• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 25: WF at NC State - Wednesday 7 pm - ACCN

Agree with this assessment as Whitt has great handles and vision, but a bit undersized and not elite ACC pg speed/quickness to beat others off the dribble and doubt either of those improves enough so that he is more than a solid back-up. I also think he really struggles against more athletic/longer guards which the Pack was able to throw at him with Seabron, Smith and Hayes. My guess is his best games were against Cuse given zone and not man pressure and other teams with average guards that aren't particularly long or quick.

I agree it would seem McCray would get more minutes to see what he can do as you need someone ready to take Davien's starting role as just don't see it being Whitt unless he gets a big growth spurt or roids up (which we all assume the young man would never choose).

Carter obviously needs to get stronger but size is not an issue. He’s 6’3”.

at the end of the day, our offense was really good against state with one big exception: we couldn't grab any offensive boards -- only 3, all by sy (one of which was immediately a shotclock violation), which turned it into a slightly below-average output. (poor FT shooting didn't help either).

in conference play, our offensive rebounding % is 27.2%, was only 11.1% yesterday. and then 6-13 from the line (from our best FT shooters) is probably not gonna happen again.

I have no idea what Carter’s mentality is, but I seriously doubt that he would accept a backup point guard role next year. He was a very highly recruited kid with a great offer list— he , I am sure, believes he can start and play significant minutes at this level— whether at Wake or elsewhere.

I don't want to sound like i'm complaining because this season is freakin' awesome and Forbes is freakin' awesome, but I do wonder what would happen if we just took a game and gave Mccray the 10-12 minutes that Whitt usually gets and just see what happens? I mean, maybe he scores zero points and has a couple of bad turnovers but that is no different than a typical Whitt game. McCray has just shown so much in his limited minutes while Whitt....umm, has not.

I have no idea what Carter’s mentality is, but I seriously doubt that he would accept a backup point guard role next year. He was a very highly recruited kid with a great offer list— he , I am sure, believes he can start and play significant minutes at this level— whether at Wake or elsewhere.

His offer list means nothing he’s played a year and a half of college basketball. I’m not writing him off for his whole career as he’s only a freshman but he’s not capable of being a top half ACC level starting point guard next year.

And it probably took it's physical toll on State after about 34 minutes.

I liked the way we handled the press, spread out and passed over. Took longer to set up but we did not turn the ball over for the most part nor dribble into traps.

His offer list means nothing he’s played a year and a half of college basketball. I’m not writing him off for his whole career as he’s only a freshman but he’s not capable of being a top half ACC level starting point guard next year.

Totally agree, in terms of experience he's a 2nd. semester sophomore.

Totally agree, in terms of experience he's a 2nd. semester sophomore.

Actually he is not. He played one semester last year, not two. He has played very little this season. So his experience levels about where a second semester freshman would be.

I'd like to believe Williamson returns and cements himself as the starting point guard next season. That would allow Whitt to increase his minutes, but still not have the pressure of running the offense for 30 minutes a game.

Maybe the recruiting services got this one wrong? Wasn't Ty Walker our highest graded recruit ever?

Not that I'm saying Whitt is Ty Walker level bad, but maybe he just can't play at this level and it's as simple as that.

I think he knows he has a lot of work to do to be effective in the ACC. I’m more concerned about McCray transferring and not being willing to sit behind Carter and Daivien next year. By all accounts he is an excellent defender with good handles/shooting/passing. Would like to see him get some minutes.

I’m a Carter fan and think he’s going to be good, but I watched those 4 TOs last night in six minutes and three of them were pretty damn bad.

If I had a dollar for every thread that has turned into a Will Carter Whitt ever be good enough referendum...

You guys know that we have four freshman guards correct? And only one of them gets any playing time at all at this point in the season?

Why is that the only one of the four that is constantly discussed as not good enough and that may need to transfer away from Wake?

I was also surprised how passive and deliberate we were. I hated it as the game went on but I guess it worked in the end. The press caused very few turnovers and we still managed to mostly score at an efficient level once we reached the half court.

We handled the press very well. Didn't get any layups, but didn't turn it over due to the press either. It was effective in reducing the number of Wake possessions. Fortunately our D was very good, and State wasn't able to score at its normal pace.

You guys know that we have four freshman guards correct? And only one of them gets any playing time at all at this point in the season?

Why is that the only one of the four that is constantly discussed as not good enough and that may need to transfer away from Wake?

Not sure many think Whitt will "need" to transfer. Think the concern is that, given the ease with which players can move to another program, Whitt may elect to transfer, given that his role at WF remains a work in progress, and given that he was coveted coming out of HS, with many options.

given that his role at WF remains a work in progress.

He is the only of the four that is getting any PT at all. If that role is a "work in progress" what would you call the role of the other 3 guys?

I don't participate much in the discussion on here, but it consistently baffles me every time I see the level of concern posters seem to have about Whitt when the other guys barely even get mentioned. I'm not interested in speculating about any of our guys potentially transferring, but logically the one actually getting PT is probably the least likely to transfer.

If I had a dollar for every thread that has turned into a Will Carter Whitt ever be good enough referendum...

it's funny cuz one of the longest standing bits on this board is mocking Ph for his Ish take when that same bullshit is literally driving like 2/3 of the posts on game threads

This is a great post. People get so tied up over someone's offer list that they're determined to fit a square peg into the round hole even if it requires a sledgehammer.
It's simply moving to that next level. It happens from middle school to the professional level. I definitely think Whitt can add tremendous value to a team and be a starter. I just don't see it being at this level.

He is the only of the four that is getting any PT at all. If that role is a "work in progress" what would you call the role of the other 3 guys?

I don't participate much in the discussion on here, but it consistently baffles me every time I see the level of concern posters seem to have about Whitt when the other guys barely even get mentioned. I'm not interested in speculating about any of our guys potentially transferring, but logically the one actually getting PT is probably the least likely to transfer.

Everyone should take it as given that any player who is getting little or no PT is a candidate to transfer. That was the case even before NCAA essentially allowed free agency. Whitt's future prospects come up on almost every game thread because he actually plays in every game. There is not much to talk about regarding Hildreth, Marsh, Lucas and McCray as they aren't getting meaningful minutes.

Back