• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 2: @ UGA - 7pm Friday - SEC Network

Pilchard

Reaction score
Tomorrow, our Deacs play their one true OOC road game on the schedule in Athens. Here is the rundown on the Dawgs:

Last year 16-16 (6-12) #154: In his first year at UGA, the Dawgs improved from truly awful the year before (6-26; 1-17 #219) to just poor. Despite losing to WF 81-71 last November, UGA started the season 13-4 (3-1) before stumbling to a 3-12 finish. UGA did their best work at home beating #32 Auburn, #53 Mississippi State and #27 KY.

2023-4 UGA: Even with the moderate improvement, White isn't building off last year's team as UGA lost/pushed out its top three scorers from last year's team and 60% of last year's roster. For this season, White overhauled his personnel by adding 5 transfers and 4 freshman, while returning two starters from last year's squad.

Demonstrating the difficulty of incorporating so many no pieces to a roster, the Dawgs disappointed in a 82-71 season opening loss to Oregon; the game wasn't that close as Oregon led by as much as 20 late in the second half. Oregon dominated UGA on the boards (+22), while the Dawg offense struggled in every facet: .86 points per possession; 34% on two point FGs; 57% from the line; -5 in assists versus TOs; other than giving up 21 offensive rebounds, the Dawg defense played reasonably well holding Oregon to .99 points per possession; 43% from 2, while forcing 15 TOs.

The starting lineup against Oregon:

6-8 Sr. Jabri Abdur-Rahim: led UGA in scoring against Oregon with 18 points (3 for 6 from three) 5 boards; didn't start last year, but played a key role last season 122 O rating 39% from three
6-4 Sr. Noah Thomasson: Niagara transfer averaged 19 ppg last season 38% from three; struggled against Oregon 6 points; 2 for 9 from the field; 3 assists 3 TOs
6-5 Fr. Silas Demary: 4 star recruit (ranked #72 by 247) from Charlotte; WF offered; can play point; 8 points on 2 for 7 shooting; 5 boards 2 assists 1 TO
6-7 Jr. RJ Melendez: Illinois transfer; streaky shooter; shot 26% from three on the season; played well early for the Illini last season, but then went through stretch going an abysmal 5 for 40 from three, which naturally limited his PT; 5 TOs against Oregon
7-0 Sr. Russel Tchewa: USF transfer; plays a lot like Marsh; 275 pounds; scores on dunks and put-backs; never made a three in his career; 5 points 9 boards against Oregon

The bench (only two played played more than 7 minutes off the bench);

6-0 Sr. Justin Hill: transferred from Longwood before last season; plays point; 30% from three last year; 4 assists and 3 TOs against Oregon
6-5 Fr. Blue Cain: 4 star recruit (#77); has a rep as three point marksman; 12 points; 2 for 7 from three; 7 three attempts in an opening game; not bashful

The projection: KP liked UGA's adds to this year's roster as he jumped the Dawgs almost 100 spots (from #154 to #57) to open the season. After the loss to the Ducks, UGA has dropped 6 spots to #63. KP projects a 80-75 UGA win; Torvik 80-78 UGA. Big game for the Deacs as the NCAAT selection committee loves road OOC wins; best case scenario would be a WF win, and then for the UGA roster to gel and the Dawgs to have a good season in the SEC. Like this matchup as we have two coaches at the start of the season integrating lots of new pieces, but the advantage goes to Forbes over White (at least I hope so). FWIW, this looks to be a fast paced game as UGA/Oregon played an 83 possession game on Monday; while WF played a 76 possession game against Elon; both are big jumps from their 2022-23 averages. So, would look over (UGA likely to improve on offense; and UGA/Oregon went over) and shade the Deacs' side if WF is getting 4 or more (guessing it will open around UGA -3).

Last edited:
UGA's offensive average possession length was 12.4 seconds, which is the fastest in the nation so far.

Debating driving over to Athens tomorrow, but I’m sure it’s going to be a shit show with the Ole Miss game on Saturday. Any others going or thinking about it?

Debating driving over to Athens tomorrow, but I’m sure it’s going to be a shit show with the Ole Miss game on Saturday. Any others going or thinking about it?

I am roughly 90 minutes from Athens, but just couldn't pull the trigger... Too much to do on Saturday and too easy to just watch it on TV.

But definitely going to the 2/6 game @ Georgia Tech.

Hard to overstate how important this game and the next two weeks are. We can be in a great spot with 3-4 wins, or be in a really really deep hole with 2-3 losses. Sounds super dramatic this early, but such is life on the bubble. We haven't gotten done what we needed to the last few years, a win tomorrow would be a huge step in the right direction for this year.

Any word on Sallis? He was gimpy most of the Elon game and didn't play the last 8-10 minutes.

Anyone seen UGA play? Does Marsh match up to their big and style of play? Seems like he would based on Pilch's post. I'm not giving up on the big guy yet! Ready for some Bangers and Mash!

I’m surprised that Jalen DeLoach didn’t play more for Georgia last game. I really wanted him out of the portal from VCU.
He was coming back from a preseason knee injury. I’m a UGA grad and am excited about the potential of their roster this season but I’d hope Wake is a bit more polished at this stage considering all the newcomers for UGA. If Sallis is 100% I think Wake’s guards should dominate.

I believe we went 4-8 on the road last year. That needs to change if we are going to be a tourney team.

I watched Georgia play Oregon on Monday. They shot terribly from the line and had no true dominant presence inside. They were expected to be a good outside shooting team coming into the season but didn't show that on Monday either. If we shoot the ball well and don't come out of the gates slow again, we should win.

Coming out of the gates slow will be a nightmare. Ole Miss is in town, gameday on Sat. I'd expect a big crowd at the game.

I am excited about what this team could do if they come hungry

He was coming back from a preseason knee injury. I’m a UGA grad and am excited about the potential of their roster this season but I’d hope Wake is a bit more polished at this stage considering all the newcomers for UGA. If Sallis is 100% I think Wake’s guards should dominate.
You actually went to UGA and root for them, yet I had no idea. Interesting.

Back