• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 19: WF at GT - Wednesday Jan 19 7 pm - ESPNU

We knew her way back when as just the bowl lady.

Yup.

I think she's the best halftime show I've seen. There was a certain bit of nostalgia involved with seeing her at a Wake Forest basketball game again last night, but the first time you see her (especially if you have no idea what she's about to do) it is supremely impressive.

"There is no fucking way she's getting all of those bowls on her head while riding a god damned 7 foot unicycle. No fucking way."

Yes fucking way.

Her act is so good, I would be completely cool with retiring her unicycle on a banner in the rafters when she decides she’s done. She’s such a cool story.

To expand upon that...

Often times I see people perform a skill and I think, "Well, if I spent years and years practicing, I think I could also perfect that."

There is no amount of practice that would allow me to ride a unicycle and flip bowls on my head. I could have started the first time I saw her like 20 years ago. Putting in a few hours a day, every day. And the end result would be that I'd probably be able to ride a unicycle, but I'd be kicking plastic bowls all over the fucking court and eventually falling on my head.

Growing up, I lived and died with Wake Forest basketball. I remember saving up my money to buy a season ticket for the games at Memorial Coliseum in 82, 83, 84, when we would play most of our non-conference games there. I sat on the very first row, under the basket. I was there for the opening game at the LJVM and I was there when RR unleashed his 360 and when Childress hit 6 straight 3 pointers. But, as with many of us, something of my love for Wake basketball died with Skip Prosser. I still paid attention to the the Dino teams, but it just wasn't the same. And for the last 10+ years, I have gone to Wake basketball games only when someone would offer me free tickets. And I would watch us on TV only when I didn't have anything better to do or there wasn't anything better to watch.

But now it is different. This team is fun to watch and they know what they are doing. I am hopeful that we are witnessing the rebirth of Wake Forest basketball. I actually changed my schedule to be able to watch the game last night. And I will be there on Saturday to see us send the Heels home crying.

Thanks Coach Forbes and John Currie.

I legit had a dream last night that I was at a Wake bball game (haven't been to the Joel since maybe 2005 or so) and we ended up winning. Definitely enjoying this Deacaissance going on right now.

My vibes are at like a 1000 right now. I fully expected us to Deac that game last night.

Kicking their asses and not folding in the second half has me hype. I feel like we are witnessing the beginning of a very great thing. Lets take the fucking ride.

To expand upon that...

Often times I see people perform a skill and I think, "Well, if I spent years and years practicing, I think I could also perfect that."

There is no amount of practice that would allow me to ride a unicycle and flip bowls on my head. I could have started the first time I saw her like 20 years ago. Putting in a few hours a day, every day. And the end result would be that I'd probably be able to ride a unicycle, but I'd be kicking plastic bowls all over the fucking court and eventually falling on my head.

Well said. On the other hand, I could find a partner and master quick change in a weekend or two.

On a sad note, the Quick Change guy died of COVID in 2020.

https://sports.yahoo.com/david-maas...halftime-show-dies-of-covid-19-161641632.html

yeah that's what we always called her and maybe they announced her as Red Panda when she came out but I don't recall so. she was always and will always be Bowl Lady. Maybe it's one of those Berensta(e)in Bears things.

her momma named her bowl lady, i'm gonna call her bowl lady.

is the AMAZING christopher and his village people still performing?

his +/- has to be the highest on the squad

both of our runs have been with him on the floor

I'm sure things were different when you posted this due to our late dominance, but Whitt had the lowest +/- on the team at +2. Though oddly enough, Sy had the highest at 18. Monsanto was 14 in the same amount of minutes as Whitt (12), which is pretty awesome.

I was still encouraged by Whitt's first half play, though. He's critical to navigating a zone defense.

ETA, Whitt was -3 in the first half, so maybe not. 2nd worst other than Mucius at -4.

Last edited:
All in on our improvement and Monsanto is a game changer if he is completely good to go. I will say it was still GT (yes I know our problems in Atlanta), but we were letting them hang around.

