• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 25: WF at NC State - Wednesday 7 pm - ACCN

I’ll be shocked if Forbes doesn’t bring in an experienced point guard from the portal in the off season and that is with Carter still on our team.

Obviously no one knows what the future holds, but Whitt right now is not an ACC caliber pg. i would actually like to see McCray get some of his minutes to see what he can do.

First, if we beat dook, next week we'll have 30 pages on Carter. You'd think he cost us a game last night.

Not that 3 is that much better than 4, but he had a great pass for Walton that State held Walton (no foul of course) from getting it, that would have been for a slam.

We need to correlate the posts that praise Forbes, with the Carter negative posts. If we trust Forbes with the program, he must know something from practice that we don't.

Somewhere at the beginning of this thread, the recommendation was to play Marsh for significant minutes. Just saying people will praise Forbes but some consistently are saying he doesn't know what he's doing with Carter or Marsh.

First, if we beat dook, next week we'll have 30 pages on Carter. You'd think he cost us a game last night.

Not that 3 is that much better than 4, but he had a great pass for Walton that State held Walton (no foul of course) from getting it, that would have been for a slam.

We need to correlate the posts that praise Forbes, with the Carter negative posts. If we trust Forbes with the program, he must know something from practice that we don't.

Somewhere at the beginning of this thread, the recommendation was to play Marsh for significant minutes. Just saying people will praise Forbes but some consistently are saying he doesn't know what he's doing with Carter or Marsh.

agree 100 per cent

This isn't remedial arithmetic, this is calculus. Don't treat it like things can only occur in a vacuum.

It could [demonstrably this is the easiest to subscribe to] be true that Forbes is a great coach and worthy of our trust

It could ALSO be true that Whitt looks decent in practice

It could ALSO be true that he's absolutely not an in-game ACC caliber PG at this point in time

It could ALSO be true that Forbes is being conservative with the rotation and not putting in Bob or Lucas or Marsh for certain reasons

It could ALSO be true that Forbes is slightly rewarding seniority and commitment, i.e. Whitt coming out of HS early and giving Coach an extra semester

Etc...

Is there a scenario where Williamson, Whitt, Bob and Mintz are all on the roster this off-season? Think there would be spots for all four, just off the top of my head. If so, this will just work itself out. Only so many minutes.

The only reason I have the slightest glimmer of hope is because Forbes keeps playing him. Does he see something or just honoring Whitt’s commitment to WF when we were so down? But there is no way he looks even remotely like an ACC PG shooting 30% from field and 24% from 3 and if you want to say he is just a distributor then you got to swallow a near 1:1 assist to TO ratio and all of this against a very down ACC conf. While he did look better last year it really was because we had very little and someone has to score even on a putrid team that we had. I really hope something clicks, gets bigger in offseason or whatever it takes so we aren’t all cringing when he is on court, but not great signs this year. And biggest question is why not give McCray some mins. Given he appears to have more upside and you really can’t do much worse than stats above. And not even touching on defensive liability he is when on court whereas McCray appears he can hold his own.

The fact that we are actively discussing the playing time of the 8th guy in the rotation is an indication that we are highly interested in Wake basketball and that’s a good thing. How many of us remember the 8th guy in the rotation under bzzz or manning? I know I don’t.
Wake basketball is back baby and with that comes the usual things that obsessed fans tend to talk about.

We handled the press very well. Didn't get any layups, but didn't turn it over due to the press either. It was effective in reducing the number of Wake possessions. Fortunately our D was very good, and State wasn't able to score at its normal pace.

State had Seabron at the top of the zone press so that is huge size to deal with. We didn’t force what wasn’t there and made them pay for it. That is a W boys in Raleigh, enjoy it.

I just don't think you win 30 games or have the team chemistry this team has if you play a guy to 'honor' something.

I just don't think you win 30 games or have the team chemistry this team has if you play a guy to 'honor' something.
Sure you do. It shows that the coach rewards commitment to the program. That builds trust and chemistry. But again, stop taking issues in isolation.

On at least 3 occasions Forbes has stated we don't need Whitt to score. Just trust our coach. He's earned it.

This isn't remedial arithmetic, this is calculus. Don't treat it like things can only occur in a vacuum.

It could [demonstrably this is the easiest to subscribe to] be true that Forbes is a great coach and worthy of our trust

It could ALSO be true that Whitt looks decent in practice

It could ALSO be true that he's absolutely not an in-game ACC caliber PG at this point in time

It could ALSO be true that Forbes is being conservative with the rotation and not putting in Bob or Lucas or Marsh for certain reasons

It could ALSO be true that Forbes is slightly rewarding seniority and commitment, i.e. Whitt coming out of HS early and giving Coach an extra semester

Etc...

Class dismissed.

It could be true people on a sports board have no idea what's actually going on in 18yr old kids heads or a 50 year olds man's head.

But, after the UNC game he said he was ticked off at the freshman and told them the time was now not later. Sounds like he's not seeing what he wants in practice to put them on the court.

- it could also be true the other frosh don't take practice seriously enough
- it could also be true Forbes doesn't think they are ready.

It could be true people on a sports board have no idea what's actually going on in 18yr old kids heads or a 50 year olds man's head.

But, after the UNC game he said he was ticked off at the freshman and told them the time was now not later. Sounds like he's not seeing what he wants in practice to put them on the court.

- it could also be true the other frosh don't take practice seriously enough
- it could also be true Forbes doesn't think they are ready.
You're just proving my point.

2 things are true:

Carter Whitt stinks, and is not an acc caliber guard

He also does not need to be discussed every game, because it's obvious he stinks

It seems to me Whitt comes into the game in some pretty tough times when someone needs a brief break/rest.
He moves up court and gets good pressure that results in being trapped. You can see it developing but no one comes to accept a pass and ease the situation and flow. He is left out to dry a bit at times. IMHO

2 things are true:

Carter Whitt stinks, and is not an acc caliber guard

He also does not need to be discussed every game, because it's obvious he stinks

All he is in there to do is hold down the fort. More APG that TPG. His shooting has actually improved as the season has worn on, but he isn't in there to score. Gets mismatched on D too often. But he isn't playing huge minutes.

All he is in there to do is hold down the fort. More APG that TPG. His shooting has actually improved as the season has worn on, but he isn't in there to score. Gets mismatched on D too often. But he isn't playing huge minutes.

yes - the goal is to steal a few minutes for Daivien and ManMan, who are carrying big loads

we are asking ManMan to do a lot, and by next weekend, he will have played more minutes at WF than he did in 2 years at Oklahoma

One thing to note before it gets out of hand – McCray goes by Rob, not Bob.

Back