• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 18: @ UVA - Bally Sports - 4:30 pm Saturday

Pilchard

Reaction score
Circumstances (got to drive a kid back to school for Spring Semester) resulted in a truncated report on the Deacs' Saturday Game at UVA (the 2019 National Champs: UVA):

2021-22 Hoos: 10-6 (4-2) #64. Close ACC wins over Pitt (by 1), Cuse (by 5), Clemson (by 10), VT (by 2); blowout losses to Clemson (by 17) and UNC (by 16). UVA is the slowest tempo team in the country averaging only 60 possessions per game. Last night's win over VT was 54-52 slog. UVA's decline has been blamed on their poor offense (#9 in ACC offensive efficiency), but UVA's defense is what has really declined. Between 2014 through 2020, UVA defense was rated #4, #2, #7, #2, #1, #5, and #1 nationally. This season UVA is #50 nationally and #9 in the ACC in conference games. UVA has kept scoring down by playing a super slow tempo, not great defense. UVA is no longer a defensive juggernaut. UVA is last in the ACC in 3 point FG% defense and 13th in forcing turnovers. UVA still does excel at defending the paint (#2 in the ACC in 2 point defense). Offensively, UVA does not shoot well (2nd to last in the ACC in points generated on 3 point shots). UVA needs to score inside to generate offense.

Projection: KP projects a 66-63 UVA win in 63 possessions, giving WF a 41% chance at a win. Think our Deacs have a solid shot at the upset. WF has played solid interior D (#3 in the ACC in 2 PT defense). Also, WF has shot unusually poorly in conference games 29% from 3 in ACC games (LaRavia 38% from 3 overall; 27% in ACC games; only Mucius is shooting above his overall 3 point % in conference games). In particular, Davien will have a game under his belt, and think he will back in form on Saturday. WF has not won in C'ville since 2010; so, hard to be super-confident, but this WF team is simply better than UVA as WF will have the two best players on the court (Williams and LaRavia), and WF is due for a bust out offensive game.

Last edited:
This will be a good test of our patience and bounce-back. Deacs have to take better care of the ball or we lose this game.

Lol not going to see many games this year with the Bally shit. Put us back on ESPN 4 please.

Just get cable. It’s literally not any more expensive than whatever pieced together cord-cutter stuff you are doing plus paying for internet.

Just get cable. It’s literally not any more expensive than whatever pieced together cord-cutter stuff you are doing plus paying for internet.

I mean maybe. But for most people internet is a given whether you cut the cord or not. And I've got yttv. Espn +. And netflix. On any TV in my house. Well under a hundred a month. Cable /dish with box rental etc gets easily $100 or more.

I added the internet in because most cable places have cheaper internet in a bundle.

Pass the ball. Be patient. Get good looks. Hit a high percentage of those good looks.

Play defense.

Win.

Lol not going to see many games this year with the Bally shit. Put us back on ESPN 4 please.

Agree with this. Maybe we should start a "Fuck Bally" thread so we can keep our bitching off the game threads. Seriously, how do they have any viewers with only cable and AT&T Uverse. Maybe there aren't as many cord cutters as I thought.

Pass the ball. Be patient. Get good looks. Hit a high percentage of those good looks.

Play defense.

Win.

In particular, Wake will need to move the ball from side to side quickly so the Packline D has to keep shifting. Eventually a defender will be caught a step out of position and give an open look. But it might take 20+ seconds of passing. The passing has to look like it did for much of the game against Syracuse. The ball needs to get into the post, Walton, LaRavia or Sy.

Agree with this. Maybe we should start a "Fuck Bally" thread so we can keep our bitching off the game threads. Seriously, how do they have any viewers with only cable and AT&T Uverse. Maybe there aren't as many cord cutters as I thought.

I was able to watch our last game on the Bally website with an xfinity sign in when it was blacked out through ESPN.

I mean maybe. But for most people internet is a given whether you cut the cord or not. And I've got yttv. Espn +. And netflix. On any TV in my house. Well under a hundred a month. Cable /dish with box rental etc gets easily $100 or more.

or just find someone with a cable subscription willing to give you their log-in for the Bally app. luckily my mom does.

ESPN shows it as ACCNX but Wake site shows Bally even though my WS Spectrum guide and website show Sat 430 as NHL hockey on Bally Sports South 46 and Gonzaga Santa Clara on Bally Sports SE on 71. Yes GOnzaga on BSSE?!?! I’m betting the SE is wrong but makes it a bitch to trust what to tape.

ESPN says it’s on ACCNX because it is for everyone outside of the east coast.

So I’m going to get my eardrums blown out by Bally’s commercial volume today?

ESPN shows it as ACCNX but Wake site shows Bally even though my WS Spectrum guide and website show Sat 430 as NHL hockey on Bally Sports South 46 and Gonzaga Santa Clara on Bally Sports SE on 71. Yes GOnzaga on BSSE?!?! I’m betting the SE is wrong but makes it a bitch to trust what to tape.

I only have Bally Sports South in Raleigh so only Hockey is listed. Luckily I have my mom’s login for Braves’ purposes.

I will chip in for a Fuck Bally billboard

Back