• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 19: WF at GT - Wednesday Jan 19 7 pm - ESPNU

Wow thats a heck of a road win in a place we havent won in over 15 years. Monsanto is going to be a baller and he deserves to play over Cam right now and the staff agrees. also anyone who thinks Whitt should play more than Daivien is insane, right now Whitt is a MAJOR liability on offense so im ok with 8 minutes a game from Whitt, the kid averages 2 pts and 2 assists a game and yes he makes some wow passes here and there but NO WAY hes better than Daivien so that talk needs to STOP. Monsanto makes this team so much better. WOW it feels good to have a Good Coach and Good Team.

Wow thats a heck of a road win in a place we havent won in over 15 years. Monsanto is going to be a baller and he deserves to play over Cam right now and the staff agrees. also anyone who thinks Whitt should play more than Daivien is insane, right now Whitt is a MAJOR liability on offense so im ok with 8 minutes a game from Whitt, the kid averages 2 pts and 2 assists a game and yes he makes some wow passes here and there but NO WAY hes better than Daivien so that talk needs to STOP. Monsanto makes this team so much better. WOW it feels good to have a Good Coach and Good Team.
Well said.

Adding depth of the level of Monsanto means so much.

In no way should Whitt start over Daivien.

Jake needs to not dribble outside the 3pt line.

Alondes needs to lock up the sloppiness.

Since it hasn't been mentioned. Defense travels on the road.

The Deacs finished the game on a 31-13 run over the final 13:56 for an 80-64 win. They limited GT to 4-18 from the field and forced the Jackets into 7 turnovers. GGTT when it counts for a conference road win.

The Deacs finished the final 10:23 of the Virginia game on a 23-8 run for a 63-55 win. They limited the Cavs to 4-17 from the field and forced 4 turnovers. GGTT when it counts for a conference road win.

When a team holds its opponent under a point a minute for an extended period of time they are playing outstanding defense. Doing it on the road to end games is called finishing. It's a great habit for a team to develop. I thought it was worth pointing out since it is so rarely seen by Wake Forest basketball fans, especially in consecutive conference road games.

Monsanto looked good shooting, rebounding and defending.

That's all folks.

Beat UNC & BC at home and become ACC regular season title contenders

Since it hasn't been mentioned. Defense travels on the road.

The Deacs finished the game on a 31-13 run over the final 13:56 for an 80-64 win. They limited GT to 4-18 from the field and forced the Jackets into 7 turnovers. GGTT when it counts for a conference road win.

The Deacs finished the final 10:23 of the Virginia game on a 23-8 run for a 63-55 win. They limited the Cavs to 4-17 from the field and forced 4 turnovers. GGTT when it counts for a conference road win.

When a team holds its opponent under a point a minute for an extended period of time they are playing outstanding defense. Doing it on the road to end games is called finishing. It's a great habit for a team to develop. I thought it was worth pointing out since it is so rarely seen by Wake Forest basketball fans, especially in consecutive conference road games.

Monsanto looked good shooting, rebounding and defending.

That's all folks.

Similar story in the VT game except it lasted most of the second half. Outscored them 32-16 over the last 16 minutes of the game.

Great win- glad to see that losing streak come to an end. We need to get the turnovers under control. Can't wait to see us play Saturday!

It was fun watching the team turn the screws in the 2nd half. Before that, the turnovers were just frustrating as hell to watch.

I hope Whitt gains confidence from his play tonight. The alley-oop to Williams is a play very few players see, much less complete.

I agree with ATS- Sy had a bad game- glad he got it out of his system in a beatdown.

Monsanto is an amazing story. Barring setbacks, he will be a huge part of the team down the stretch.

I hope Whitt gains confidence from his play tonight. The alley-oop to Williams is a play very few players see, much less complete.

From where I was sitting, it looked like Whitt threw that pass when ManMan had maybe a foot inside the 3 point line... Was amazing to see Williams go up and get that from where he started. And the confidence that Whitt had that ManMan was going to be there to catch it.

One negative that I forgot to highlight...

Red Panda had a hard time with her "grand finale" of 5 bowls... Gave it 3 chances and ultimately fell off her unicycle on the last one.

She was an A+, as usual before that... But I felt bad that she wasn't able to complete the last trick.

Williamson had stretches early where he was terrible. He clearly provides shooting that Whitt does not right now. But, Whitt mostly runs the offense well and creates points for others. There is a place for both of them in the game.
I don't know what has happened to Whitt's shot and his confidence in it - you can tell that he doesn't think it is going it when he shoots it. Hopefully it gets fixed - but who knows. I like Whitt's size and the way he moves the ball around the offense.

One negative that I forgot to highlight...

Red Panda had a hard time with her "grand finale" of 5 bowls... Gave it 3 chances and ultimately fell off her unicycle on the last one.

She was an A+, as usual before that... But I felt bad that she wasn't able to complete the last trick.

Maybe she is on the backside of her career. Red Panda always lands 5 bowls in her prime.

she's been in the game a long time. they always brought her out for a big game (Duke/UNC) during my years at Wake (03-07).

Serious question, which is better... Red Panda or Frisbee dogs.

I have a slight lean towards Frisbee dogs.

Someone should take a poll of the best halftime shows. Not me... But someone.

Tough choice. Frisbee dogs at a football game is probably the best. Those long tosses are really cool.

Williamson had stretches early where he was terrible. He clearly provides shooting that Whitt does not right now. But, Whitt mostly runs the offense well and creates points for others. There is a place for both of them in the game.
I don't know what has happened to Whitt's shot and his confidence in it - you can tell that he doesn't think it is going it when he shoots it. Hopefully it gets fixed - but who knows. I like Whitt's size and the way he moves the ball around the offense.

This - The flow and movement in the offense (especially against teams like Tech that play quite a bit of zone) is considerably better with Whitt at PG but defense and outside shooting remain glaring weaknesses.

I've been a Williamson fan since I first heard reports of him in practice prior to last season but he's not a PG. He's an undersized SG but his ability to hit 3's is much needed on this team with lots of 3 point shooters but not many 3 point makers.

Growing up, I lived and died with Wake Forest basketball. I remember saving up my money to buy a season ticket for the games at Memorial Coliseum in 82, 83, 84, when we would play most of our non-conference games there. I sat on the very first row, under the basket. I was there for the opening game at the LJVM and I was there when RR unleashed his 360 and when Childress hit 6 straight 3 pointers. But, as with many of us, something of my love for Wake basketball died with Skip Prosser. I still paid attention to the the Dino teams, but it just wasn't the same. And for the last 10+ years, I have gone to Wake basketball games only when someone would offer me free tickets. And I would watch us on TV only when I didn't have anything better to do or there wasn't anything better to watch.

But now it is different. This team is fun to watch and they know what they are doing. I am hopeful that we are witnessing the rebirth of Wake Forest basketball. I actually changed my schedule to be able to watch the game last night. And I will be there on Saturday to see us send the Heels home crying.

Thanks Coach Forbes and John Currie.

Back