• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 26: Pitt @ WF - Tuesday 9pm - ACCN

Oh please, a play like that can destroy a team’s chemistry. There better be ramifications for his selfish play even if he makes him do wind sprints until he throws up.
one bad play destroys what 7 months of team chemistry? I don’t buy it

Ramifications lol, he should start tomorrow night and play his normal minutes because he’s our best on ball defender. If the kid is worth any merit and by all accounts he is, I’m sure he’s pretty upset with his own decision making at the end of the game.

In general, I understand what you’re saying. But if a player has regrets about certain things he does on the court, he changes his playing style accordingly. I’ve seen him shake his head a lot at his bad and badly missed shots. But he keeps taking them.

I think there's middle ground here.

Cam is very valuable for his defense and rebounding, and we need him on the court. That said, there need to be at least internal ramifications if he abdicated the play to just take it himself (which it sounds like he did based on what Forbes said on Saturday after the game). I don't think we really need to hear about it as fans, and if he takes accountability for it with the team then that's all that matters to me so we avoid it again.

That's why I would have at least like to have seen the question be asked this AM about it as a follow-up to what Forbes verified to the media on Saturday.

Has a Steve Forbes team ever shown any signs that we should worry about team chemistry?

Exactly, and all we would've needed from Forbes was something as simple as, yes we've talked about it and everyone knows what to do next time. That would show that Cam has at least been held accountable.

Has a Steve Forbes team ever shown any signs that we should worry about team chemistry?
True, but I don’t remember any thing so egregious during his reign at Wake as what Cam pulled off at UVA.

These post games comments count as a huge call out for Forbes. He doesn’t name players like this

“But the last play was poorly executed. That play was, we run that play every day, not every day but three or four times a week. And that ball, first of all, Cameron had no business bringing it up. It was Hunter's ball to bring. I don't know what happened there. Then there's a step up ball screen to a backside flare like or hammer pass that you either go for two or you go for the three. He can do either one. He picked up his dribble, he's got to turn the corner. We got to set the backside flare, which was poorly executed even though I do think Parker was open on the skip. This is where you need a timeout, but we didn't have it so you got to run it. It's not like we haven't. We have and it was poorly executed, which ultimately comes on my shoulders.”

It’s speculation but this team has some symptoms on offense that would expect to see from teams with bad chemistry.

I personally think it’s more of a skillset gap / mismatch than a lack of chemistry. But we definitely see a lot of selfish play offensively, which I think is what happens naturally when you are consistently open and don’t get passed to while watching a teammate go hero ball / take a bad shot.

So at the end of the day, I think it’s the natural result of what happens to pretty much any team when they don’t have a point guard.

These post games comments count as a huge call out for Forbes. He doesn’t name players like this
True, but he says he doesn’t know what happened. It would have been nice if he was asked today if he found out from Cam what happened and why he did what he did. Did he panic or was it just that I am the best person to make this play. We are all in the dark about why he did what he did for a play they practice 3 or 4 times every week.

We definitely fall in love with bad shots, which probably contributes to our poor shooting on the road a good bit too.

From his comments it seems safe to say that his scheduling philosophy will be to avoid potential Q3 games. That will mean get used to the Q4 level opponents and hopefully he is able to find a couple that fall into that Q1/Q2 bucket. The issue there is to get that accomplished the game will most likely have to be away from the Joel.

We got some great meta questions/answers, but somehow dodged anything directly related to the game that just happened where we held the opponent to 49 points, only scored 47, and lost on a gaff.

ETA: maybe he addressed those in the immediate postgame interview?

I don't follow Pitt but it seems like Hinson is playing unbelievably well over the past couple months. In the first game, we were up 10 at half and they dropped a 50 spot on us and won going away. Hinson, Carrington and Leggett killed us that game (Leggett and Carrington each had career highs) and their guard play was just superior to our's. They also went 8/19 from deep and 17/21 from the line. They play well on the road too. Going to be a tough one.

Is there any early news on which pre-season tournaments that we might be involved in to start next season such as Maui, NIT or others where there will be several Q1 opportunities?

I’ve been saying for a while that the team this year has exhibited selfish play that hasn’t existed in prior years. Maybe because we lost Savage. Maybe because of Forbes family situation. Maybe this group of players hasn’t meshed as well. Who knows. Chemistry absolutely seems off this year though.

Last edited:
Back