after a big play. Shouting at him that he "does not know who you are talking to." Additionally, forced Devoe to apologize and grovel in the handshake line and Devoe and Pastner went along with it out of respect for Coach Relationships.

What an insufferable miserable person.

It will be the home team's turn to be screwed by the refs on Wednesday night. When we play Duke in Durham, it will be the visiting team's turn. Fair's fair. I think I got that right.

Read an article about Coach Relationships lecturing GT's Mike Devoe about the "right way to play" after Devoe's over excitement after a big play. Shouting at him that he "does not know who you are talking to." Additionally, forced Devoe to apologize and grovel in the handshake line and Devoe and Pastner went along with it out of respect for Coach Relationships.

What an insufferable miserable person.

He had a similar issue with an Oregon player a few seasons ago, IIRC. And lied that he said anything. He had to later admit, he did.

Nice rant Pilch - got me more fired up for the game. And 100% agree with the comparison to Roy. Ol’ Roy was a huckleberry at times for sure, but generally seemed to be a straight up dude who tried to do things the right way. When it was time to go he just retired and moved on. Not K - it’s all about him. K pretty much seems to be a foul mouthed shitbag whose entire brand is a sham.

per Les' Twitter, Daivien is available to play vs. Duke, and Monsanto has been cleared for full-court practice but will not play in games this week

"will not play in games this week"

Wow. So he could possibly play by the end of the month?

Nice rant Pilch - got me more fired up for the game. And 100% agree with the comparison to Roy. Ol’ Roy was a huckleberry at times for sure, but generally seemed to be a straight up dude who tried to do things the right way. When it was time to go he just retired and moved on. Not K - it’s all about him. K pretty much seems to be a foul mouthed shitbag whose entire brand is a sham.

"But K promised his recruits that he would coach them during their freshman year. It's not about him, it's about them." What a load of horse shit.

K is a grade A hypocrite and asshole. I hope the Deacon rides the motorcycle right in his face and blows the exhaust in his dyed hair. And then we kick their ass on the court.

Monsanto will help this team tremendously when he gets back on the court.

"will not play in games this week"

Wow. So he could possibly play by the end of the month?

Yeah. Watching that video, thinking about him playing all year with Jake and ManMan - that's a nasty 3-headed monster

Back