• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 20: UNC-Ch - Saturday 8 pm - ACCN

I love that, for the first time in YEARS, this team is getting better and better, week by week. They didn’t peak during cupcake season…they are getting stronger. And now we see the additions of Monsanto and Marsh? Whew. Forbes is my hero.

I love that, for the first time in YEARS, this team is getting better and better, week by week. They didn’t peak during cupcake season…they are getting stronger. And now we see the additions of Monsanto and Marsh? Whew. Forbes is my hero.

I think this is the MOST exciting thing about Forbes. Love his energy, personality, recruiting acumen, game coaching ability...all great. But to watch a team get better over the year is awesome and the mark of a truly elite coach. Very optimistic about Forbes' and Wake's future.

Admittedly I've tuned out of Wake hoops for years so am not as familiar with these guys, but Marsh is enormous. He is only a freshman? Paraphrasing the Celtics announcer about Aaron Baynes, he looks like all of England.

Just listened to presser. I thought HD was very complimentary, in a way. It's crazy that we are in year two of a rebuild and in the post-game presser the head coach of UNC is saying (I'm paraphrasing), "At the end of the day, Manman, Jake, and Davien were the best players on the floor and we couldn't match their talent. I played in the NBA and no matter how much I prepped and how good my fundamentals were, MJ and Kobe were going to out play me. Now I'm not saying these guys are MJ or Kobe, but that's basically what happened out there. Wake is the far more talented team."

This speaks to what a fucking fantastic job Forbes is doing. We're in year two and this is the only answer the HC of UNC can give after the literal crime against humanity we inflicted on them on the floor. Feels good man.

I'd also expect to see a lot of roster turnover at UNC. We'll see what that ultimately means.

I thought his presser was strange and that he basically said his team is less talented and Wake was more talented. It almost sounded like he was saying coaching wouldn’t matter or his roster is not good. If I was a UNC player or parent I would be scratching my head asking why is he bus driving us all even though he probably is right. When you play the we don’t have talent card, it seems like it would be hard to motivate. This also begs the question why does UNC not have talent this year?

Maybe Hubert’s real audience is the UNC admin who might want to can him after next year. Saying you don’t have talent is coach speak for losing is not bad coaching.

I thought his presser was strange and that he basically said his team is less talented and Wake was more talented. It almost sounded like he was saying coaching wouldn’t matter or his roster is not good. If I was a UNC player or parent I would be scratching my head asking why is he bus driving us all even though he probably is right. When you play the we don’t have talent card, it seems like it would be hard to motivate. This also begs the question why does UNC not have talent this year?

Davis will likely be gone after next season, as it's pretty clear that he wasn't ready for a head coaching job. I doubt they'll keep him for even three years like they did Doherty. Most of the talent they do have this year (like Bacot) will go pro or transfer, and next year's recruiting class is decent but doesn't have any standout players, so they'll be even worse next year than they are this year. Right now they're clearly a program in decline, like Indiana. If Scheyer does well at Duke next year - and with their incoming recruiting class they probably will - that will put even more pressure on UNC's powers-that-be to do something. It's likely going to be ugly for UNC basketball for the next several years - and they richly deserve it.

Admittedly I've tuned out of Wake hoops for years so am not as familiar with these guys, but Marsh is enormous. He is only a freshman? Paraphrasing the Celtics announcer about Aaron Baynes, he looks like all of England.

19 years old. Turns 20 in May. Really excited about what he can do in a month or so and next year.

I can agree with this. I don't think he necessarily said anything incorrect, but it's not what his players need to hear if they're going to turn this around. Bold play to pull a Bielema.

FWIW, I've seen a decent number of UNC fans making the excuse that this is basically the roster that "forced" Roy to retire because they can't be motivated or coached. IMO, he recruited them so that's on Roy, but some of their fans are using this as cover for the team's performance this season.

Stayed off the boards for the most part last night because I was too focused on my tv screen and pacing back and forth while staying well hydrated.

That’s the most fun I’ve had watching a Wake basketball game since the Collins year against UL. ManMan did his thing and I thought he played a much cleaner game than the last two. It was amazing to watch UNC have absolutely no answer for Jake. I thought Williamson had the best game of his career. If he’s scoring like that, we are going to be tough for anyone to stop. Hubert was right, in year two of Forbes, Wake has a better roster than UNC. Oh, and the Monsanto minute was just the best.

Regarding Hubert’s press conference - he recruited those players! He has talented players but they don’t fit together skill wise, and they aren’t as motivated as previous Carolina teams I’ve seen. They clearly don’t have a true point guard, they don’t have enough players who can create their own shot, and they don’t have the athletes to make up for their lack of team defense. They’re an island of misfit toys, and most likely this off-season with Bacot declaring they are going to completely turn over their roster the same way Kentucky did last season.

Davis will likely be gone after next season, as it's pretty clear that he wasn't ready for a head coaching job. I doubt they'll keep him for even three years like they did Doherty.

Who are they going to guilt trip 8th coaching this time who doesn’t give a shit about the UNC job?

Laravia and Williams with a combined 54 points on 28 shots

probably been a long time since we had anything like that

IC is a fun read! Haven't been there in over a decade.

The talent talk only comes up when Carolina isn't beating the brakes off everyone. Was there "talent" talk earlier in the year about Carolina? Those 4 and 5 star kids got their asses beat plain and simple.

Who would have believed we could win so convincingly without any points from Mucius, Walton and Sy. Amazing.

prime example of Burger King All americans kicking mcdonald's all american's ass.

and sorry Huebert... you are the coach of the North Carolina Tarheels- saying that you don't have the talent to win is laughable. Huebert is exactly what we thought he was when they hired him.

Last edited:
Oh, and the Monsanto minute was just the best.

I think this is what we should call it officially

As in: What we need now is a Monsanto minute! Or: That was a Monsanto minute if I ever saw one!

The talent talk only comes up when Carolina isn't beating the brakes off everyone. Was there "talent" talk earlier in the year about Carolina? Those 4 and 5 star kids got their asses beat plain and simple.

That's exactly what the Carolina posters were saying. That HD was saying how talented this team was in the early season and that it had the talent to go to the final four and win it all and now he's saying the opposite.

If you're already coaching for next season and the transfer portal, his comments make some sense. His pitch would have to be something like, "Come play at Carolina. We have a great tradition, great facilities, and a great coaching staff. All we're lacking is talent like you."

On the other hand, if he says his guys are good, then the only place the blame can logically go is on the coaching staff.

Back