• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 29: WF at Clemson - Wednesday 7 pm - ACCN

Mucius was acknowledged as ill. Several others played like they were trying to (maybe literally?) gut it out. However they had no energy and missed a lot. LaRavia and Walton should have feasted against Clemson. They couldn't make layups. I suspect multiple players were varying degrees of ailing. Shades of the Childress/Duncan NCAA tournament flu.

Seriously, our guys looked sick. I hope that was part of it.

I just made the comment the other day that we may finally be over this late season slump spell that's been over us the past 20 years.

I checked the ESPN scores last night after dinner and laughed.

Weird game all around.

- The weather was odd. Warmed up and foggy and very very humid. The floor was wet on one end the entire game. The ball was getting slippery, and getting wiped down constantly etc. I was sweating just watching.

- Our team was definitely hit with a bug. Ill no doubt. Walton for sure, and LaRavia did not act like himself. I heard Monsanto was sick but he played ok other than the air ball which exasperated Forbes.

- Clemson was getting under Walton and LaRavia in the post and pushing, and Forbes and Teddy V were engaged constantly.

- Clemson deserves credit. They played very hard, made some difficult shots, everything bouncing on the rim went in for them. Also Brownell beat us with a play out of every timeout. He was very animated. Fighting for his life.

- Heldrith is going to be good although Forbes chewed his ass when he got beat on d once. He seems like a tough kid, Cam needs to develop a dependable 3 point shot. He passed on multiple wide open shots and the offense bogged down.

- Marsh has good hands and is huge, he had a good game.

- the stretch we had down 1 twice was killer. I’m not going give the blow by blow of what I heard and saw, but let me just say it was not all kumbaya as Skip would say.

The team was not balanced last night. Physically or mentally. It was like someone put a spell on us. Weird.

The zone is still giving us problems and we have the pieces to beat it. Frustrating.

We can still get better. Our turnovers are stupid with our bigs making them in open space. LaRavia and Manman have got to stop killing us with those. As for turnovers from the point guard. Unacceptable. I imagine that bob is going to get minutes now as the other post demands. Play man man and Williamson at the point, and just play big.

- give th

We made Hunter looked almost identical to Devin Booker.

They ran tons of back cuts and Hildreth, who actually looked decent to solid on offense, got burned a lot. Our bigs were lost on those back cuts, drifting away from the hoop.

Marsh keeps his hands up and Alondes will find him for dunks - keep dunking it, no bunny layup crap.

Pitiful loss, and being sick is no excuse. If you want to play in the NCAA, gut out a win.

Just Brownell and Clemson continuing to dominate WF. I guess we will get them back in football? Baseball?

Relying on Wake Forest to win games in Brooklyn, NY is not a good idea.

to give context to the Brownell vs. WF numbers:

Odom, Prosser, and Gaudio went 30-10 against Clemson, including 11-7 at Clemson. None of those three guys had a losing record at Littlejohn.

Looking sick and being sick are two different things. Forbes didn't mention that at all in the post game. Sure you want to play through it if you are, but I'd think the coach would bring it up at least as a factor.

Looking sick and being sick are two different things. Forbes didn't mention that at all in the post game. Sure you want to play through it if you are, but I'd think the coach would bring it up at least as a factor.

Mucius was reported as too ill to play. Type of illness not specified. The guys are reported to be close. Non-zero probability a significant number may be sick or were getting sick but still well enough to play at Clemson. We will know more with the weekend game.

Saw it on Twitter, but someone posted that we played like the Coyote's from Varsity Blues the night after they went to the strip club. Pretty accurate, I must say.

Mucius was reported as too ill to play. Type of illness not specified. The guys are reported to be close. Non-zero probability a significant number may be sick or were getting sick but still well enough to play at Clemson. We will know more with the weekend game.

Mucius was confirmed and sitting behind the bench (so shouldn't be covid related). Jake and Walton not being able to hit layups for most of the game and Alondes sitting on the bench for 14 minutes didn't look illness related. Jake did the post game didn't sound ill there.

We just fail to realize that, no matter their record, teams are not going to just lay down for us. We have to impose our will on these teams early and break them. Instead we let them feel there is hope.

My biggest complaint is that we just gave unc the automatic bye in the acc tourney.

We're 1.5 games behind a shit UNC team. That's embarrassing.