We pooped the bed against dook, now UNC is in town, time to solidify our re-emergence in the ACC.

I'm sure things were different when you posted this due to our late dominance, but Whitt had the lowest +/- on the team at +2. Though oddly enough, Sy had the highest at 18. Monsanto was 14 in the same amount of minutes as Whitt (12), which is pretty awesome.

I was still encouraged by Whitt's first half play, though. He's critical to navigating a zone defense.

ETA, Whitt was -3 in the first half, so maybe not. 2nd worst other than Mucius at -4.

I mean part of my shtick is to build Carter up a bit on here because I really don't wanna lose a 6'3 in-state point guard to transfer. The other part, though, is that I think he's pretty good and gives our offense a different dimension when we're stagnating from all of the ISOs. ManMan, Jake, and Daivien aren't point guards. They're looking for their shots, so when they can't get them, all we can do is turn the ball over. That's the moment when we can use a change of pace guy like Whitt, who distributes the ball. Whereas those guys look to shoot, he's looking to pass and he's bringing the ball up the floor and setting up offense in the half court with that in mind. It helps a lot. Anyway, we'll see how things shake out by the end of the year, but after watching a lot of bad point guard play over the last decade, I think Carter is going to be pretty good for us.

No one has mentioned Whitt’s new hair color. Much improved. I think that’s why he finally scored at the end of the first half.

Not to mention Carter's dad went to Wake. Who would want their kid trashed by their Alma Matter fan base?

Good post, Strick. Williams makes great passes, but when he's bringing the ball up the court, he should be looking to score first, dish second. Some of his turnovers come from trying to be a playmaker instead of a downhill scorer. Whitt on the break is looking to pass first and like you said, gives us a change of pace. When Whitt and Williams play together, Williams doesn't need to be a distributor. Using the individual play-by-play, Williams and LaRavia had 16 assists when Whitt was out of the game and 2 assists when Whitt was in the game. So that's a sign they aren't in the playmaker role as much with Whitt in the game.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=368837

Yep. Against opponents with less physical guards and/or opponents who run mostly zone, Whitt is a strong facilitator of the offense. He's also seemingly not a bad defender. We need some of that physicality to come into play on offense where he often seems totally overmatched against tight man to man defense (see, Duke). And obviously for him to find his shot. I'm certainly still hopeful he can become an ACC-level PG in the future. At the same time I also hope we bring in a stud recruit/transfer PG.

It's not crazy at all for Whitt to be 2 years away from being a legit starting ACC PG.

I mean part of my shtick is to build Carter up a bit on here because I really don't wanna lose a 6'3 in-state point guard to transfer. The other part, though, is that I think he's pretty good and gives our offense a different dimension when we're stagnating from all of the ISOs. ManMan, Jake, and Daivien aren't point guards. They're looking for their shots, so when they can't get them, all we can do is turn the ball over. That's the moment when we can use a change of pace guy like Whitt, who distributes the ball. Whereas those guys look to shoot, he's looking to pass and he's bringing the ball up the floor and setting up offense in the half court with that in mind. It helps a lot. Anyway, we'll see how things shake out by the end of the year, but after watching a lot of bad point guard play over the last decade, I think Carter is going to be pretty good for us.

He would be playing a lot more if he could shoot. That doesn't seem like a situation where a transfer is going to cure the problem.

I'm fan of Whitt and I understand why his role on the team is the subject of so much debate. He is 2nd on the team in assists per 40 mins, and Williamson is 9th. But Whitt's shooting has been just abysmal, and Williamson is probably our 3rd best offensive option (hopefully 4th as Monsanto starts to contribute more).

The main reason why I want Whitt to play more is that I don't think we need the offensive production from our point guard, especially now that Monsanto is back. Williams, Monsanto, Jake and either Walton or Sy is plenty of offense - especially when defenses have to respect either big man from deep. There are many times where we would be better off slowing the offense down and using our great ball movement, and Whitt's skill set is better suited for that. When we need more offensive production, Williamson is absolutely the guy.

Back