Rewatched the game (which was a mistake) and us not attacking the zone is baffling. I know it's not this simple and Forbes knows what he's doing, but IMHO if we put Jake at the top and Marsh/Dallas/Sy (before getting hurt) in the paint...we win that game. Not having Mucius hurt us here as well. Jake really should not have been trying to penetrate the zone dribbling around the perimeter. This also very much limited Alondes in terms of being able to drive/dish (plus the cheap fouls).

I also have no idea why we continued to settle for contested threes (we shot 32 of them last night...we shot 17 against ND who rolled out a similar zone).

Bottom line, we played like shit but that was also a poor game plan/lack of execution across the board. I am not at all opposed to putting in a zone against a team like Clemson. We were getting absolutely cooked on defense because our guards were way out of position and/or the help on swing passes was way too late which led to open threes and lots of points in transition.

Also, Carter looked really bad out there but he's 1% to blame for the loss (but like 90% to blame for the momentum shift late in the second half when we could have taken a lead). We should have and easily could have put that game away early and we shit the bed. Literally, everyone is to blame for that loss. I'm comforted by the fact that we haven't had that extent of a train wreck in a while. Beat UL and State and make some noise in the ACCT. We have a good team.

Kinda weird that our strategy against the Syracuse zone was to throw it to Laravia at the FT line, then ????, then profit. We didn't do that at all yesterday.

Rewatched the game (which was a mistake) and us not attacking the zone is baffling. I know it's not this simple and Forbes knows what he's doing, but IMHO if we put Jake at the top and Marsh/Dallas/Sy (before getting hurt) in the paint...we win that game. Not having Mucius hurt us here as well. Jake really should not have been trying to penetrate the zone dribbling around the perimeter. This also very much limited Alondes in terms of being able to drive/dish (plus the cheap fouls).

I also have no idea why we continued to settle for contested threes (we shot 32 of them last night...we shot 17 against ND who rolled out a similar zone).

Bottom line, we played like shit but that was also a poor game plan/lack of execution across the board. I am not at all opposed to putting in a zone against a team like Clemson. We were getting absolutely cooked on defense because our guards were way out of position and/or the help on swing passes was way too late which led to open threes and lots of points in transition.

Also, Carter looked really bad out there but he's 1% to blame for the loss (but like 90% to blame for the momentum shift late in the second half when we could have taken a lead). We should have and easily could have put that game away early and we shit the bed. Literally, everyone is to blame for that loss. I'm comforted by the fact that we haven't had that extent of a train wreck in a while. Beat UL and State and make some noise in the ACCT. We have a good team.

Attacking the zone is known as Wake's weakness, and has been Forbes' biggest issue. We saw it at the Carrier Dome, vs NC State for 35 minutes, vs ND, and vs Clemson. The film is out - and keeping Alondes out of the lane, and out of 1 on 1 matchups is how you beat Wake. Jake for some reason is way too indecisive in the middle of the zone on offense, which is really strange for a smart player.

I also have no idea why we continued to settle for contested threes (we shot 32 of them last night...we shot 17 against ND who rolled out a similar zone)

Because despite the uptick in talent the collective basketball IQ of this team is maddeningly low and non-existent at times. There is zero reason this team should be taking more than 20 threes per game with such a high eFG% on two point baskets.

Zero.

Kinda weird that our strategy against the Syracuse zone was to throw it to Laravia at the FT line, then ????, then profit. We didn't do that at all yesterday.

Because it didn't work at all and there was no profit (particularly in the Carrier Dome). Think we've looked best attacking the zone when Mucius gets it in the middle, actually. But we've only done that sparingly that I recall.

Weird game all around.

- Our team was definitely hit with a bug. Ill no doubt. Walton for sure, and LaRavia did not act like himself. I heard Monsanto was sick but he played ok other than the air ball which exasperated Forbes.

Every time the camera zoomed in on Monsanto he had a 1000 yard stare and looked like he was just trying not to ralph. IDK how he managed to do what he did.

If it's accurate that the team was hit by the flu, hope its a 24 hour deal because isn't going to give WF a pass for stumbling down the stretch because of the flu.

LaRavia didn’t seem sick when he told the Clemson crowd “shhhhhhh” after that 3. Weird timing considering Wake never had a lead and the opponent had lost 6 straight.

Back